Do a Little Dance

Five Seasons

For the people that dont get it, Belo originally posted this when the crossbow bill was removed from the budget vote. He thought that was some sort of victory for his anti-crossbow agenda. He was mistaken.

i don't see how it wasn't a victory.... it wasn't an end all be all. But it certainly was a win for the good guys. Your "new bill" is very vague mentioning crossbows for some areas of the state? and needs plenty of additional steps still.

Edited by Belo

It wasnt a victory because the bill did not get voted against, the vote was just delayed. Theres nothing vague about the bill, its the same exact one. It will give the DEC the authority to regulate crossbows as a legal hunting implement. Once the bill is passed and in the books, the DEC doesnt need many steps to include them. They have already done the leg work when they drew up the 5 year plan, they did the public comment thing back then. They will just need to put the new regulations in the book.

You can live in denial all you want, but this issue is very close to being over and done with for good.

• Like 1

You mean the same "tree forts" that I now hunt out of with my vertical bow? Just FYI, I will probably buy a crossbow, but I wont be changing the way I hunt (except for the normal advancements, etc that I would make regardless), I wont be giving up my vertical bow, or anything like that. If I do get a crossbow, it wont be on a bipod or anything like that, and Ill be taking the same shots as I would with a vertical bow, because i realize they arent much different.

Nothing I do will affect you or anyone else, and none of the doomsday scenarios that NYB and their ilk profess will come to fruition.

• Like 1

only time will tell i guess. if they become legal then 10 years from now we will have data to look at and really decide if they helped or hurt the community. Nobody on either side right now can claim they will help or hurt. We can hypothesize, but only time will tell.

• Like 1

only time will tell i guess. if they become legal then 10 years from now we will have data to look at and really decide if they helped or hurt the community. Nobody on either side right now can claim they will help or hurt. We can hypothesize, but only time will tell.

Just look at Ohio or other states where they have been in place. Want some more recent data, look at PA. The proof is there, you just have to look.

hilarious you will never give an inch. There are plenty of articles against the crossbow as well. Why you can't just agree that we can't settle this debate today is baffling. It's like talking to a wall. At least I will admit that nobody can be right or wrong until the program has been implemented.

Articles written by NYB and their ilk? Ive read them and have never once seen any reason they give that is based on anything other than their opinions or feelings, and complete misinformation. The facts are out there, alot of them presented by unbiased sources, but you are too biased and entrenched to NYB and the kool aid they gave you to drink, to look at them objectively. I get it, its a completely emotional subject for you. Fine. I base my opinions on the states that have already proven what happens, not by what ifs and could happens, or I dont want someone who is "less of a hunter" to shoot "my deer". Want me to give an inch, present real data that shows crossbows to be detrimental to the herd or the sport.

Honestly, if you dont want to talk about it, then stop replying to me, but dont tell me to stop talking about it.

and then you can do your dance and buy your crossbow. I will be so envious of you and the other crossbow hunters hunting out of tree forts with your bow out the window resting on a bipod.

I will hunt from the ground (like I only do) with my xbow and shoot YOUR deer.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

No. Grew up hunting deer with a shotgun from the ground. When I got into xbow hunting, I had no urge to limit myself to a tree. I've had deer eating the bushes I'm sitting in, never felt a need to carry in n out a climber.<br /><br />Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2<br /><br />

the successful hunters will always do well regardless of the weapon...those who suck and pick up a crossbow in hopes of doing better will still suck. and eventually they will give up on that too......

I agree.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

the successful hunters will always do well regardless of the weapon...those who suck and pick up a crossbow in hopes of doing better will still suck. and eventually they will give up on that too......

and if you're hunting public land or shared private land, taking a precious vacation day, up early and scent free in your favorite spot enjoying the sun rise and some clown comes traipsing through the woods with his crossbow, orange hat and smoking a cigarette it wont bother you? Because what I'm describing to you is an actual experience I had during gun season, but has never once happened to me during bow season. Will the failed crossbow hunter give up eventually? Probably... but will archery season ever be the same?

-Your resident elitist NYB member

and if you're hunting public land or shared private land, taking a precious vacation day, up early and scent free in your favorite spot enjoying the sun rise and some clown comes traipsing through the woods with his crossbow, orange hat and smoking a cigarette it wont bother you? Because what I'm describing to you is an actual experience I had during gun season, but has never once happened to me during bow season. Will the failed crossbow hunter give up eventually? Probably... but will archery season ever be the same?

you just described what I fear is going to happen if the crossbow attracts those who were to lazy to take up archery in the first place and never appreciated what bow season is all about. I personally think they have a spot, maybe after bow season and before rifle.......but, I'd rather not see them in what is currently "bow season"........

First of all, you seem to be making the assumption that he knew you were there and did that on purpose. Maybe he did, but my bet is that he didnt mean to. Even if he had seen you and turned around, youd still call him a clown and cop your attitude against him.

Second, that kind of thing has happened in the past during bow season as well, the stories are posted up on here each year. Dont believe me? Go through the bow hunting and deer hunting sections and youll find them. The only difference in many of the stories are the color of the hat and the weapon being carried. Shoot, that type of thing has happened to me on private ground, whats the difference? I still see and kill deer, sometimes not long after some "clown" goes by. It happens, and is part of hunting, get over it.

Third, if you want less of a chance of dealing with the "slobs" or "clowns", you have a couple of options. If you hunt public ground, get back deeper into places that the majority of hunters dont go. Dont hop up in your climber 100 yards from the parking lot and then piss and moan because someone walked by you. The other option is to hunt private land. Go get permission or buy your own land, then you dont have as much to worry about.

• Like 1

you just described what I fear is going to happen if the crossbow attracts those who were to lazy to take up archery in the first place and never appreciated what bow season is all about. I personally think they have a spot, maybe after bow season and before rifle.......but, I'd rather not see them in what is currently "bow season"........

exactly. it has nothing to do with fear of them shooting "my deer" as my fans like to claim. It has everything to do with them ruining my "experience" and changing the tradition of bow hunting and what my son will experience when he's old enough. There was article posted on here a while back about crossbows in Ohio and how they have changed the experience, but I cant seem to find it.

First of all, you seem to be making the assumption that he knew you were there and did that on purpose. Maybe he did, but my bet is that he didnt mean to. Even if he had seen you and turned around, youd still call him a clown and cop your attitude against him.

Second, that kind of thing has happened in the past during bow season as well, the stories are posted up on here each year. Dont believe me? Go through the bow hunting and deer hunting sections and youll find them. The only difference in many of the stories are the color of the hat and the weapon being carried. Shoot, that type of thing has happened to me on private ground, whats the difference? I still see and kill deer, sometimes not long after some "clown" goes by. It happens, and is part of hunting, get over it.

Third, if you want less of a chance of dealing with the "slobs" or "clowns", you have a couple of options. If you hunt public ground, get back deeper into places that the majority of hunters dont go. Dont hop up in your climber 100 yards from the parking lot and then piss and moan because someone walked by you. The other option is to hunt private land. Go get permission or buy your own land, then you dont have as much to worry about.

I have only hunted public land 3 times several years ago. The incident actually occurred on private land and the guy was trespassing. I have never seen this during bow season as I know little to no bowhunters who stalk and stomp about. I am not ignorant enough to believe it doesn't happen, but can we all agree it's more prevalent during gun? So, if you're really going to sit here and pretend there is not a general difference between bowhunter and weekend gun hunter then I'm not sure we can keep talking. I know little to no weekend bow hunters. Those that I know who bowhunt take it very seriously. I know very serious gun hunters too, but I also know plenty of "deer camp" gun hunters who have little respect for the guy on the land next door or understanding of what a posted sign means. There are always the exception to the case, but for arguments sakes lets remove the outliers.

I don't want this hunter in archery season. I'm not ashamed to say it. Regular and late season are plenty long enough for this type of hunter to get their time in the woods. Why must they now have more opportunity to clown around pretending to be Daryl? This is thread number 302 on crossbows, and still nobody has told me why crossbows will be a good thing for NY. If you want more deer taken, crossbows do not achieve that. Your bow/mz stamp is still in affect. Your number of dmp's are still the same, the late season is still there for you to take a buck and some doe with your smoke pole.

I have made my positions clear several times on why I believe they will be detrimental to the season as we now know it. And the best I've heard in response is that I'm selfish, elitist and who am I to decide the weapon you're allowed to use. That's just it right? You want to be able to use it and you just don't like being told you cant. Human nature is to crave the thing we cant have isn't it? Use it during regular and late for all I care. You'll not hear a peep out of me.

Finally, what about all the bowhunters who don't have the luxury of private land? Screw them because your solution is to not hunt public land? Now who's anti-hunter?

Outside of the cigarette what is the guy doing wrong? 

1. He is hunting public land.

2. He is hunting legally.

3. He is wearing an orange hat, so what? I do the same with my xbow even during archery season in PA. I'd rather be safe than sorry, no matter if the land is public or private. I plan to wear an orange hat when I hunt CT archery season this year with my xbow. Same goes for NY when it becomes legal. I've always been taught to wear orange and I've never had a problem seeing deer when I hunt. Why would I change now? Maybe orange has never saved me from being shot at, but I'd rather not find out the hard way.

In addition to my post above:

If you don't like sharing the woods with other people, then go buy your own property and patrol it.  Many of us (myself included) don't have the luxury of ever hunting deer and not seeing at least 1 other hunter each day out there.

I'm 100% againts illegal hunters, but if they are hunting legally, there is nothing to you can do. Ethics is a whole other topic.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

I have only hunted public land 3 times several years ago. The incident actually occurred on private land and the guy was trespassing. I have never seen this during bow season as I know little to no bowhunters who stalk and stomp about. I am not ignorant enough to believe it doesn't happen, but can we all agree it's more prevalent during gun? So, if you're really going to sit here and pretend there is not a general difference between bowhunter and weekend gun hunter then I'm not sure we can keep talking. I know little to no weekend bow hunters. Those that I know who bowhunt take it very seriously. I know very serious gun hunters too, but I also know plenty of "deer camp" gun hunters who have little respect for the guy on the land next door or understanding of what a posted sign means. There are always the exception to the case, but for arguments sakes lets remove the outliers.

I don't want this hunter in archery season. I'm not ashamed to say it. Regular and late season are plenty long enough for this type of hunter to get their time in the woods. Why must they now have more opportunity to clown around pretending to be Daryl? This is thread number 302 on crossbows, and still nobody has told me why crossbows will be a good thing for NY. If you want more deer taken, crossbows do not achieve that. Your bow/mz stamp is still in affect. Your number of dmp's are still the same, the late season is still there for you to take a buck and some doe with your smoke pole.

I have made my positions clear several times on why I believe they will be detrimental to the season as we now know it. And the best I've heard in response is that I'm selfish, elitist and who am I to decide the weapon you're allowed to use. That's just it right? You want to be able to use it and you just don't like being told you cant. Human nature is to crave the thing we cant have isn't it? Use it during regular and late for all I care. You'll not hear a peep out of me.

Finally, what about all the bowhunters who don't have the luxury of private land? Screw them because your solution is to not hunt public land? Now who's anti-hunter?

Stop trying to put words in my mouth, or bait me into saying something I did not mean, belo. Your attempt to spin my post into something it is not is piss poor. In fact, most of what you do in these conversations is to just throw out bold faced lies.

First, there are differences between all hunters, the weapon they use doesnt matter. Disrespect and trespassing are problems common to all hunting seasons. I am not going to get sucked into your elitist nonsense.

Second, you make a comment that you dont want someone in hunting season and then make a completely stupid insinuation that I am the anti hunter? Please. Go try and sell your bridge to someone else.

Third, I never said dont hunt public land, go back and read.

BELO --

In regards to this:

"and if you're hunting public land or shared private land, taking a precious vacation day, up early and scent free in your favorite spot enjoying the sun rise and some clown comes traipsing through the woods with his crossbow, orange hat and smoking a cigarette it wont bother you? Because what I'm describing to you is an actual experience I had during gun season, but has never once happened to me during bow season."

I am coming for you!!!! HAHA

post-871-0-18238200-1366317459_thumb.jpg