Receiving an "Ar15" from a parent living in another state?

Happy Easter everyone.

Out of state visiting the family this spring break and was thinking about something. What if my father wanted to buy a "Ar15" and then gift it to me to bring home to NY?

Any thoughts on this? I really am not sure the legality of it...even if I lived somewhere besides NY. Not like I plan on complying with registering any firearms with NY.

Just thinking out loud...right now.

Pretty sure its illegal for New York residents to acquire an assault weapon after the law passed in January. But technically they can't prove when you acquired it after that if you got it from your dad. Unless you do something really dumb like you post on a forum about it.

• Like 1

I have been reading up on this alot. If you brought a AR15 in to NY it would be illegal, because anything with a detachable magazine is considered a assault weapon (they really are called tactical rifles), if it has one feature. This is where there is kind of a loop hole right now in the NY Safe Act. The lower receiver of the AR is what is considered the GUN part and has to go through a FFL dealer and has the serial number. If you have a stripped lower with nothing in it, it is legal to buy this in NY state. The lower is the only regulated part, all the other parts can be purchased online or any wheres and delivered right to you house. If you don't believe me about the stripped lower check out this link. The way the safe act reads says a assault weapon is a semi-automatic and accept detachable magazine and must have one of the features, pistol grip that protruding below the action ,bayonet mount  threaded barrel, folding or telescoping stock, grenade launcher. So bringing back a stripped lower is legal. Building it to be compliant is is where it becomes tricky.  There are some nice CA Compliant AR out there and a thing called a bullet button, which then makes the magazine only detectable with a tool (a bullet has been ruled a tool in CA)

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=529130217130076&set=a.218432318199869.50894.190850484291386&type=1&theater

You may have to have the lower shipped back to a FFL dealer. Since it is legal that may be the best option. You can order one right from this site, and have it shipped to your FFL dealer. They will just need to contact Aero and fax there FFL info over.  The Aero lowers are awesome, and if you watch their site and sign up for text alerts, you may get lucky and get blemished lowers for $100.

http://aeroprecisionusa.com/shop/ar15-stripped-lower-receiver

Edited by HectorBuckBuster

Happy Easter everyone.

Out of state visiting the family this spring break and was thinking about something. What if my father wanted to buy a "Ar15" and then gift it to me to bring home to NY?

Any thoughts on this? I really am not sure the legality of it...even if I lived somewhere besides NY. Not like I plan on complying with registering any firearms with NY.

Just thinking out loud...right now.

if your not complying why are you worried if its legal? just asking.....

It was just a thought while in North Carolina on vacation. Looking for a "family" loophole which I figured did not exist...but, how many plan on registering their guns with the state?

On a side note; I went to a store today and bought Triple 7 black powder right off the shelf. No id needed. Powder or pellets; no matter. The fire marshall in Monroe County does not even let Gander Mtn. sell black powder... Period!

Shelves down here are empty of ammo, too. Unless you're looking for shotgun shells. Wanted to buy some boxes of 40 instead of giving NY the taxes.

hahaha, i go to school in NC, born and raised in upstate NY though.  You want an AR15 in NC, itll take longer to count the cash than any of the back ground checks/waiting periods involved.  Ill be watching this, i might have to make some purchases while im down there before i move home, and am wondering what all might be involved in legally bringing it back.

Another possible way to bring an AR back to NY is to completely dissassemble the lower, so its just a bare lower (free of all components that make it classified as an Assualt Rifle by the safe act) and then transfer it from NC to NY via a dealer.  Pick up the bare lower and reassemble your parts in it.  Just a thought

Another possible way to bring an AR back to NY is to completely dissassemble the lower, so its just a bare lower (free of all components that make it classified as an Assualt Rifle by the safe act) and then transfer it from NC to NY via a dealer. Pick up the bare lower and reassemble your parts in it. Just a thought

No you can't. You can purchase and transfer the stripped lower, but it is illegal to assemble it.