Heartland Lodge (Illinois)

Geno C

hey geno try western illinois outfitters the guys in proline archery shop went there  and liked it the other idont know, just  be cautous cause these places  EVERTHING  cost you they charge a trophy fee if you shoot a big buck , if they put you in a trophy area and shoot a buck smaller than 130 or 140 [has to be past the ears ] they fine youTHEY TELL YOU how much to tip the guide stuff ask questions before hand  they can charge a capping fee stuff adds up  how you make out w/ the property you sold  it?

Yes I got a call today from my buyer and he was informed we closed today. I'm going to call my lawyer tomorrow. Literally a few days after you were going to look at the property a few months ago a guy from your neck of the woods went up and loved it.

I am always doing heavy heavy research on outfitters. I will search hunting forums in that state and nearby state, I google owners names, etc.  Personally, I prefer small family run businesses. However, I did have a great experience in Wyoming. 20 Mule Deer hunters there the same week as me and all but 1 tagged out.

I took a quick glance at Harpole's Heartland Lodge. I assume you are bowhunting?  In my opinion, I would not go there for 3 main reasons. 

1. They quote 60% opportunity rate (which includes gun hunters).  Obviously this means "success rates" are even lower than 60%, so say 40-50% success rates.  Depending on the cost of the hunt, this might not be bad.  However,

2. $3,950 for a Nov. Rut Hunt (Archery). Thats very high for such low success rates.  Also a lot of $ considering your sitting in a treestand/blind.  Not like your $ is going towards gas and/or guide's time. I assume you are dropped off and picked off.

3. Way too commericalized of an outfitter business in my opinion.

I think you can go somewhere for 5-7 days archery with 80+% success rates for around $3,500.

ive been looking into big dog outfitters in Kansas. one of the new members here was a guide there and said it was a great family run operation that really caters to the client. not the best lodging but what it lacks in accommodations he said it more then makes up for in the hunting. thats what i am looking for, i can careless about the lodge or food. i want great hunting with an owner or guide that can and will try their best to put you on a big deer.ever look into BDO?

Geno try Trophy Bowhunters of ILLINOIS, TROY HUNTER OR BILL CAPUTO 1-800-299-3073

CELL# 309-231-5059  PRICE IS REASONABLE ! He seems like a nice guy spoke to him at length and maybe next year I will book with him .They only hunt the first three weeks of Nov. success rates of 25 to 60 percent.you can call Dan King from Orchard Park 716-783-6826 for a reference .Let me know how it works out ....

I am always doing heavy heavy research on outfitters. I will search hunting forums in that state and nearby state, I google owners names, etc.  Personally, I prefer small family run businesses. However, I did have a great experience in Wyoming. 20 Mule Deer hunters there the same week as me and all but 1 tagged out.

I took a quick glance at Harpole's Heartland Lodge. I assume you are bowhunting?  In my opinion, I would not go there for 3 main reasons. 

1. They quote 60% opportunity rate (which includes gun hunters).  Obviously this means "success rates" are even lower than 60%, so say 40-50% success rates.  Depending on the cost of the hunt, this might not be bad.  However,

2. $3,950 for a Nov. Rut Hunt (Archery). Thats very high for such low success rates.  Also a lot of $ considering your sitting in a treestand/blind.  Not like your $ is going towards gas and/or guide's time. I assume you are dropped off and picked off.

3. Way too commericalized of an outfitter business in my opinion.

I think you can go somewhere for 5-7 days archery with 80+% success rates for around $3,500.

Your dead on about the place. I guided for them. Success rates are very low and farms are over hunted. Your money is never going towards gas there. They don't pay the guides gas. We have to use our own trucks and pay for the gas to haul heartlands clients around. It was messed up

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

• 3 months later...

Geno try Trophy Bowhunters of ILLINOIS, TROY HUNTER OR BILL CAPUTO 1-800-299-3073

CELL# 309-231-5059  PRICE IS REASONABLE ! He seems like a nice guy spoke to him at length and maybe next year I will book with him .They only hunt the first three weeks of Nov. success rates of 25 to 60 percent.you can call Dan King from Orchard Park 716-783-6826 for a reference .Let me know how it works out ....

I would think twice about this outfit. See link, a crook!!

http://www.timesobserver.com/page/content.detail/id/564070/Grand-Valley-man-indicted-in-Ill---.html