Bolts

apoallo

I am looking for decent to good crossbow bolts.  for hunting. I am currently using the gander mountain brand it was $29.99 for a half dozen.. I have noticed that they break very easy. I am also looking for an easier way to discharge the crossbow after I come out of the woods empty handed. I have been switching the broadhead with a field tip and shooting the bolt into a pile of dirt or the grass. which also leads to broken bolts. any suggestions on new bolts and a better way to dischage.???

In the not too distant past, they were commonly referred to as bolts. If you ever get into a discussion with a Xbow fanatic, they'll correct you - arrows.

Arrow selection (material, size. wgt, etc) is dependent on your Xbow specs. Do your due diligence and research them and what the mfger suggests generally is determined by their testing. Not always, marketing has a role. Selecting an arrow for strictly achieving the Xbow's advertised max speed might not be the ideal choice. I think more so with Xbows than vertical bows, you get what you pay for in arrows from the major mfgers.

One of the major arrow mfgers makes a one-time use, disposable arrow for releasing Xbows. Pretty convenient, but over time I'll bet it gets costly. Your on the right track with keeping an old arrow w/field point  handy. All you need (as suggested) is a old Xbow target handy. Suppose a bale of straw/hay would do in a pinch. Even an old conventional broadhead block target might be dense enough to capture the Xbow arrow with a field point. Not sure, try it...? I for one, can't justify buying a new, dedicated target for this meaningless task.

One of the major arrow mfgers makes a one-time use, disposable arrow for releasing Xbows. Pretty convenient, but over time I'll bet it gets costly. Your on the right track with keeping an old arrow w/field point  handy. All you need (as suggested) is a old Xbow target handy. Suppose a bale of straw/hay would do in a pinch. Even an old conventional broadhead block target might be dense enough to capture the Xbow arrow with a field point. Not sure, try it...? I for one, can't justify buying a new, dedicated target for this meaningless task.

Are you guys saying that you can't unload a xbow without shooting it? 

I have carbon express and do as you take a field tipped one with me ...but after the hunt last year I would walk by my 3-D set and shoot or hit one of the many rotten stumps in the woods....just make sure it's good and rotted....or you'll be out the next day with a hatchet in hand...lol

• 3 weeks later...

I have a tiny broadhead target that was $19.99, it is like 12"x12"....I leave it in the woods or in my car and shoot when I get out of the woods each night. I always carry 4 bolts with broadheads with me. I use the same 1 to discharge all the time, so I don't dull any of my 3 hunting bolts/broadheads.