Good Muzzleloader to Start with

mike35mmnut

There were some instances where CVA plugs had smaller diameter ignition holes than what BH209 likes. I believe if you have a new hand removable breech plug (not one you need a tool for), then you should be fine. But, put it this way...if the MZ doesn't like BH209...I'll find another MZ. Being able to go to the range and have 1/10th of the build-up, and the ability to customize your load over pellets is worth it.

For most modern inline MZ, people do not use balls/conicals (although sometimes people do - that's the fun with MZ). Usually those are found in older design MZ. Modern options will shock you with accuracy potential once you get used to shooting MZ and get dialed in.

Some common, and good combination projectiles (sabots and the bullet):

Hornady SST

Hornady XTP (even better when paired with harvester crush rib sabots for most people)

Pretty much the entire Barnes line-up

Harvester line, too

Some people like Aerotip...but most do not. I am not a fan.

Many people shoot 250-300 grain variants of these bullets with anywhere from 90-100 grains of BH209 by volume or two 50gr 777 Pellets and find a good happy middle ground.

Going to the Hamburg PA Cabelas?

If so, and you like bargains, check out the back bargain room. I got my MZ there and saved a bunch of money. Alot of times they just have overstock in there...I picked up my Vortek UL for darn near $200 less than any place else.

Yep, that's exactly where I'm going.  OK cool, Ill check it out and let you know if I find anything good!.. Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it!  I also saw that CVA has a DVD for people just getting into ML's.  Do you think that may be worth a purchase for a novice like me?

Honestly, probably not worth it. You can learn so much online thatspending money on it would be a waste. There are quite a few people here who are versed in MZ that can chime in.

The Cabela's stock varies at times, so they may not have the Accura in stock...if you are not dead set on it, they'll have plenty of good models to choose from at various price points. I would suggest, if you are buying ONE MZ only (famous last words!), look into a model with a cerakote or other similar coating to help longevity over a basic blued barrel.

Does anyone have experience with the CVA Accura V2??  I also am looking to purchase my first ever ML.  Also, What else is required to get going?  I haven't seen an article or anything that explains how ML's work and how to load them and tools or equipment that's needed.  Any info would be great!  Sorry, don't mean to hijack your thread, but was thinking of posting a similar one.

I shoot the Apex which is damn near the same thing ,Apex has interchangeable barrels . The thing is a beast , so much fun and accurate as heck . I shoot the BH209 and i bought the BH breech plug , i tried shooting the White Hot pellets and they are complete garbage , No consistency at all and they are dirty as hell , the BH209 is so much cleaner and you can get multiple shots between swabing but i always push a brush between shots just to mimic the "one"shot during hunting season.

• 4 weeks later...

(Don't tear me apart people)
Okay, so I'm just throwing this out there... CVA made a .50 cal a while back called the Electra. It uses a 9v battery instead of the standard primer. I bought it because I did some reading and heard only good things. They knew introducing such a different setup everything must be top notch, and it is. I use a lithium battery so it works in the worst imaginable conditions. They come with a bergara barrel which are very accurate. What sold me though is how cheap they are because not many people want to buy them because its different. Look on the sportsmanguide site and you can get a sweet looking SS barrel gun for a fraction of the cost of anything else. I love mine, but people will give you crap about it. I just silence them when I bring home a buck and they complain how their primer wouldn't work because it got wet.

Okay, so I'm just throwing this out there... CVA made a .50 cal a while back called the Electra. It uses a 9v battery instead of the standard primer. I bought it because I did some reading and heard only good things. They knew introducing such a different setup everything must be top notch, and it is. I use a lithium battery so it works in the worst imaginable conditions. They come with a bergara barrel which are very accurate. What sold me though is how cheap they are because not many people want to buy them because its different. Look on the sportsmanguide site and you can get a sweet looking SS barrel gun for a fraction of the cost of anything else. I love mine, but people will give you shit about it. I just silence them when I bring home a buck and they complain how their primer wouldn't work because it got wet.

Finally, someone comes forward with some good info on the Electra. Glad to see u like it. Does this solve the issues with missfire? Anything u don't like about it? Edited by landtracdeerhunter

I've never misfired with it. It is deadly accurate even with the fact I never played with rounds or loads. Put 100gr of 777 and a 350 gr hornady FPB and shoot 2" groups at 100 and said, yep good enough. I bought the best lithium battery I could find at Wally World just so I had no doubt it would work. The SS barrel I have is beyond resistant to corrosion. I left a round in there with the charge for a year (dumb me) shot it in the back yard and scrubbed it clean. Looks new. The stock is so neat looking too, I love the webbed pain design on it. I will say though, stick to 777's or that 209 blackthorn stuff because I tried the whitehot powder and it barely ever fired. It was the first powder I bought for the gun and almost threw the gun out thinking it was a piece of sh!t but I switched to 777 and never had a problem, and I don't baby my guns in the field like some

One thing I can add though is the breach plug is nice, and havnt had any issues, but over time I can saw with corrosion and such it may need to be replaced to ensure it will constantly have a clean connection with the powder. That being said, since the gun is doscontinued, I would grab an extra while you can. I got one on ganders website for less than $15

Okay, so I'm just throwing this out there... CVA made a .50 cal a while back called the Electra. It uses a 9v battery instead of the standard primer. I bought it because I did some reading and heard only good things. They knew introducing such a different setup everything must be top notch, and it is. I use a lithium battery so it works in the worst imaginable conditions. They come with a bergara barrel which are very accurate. What sold me though is how cheap they are because not many people want to buy them because its different. Look on the sportsmanguide site and you can get a sweet looking SS barrel gun for a fraction of the cost of anything else. I love mine, but people will give you crap about it. I just silence them when I bring home a buck and they complain how their primer wouldn't work because it got wet.

It is a neat setup, but peopel are slow to adapt to battery use.

The other thing is some states do not allow it in MZ season. NY does, but I know some don't.

It is a neat setup, but peopel are slow to adapt to battery use.

The other thing is some states do not allow it in MZ season. NY does, but I know some don't.

Holy crap, did I just hear somthing that NYS allows and other don't that doesn't rhyme with tax?

One thing I can add though is the breach plug is nice, and havnt had any issues, but over time I can saw with corrosion and such it may need to be replaced to ensure it will constantly have a clean connection with the powder. That being said, since the gun is doscontinued, I would grab an extra while you can. I got one on ganders website for less than $15

Ganders sold out, so is Buds. Buds said they could get me a used one. I like the idea of not using a primer, not having to fight with fouling in that area. Also like the fact, that a steady spark is ignited in the same area of the charge, unlike 209's give.

I wanted to talk to bubba, a past member on here, about these guns. He was a muzzleloader guru!

Yeah, I got it because honestly I was broke and I picked mine up for under 200 I think for stainless and a scope. The quality is amazing I must say with it. Either way, for $200 you can't go wrong. You could just sell it and only lose say $50. I've spent more money on subway in the past year :P