Good Muzzleloader to Start with

mike35mmnut

I am interested in buying a Muzzleloader this year but honestly do not know much about them.  I know they require more care and need to be cleaned (but I clean all my firearms so not really worried about that).  I am looking for a quality firearm to hunt deer next year on my own land.  I am looking for suggestions?

Hands down the best overall value is goig to be the CVA Wolf. Opinions vary, but the Wolf will garner the most votes if it were a contest.

It's price point vs. features make it a great brush gun to beat around with, a great gun for youth with its smaller frame, a good beginner MZ hunter choice, and accurate enough for a veteran. I own plenty of guns...and I still find time to kill deer with the Wolf. I shot a nice doe last season with mine and it looks like it went through hell.

• Like 1

I started out with a cheap ML, and sold it after a year to get something nice. I went with a TC Encore. Its a great gun, and gives you a ton of other options (rifle, shotgun, pistol, ML) with the interchangeable barrel system. Lots of custom stock and other options as well. Prices vary, but you can get a good deal on used ones with some looking around.

• Like 1

for my fifth wedding anniversary, after my wife (now ex) stood me up for dinner, i stopped at walmart, bought the cheapest inline, with a 3x9 tasco and mounts, sling and some powerbelts. all around $250. plastic stock, some black coating on the metal, its taken quite a beating and many deer, longest shot was about 200 yrds so its just as accurate or more than i am. and i hate to say it, but its lasted longer than the marriage did!  

Stick with an inline. A few years back my buddy and i decided to get 'more traditional' so i bought a cabellas hawkins reproduction cap and ball gun. its a hoot to shoot, but it very sensitive to moisture, so if it foggy or raining it a crapshoot as to if or when it will go off. 

I have a cheap traditions buckhunter that I attempted to start muzzleloading with. I could never get it to group well (I'm talk couldn't keep it on a paper plate) so never felt comfortable enough using for hunting I would just go sit in the woods with it and watch the wildlife. <br />A couple years ago I was on my way to the range to attempt to sight it in again and I stopped at Walmart for more targets and somehow left with a CVA WOLF. It was under $200 and worth every penny. It is accurate, easy to clean, and goes bang every time.

In todays market any new TC , CVA or knight will do you fine. I would try to handle some and see what one fits you best. If you shoot pistol bullets and buy sabots in bulk it is a great fun way to shoot cheap and hunt with a great bullet.

Thanks for all the info.  I am still in the looking phase but like to make a plan.  I think I want a 30/30 before the muzzleloader but I was having a problem starting the process.  Thanks again for everyone's time and I have looked all of them up and have a much better idea now.

I really like the TC line but they are expense.  I am not sure about CVA but they are more in a price range I would like but I will have to go hold a few and see.

Thanks

Thanks for all the info.  I am still in the looking phase but like to make a plan.  I think I want a 30/30 before the muzzleloader but I was having a problem starting the process.  Thanks again for everyone's time and I have looked all of them up and have a much better idea now.

I really like the TC line but they are expense.  I am not sure about CVA but they are more in a price range I would like but I will have to go hold a few and see.

Thanks

Here is another trane of thought... get the muzzleloader first, it has just as good or better performance as the 30/30, and it extends your hunting season another week. plus its useable in most shotgun only counties.

Thanks

Thompson Centers are expensive but their warantee is the best in the business.  About 4 years ago my dad double loaded his T/C that I bought for him in 1985 and ruined the barrel.  T/C said no problem gave him $400 for a new gun over 20 years after purchase.

Does anyone have experience with the CVA Accura V2??  I also am looking to purchase my first ever ML.  Also, What else is required to get going?  I haven't seen an article or anything that explains how ML's work and how to load them and tools or equipment that's needed.  Any info would be great!  Sorry, don't mean to hijack your thread, but was thinking of posting a similar one.

You will need t handle starter to get the bullet/sabot started,ramrod which will come with the ML, powder, sabots, bullets, powder, primers, ML solvents, .50 cal patches.  This should be the minimum just to fire it.  You may consider speedloaders if you plan on hunting with it.

I bought this starter kit from Cabelas which has worked nicely for me.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Black-Powder/Loading-Accessories|/pc/104792580/c/104701680/sc/104436180/Cabelas-Muzzleloader-Starter-Kit-150-50-Caliber/739889.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Floading-accessories%2F_%2FN-1100209%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104436180%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%25253BMMcat104792580%253Bcat104701680&WTz_l=SBC%253BMMcat104792580%3Bcat104701680%3Bcat104436180

I would suggest buying your primer and powder locally as there is a HAZMAT fee associated with shipping these items.  I use pellets but many use loose powder.  Your call on that one.

I wish Bubba would post, he's answer your questions pretty solidly as MZ is his thing.

That is a good gun, if you like it and it fits well, you'll enjoy it. I'd really look at Blackhorn 209 powder. Don't bother with pellets. BH209 has so many benefits over pellets that I feel stupid for not switching soon enough.

Thanks 88!  

Phade-

I read somewhere that I would need to get a different breech plug if I wanted to use the 209 powder as the one it comes with is for the pellets.  Does this sound right?  Also, can someone explain the difference to me between the bullets themselves, I see there are balls and other actual bullet looking like well bullets out there.  Which is for which?  I'm sorry for the novice question, but I am brand new to ML and trying to understand it all.