Great bird on my birthday.

TheTruth2

Morning started off slow, not one gobble. Around 7 i decided to get up and find em. I worked three birds for an hour calling back and forth on a logging road but they never showed themselves for a shot. Frustrated, i hit one more spot before i left. Did a few yelps and heard a gobble off in the distance (or so i thought). waited a few minutes and called again, this time he was only about 60 yards away. I quickly tried to set up but looked up and saw him turn the corner. I panicked and quickly leaped into the woods (i was on a bike trail). About a minute later he and seven other jakes turned the corner and came right into the "decoy". My decoy was laying down on its back as it fell off the stake. They got within 35 yards and i had to make a decision to shoot before they noticed something was up. Steadied myself and picked the biggest one.

I have been trying to get a bird on my birthday for 6 years and finally connected with this guy.

post-2314-0-24814900-1367707466_thumb.jp

post-2314-0-24339500-1367707509_thumb.jp

• Like 5

Congrats and happy birthday!!!  Thats the problem with calling on the run....you run the risk of lighting up a bird that is close by and ready to run in, before you can set up. But you played it well. Congrats.

Congrats and happy birthday!!! Thats the problem with calling on the run....you run the risk of lighting up a bird that is close by and ready to run in, before you can set up. But you played it well. Congrats.

Thats what happened to me on thursday. When they responded they were less than 40 yards from me. Still sealed the deal but getting setup fast was fun!

Thats what happened to me on thursday. When they responded they were less than 40 yards from me. Still sealed the deal but getting setup fast was fun!

Yup....It has bitten me in the a$$ more than once, but on a few occasions it worked out.....