New info from Tresmond's on Lawsuits

The magazine restriction applies to all firearms, not just semi autos.

I say BS and where is this so called magazine restriction in the bill? I cant find it and I have a copy of the original bill. Further more I own a 870 and maybe Im an idiot but on my 870 the most I can get in my magazine is 5 rounds and thats with 2 3/4 shells.

Im pretty sure the mag restriction does not apply to pump action guns only semi autos. The 870 would still be legal but the Rem semi auto with mag extension possibilities could be a problem....

Now that sounds more logical and inline what I have read in the SafeAct bill. This whole thing on 870 pumps being banned is the first I have heard about it anywhere on the web and I mean anywhere.

Did you even read the bill? If you do, theres no possible way you can miss the magazine section of it. I suggest you read it, not just the FAQs site. It applies to pump shotguns as well.

Sits, you are wrong on that.

Did you read my Remington 870 pump shotgun will not hold more than 5 rounds of 2 3/4 shells in the mag? Even if your statement has some merit that applies to pump shotguns, dont assume all 870's will fall under this law. I'm also still waiting for you to show or qoute that section of the law. Not just some quote from a news article that was interpeted by the author.

Dear John,

Yes, according a strict reading of the law, all 500s and 870s are rendered illegal by the "Large Capacity Ammunition Feeding Device" Ban because, by virtue of an extension tube they can hold more than 10 cartridges of ammunition. The is fundamentally worse than the assault weapons ban due to the number of shotguns possessed within New York State far exceeding the number of AR-15 possessed within New York State. ...

Sincerely,

James D. Tresmond, Esq.

LMAO! Really!? Pro bono or not pro bono Mr Tresmond better brush up on his firearms or bring in a firearms expert, BECAUSE I will say it one more time. There are plenty of Remington model 870's filling gun cabinets within NY that will not hold more then 5 rounds UNPLUGED using 2 3/4 shotgun shells within the magazine and in no shape or form will allow the addition of an extension tube to hold more rounds without serious modifications along with the purchase of new gun barrels that will handle adaption of such said "high capacity extension tube".

the intent of the bill was NOT to include manually operated weapons like the 870.  The SAFE ACT site even qualifies 870's and their likeness legal. It has also been pointed out to me that the site is NOT legal information, just a tool. So take it for what it's worth.  However, as it has been pointed out (I have not read it yet) there are provisions in the act specific to magazines both detachable and fixed tube, capacity and potential capacity that could render 870's and likeness illegal.  I believe this summarizes most of the recent conversation.

The reason why all pump shot guns are illegal under the NY Safe Act, by the letter of the stupid law, is because of 1 3/4 shells. These where invented for dome defense.So that means all pump shotguns, can hold 10 rounds of these bullets.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/162922/aguila-minishell-ammunition-12-gauge-1-3-4-4-and-1-buckshot-11-pellets-box-of-20

Edited by HectorBuckBuster

The reason why all pump shot guns are illegal under the NY Safe Act, why the letter of the stupid law, is because of 1 3/4 shells. These where invented for dome defense.So that means all pump shotguns, can hold 10 rounds of these bullets.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/162922/aguila-minishell-ammunition-12-gauge-1-3-4-4-and-1-buckshot-11-pellets-box-of-20

Just when I think I've seen it all, you post THIS. WTH, 1 3/4" shells?

That sure throws a monkey wrench into things............

If you go to the interactive link and answer the questions on what type of firearm you "might" need to register, look at the questions and answer them honestly, then you'll see your results. The conundrum lies with that statement "large capacity ammunition feeding device." Many pumps readily adapt to an extension tube like a Choate or Nordic.

http://www.governor.ny.gov/nysafeact/registration-questionnaire

LMAO! Really!? Pro bono or not pro bono Mr Tresmond better brush up on his firearms or bring in a firearms expert, BECAUSE I will say it one more time. There are plenty of Remington model 870's filling gun cabinets within NY that will not hold more then 5 rounds UNPLUGED using 2 3/4 shotgun shells within the magazine and in no shape or form will allow the addition of an extension tube to hold more rounds without serious modifications along with the purchase of new gun barrels that will handle adaption of such said "high capacity extension tube".

Ill take Tresmond's interpretation over someone on the internets interpretation any day of the week. He is the lawyer handling the SAFE act lawsuits.

Tucker Daddy, where did you get 1 7/8 from. Well here is my math. OK, you are using a standard 870, but here is where the problem lies. Now use a  REMINGTON 870 EXPRESS Super MAGNUM - take 3 1/2 inch shells or a Magnum which accept 3 inch shells.

870 Super Magnum

5 - 3 1/2 inch shells = 17 1/2 inches

10 - 1 3/4 shells =  17 1/2  inches

870 Magnum

5 - 3 inch shells = 15 inches

8 - 1 3/4 inch shells =  14 inches ( not sure is there would be a extra 3/4 of a inch to fit in another shell)

standard 870 ( i have not measured, but pretty sure there would be that extra 1/4 of a inch to put the 8th shell in)

5 - 2 3/4 inch shells = 13.75 inches

8 - 8 1 3/4 inch shells  = 14 inches