Almost got a Jake today

fasteddie

I was heading to Geneseo to my SILs as we were going to the Swanson Farm in Mt Morris to do a Woods Walk . It was part of the Forest Owner's Association program .

Anyway just before I got off 590 to get on 390 I saw a bird in the field on the North side of the road where they usually are . I wondered if it was a Tom and "poof" he fanned his feathers . Neat . Pulled onto Lima Road in Geneseo and just before I got to North Road , a Jake flew across the road at windshield level about 15' ahead of me . It was close enough that it startled me !

TWICE in the past two months I've seen vehicles that have whacked a turkey.  One in Tennessee that hit a SUV right in front of me that was UNREAL to see unfold right before my eyes, the damage done to the vehicle was tremendous.  The second was a big moving van type (not as big as a tractor trailer but close) on Rt 49 in PA on May 2nd coming back from turkey hunting there.  That had the windshield completely caved in.  

Both vehicles had to be towed.  Heavy, expensive & damned scary for the drivers I'm sure.

You dodged a bullet today, fasteddie. 

One flew into the side of my buddy's car, a while back. It broke off the side view mirror, cracked the window and put a good sized dent in the door. I forget what the dollar amount, of the damage, was but I remember that it was way over his $500 deductible.  I'd say you got lucky.

Yep, Ive seen cars that hit them and they can do some damage. I saw one dead in the median on the Thruway right near the 390 exit a week or so ago. I cant imagine how that went at 75mph. A few years ago when I had my Chrysler Sebring I had a big tom run out in front of me. I stopped just inches from it and its head was taller than the top of my hood. Im sure that would have been a mess.

Glad you didnt end up hitting it Eddie.