Climber question????

Culvercreek hunt club

Yes, thanks for the article.  Now, I would like to know why anyone would use a strap on stand over a ladder stand?  Are they cheaper?  If used in combination with those strap on steps I am sure they probably cost just the same.  Maybe they would be a bit easier to bring into the woods and set up, but if they will possibly lead to me to breaking my neck I will surely take the extra time to set up a ladder stand or anything else that will be safer.  A no brainer there in my opinion!

I used to use and enjoy hunting from tree stands all the time; lugged them in and out of State Land and on numerous occasions at the same time while dragging a deer. The experience was excruciating to say the least. Nowadays I prefer to be ground bound and to have the opportunity to make a quick an easy move to a prescouted location.

These days I am well aware of my physical limitations, in good shape by running several times a week, however carrying gear, tree stand and dragging a deer at the same time is a risk that I am unwilling to take. That's just my opinion.

I have an api grand slam climber and its very stable and comfy.  It also weighs 38 pounds! my friends and I call it the "family truckster"  not pack worthy.  I have used a summit viper and that stand is perfect for bowhunting I think.  Light to carry but stable once your up.  I like to be at least 20' up.  When your looking to buy a stand- dont cheap out. How much is your life worth?

I use all four; built, chain on, ladder and climber. I find my climber to be the must comfortable and safest. It is an older API as well around 22 pounds. The ladder stands would come in second but limit my height. I use a bunch of these now since they are so easy and affordable. The plus with the chain on is I can put them just about anywhere and high if needed. I do have some big metal racking coming that I will be making a big box stand out of. I bet my most comfy will change to that next year but it will be limited by where ever it goes it will stay since it will weigh many hundreds of pounds. The perminent wood one I have now is ok but it can not be moved and constantly needs checking. I do not build these anymore the safety degrades to quickly with the elements.

Wooden home made stand have got to be the most danerous stands there are. Unless checked over every year as rain,snow, and tree growth can and do make them unstable. Not to mention even pressure treated wood will rot around nails or screws in time.

The opinions on stands are interesting.  Like most things, everyone seems to have different preferences.  So here are mine.  I have ladder, hang ons, and a climber (Summit Viper) and which type I prefer depends upon the situation.  Personally, the ladders are my least favorite because I don't feel as safe and secure in them.  I know that sounds odd, but that's how I feel when I'm up in them.  I also find them treacherous when putting them up (prior to getting them strapped to the tree up top).  I'm always afraid they are going to swing/rotate off the tree and pitch me to the ground.  Their design also makes it difficult (if not impossible) to strap a safety line from self to tree while you are climbing.  While I have a climber, I haven't used it much, so haven't passed judgment yet.  I use strap ons the most.  I used to use screw in steps but as I age (now 59), these have become much more difficult to install and require much more exertion with multiple trips up and down the tree.  So a couple of year ago I bought a pair of climbing sticks and gave them a try and love em.  Should have tried them years ago.  Their only drawback is that they are bulky and heavy to transport, but once on site, they are quick and easy to install and as far as I am concerned, the most secure means of ingress and egress from the stand.  Even  better than a ladder stand.  I can also keep my safety strap on the tree while I climb and descend although I do have to reattach it once I reach stand level.  They can also be a bit noisey setting up.  I bought the climber thinking that if I have a tree prepared, I can go in and be set up in a matter of minutes with the least amount of noise and intrusion.  I will use that in areas where theft is a big concern and in areas that I don't hunt much.  As someone earlier in this post mentioned, as I age, I am getting more and more fond of ground blinds (all made from natural materials).  Some areas are more conducive to their use than others, but if set up correctly, they can be very good.  A big factor is selecting the location and making it look as natural as possible, insuring your outline is broken up well.  I also insure that the blind is broken up in a 3D fashion by placing brush or limbs well in front of the blind so that the blind itself doesn't garner too much attention.  I tend to use blowdowns a lot, but there often isn't one where you need it.  Pop up blinds don't appeal to me as I have to believe that a deer will be suspicious of one immediately if it sees on along its travel route all of a sudden.  Don't know if that would be true all over, but I do most of my hunting in the Adirondacks and I don't think the deer there would like them much.  I could be wrong, but am not willing to shell out a lot of money just to find out. 

Over the years I have lost interest in hunting from tree stands and these days strictly employ ground blinds. I have numerous ground blind locations which I have improved each and every year which blend in perfectly with the surroundings and are only obvious to keen eyed hunters. The various blinds enable me to select a stand location to suit the wind conditions.

I have a Summit Viper and a Summit 180. These stands are the easiest to use and the most comfortable that I have experienced. I haul them in and out with me every day but keep a notebook with all the GPS locactions of the trees I use. An entry I make in my note book that's real handy is the cable adjustment of the top and bottom that works best when I get up to altitude. It's always a crap shoot trying to guess how the taper of the tree will affect your adjustments. The Summit cable has 4 sleeves crimped on to each cable end so my code would be, for example, T12 B22. The T12 would mean the top has 1 one sleeve exposed on one side and 2 sleeves exposed on the other. Obviously B22 would indicate the bottom would have 2 sleeves hangin' out on each side. This usually results in the stand tilting up at the base of the tree but it ends up dead level at my hunting height. (20-25 ft)

Ed   

I don't own any property. i am a member of a gun club with 300ish acres and hunt a couple of farms (70ish acres) so i have permission to put up a tree stand at the gun club but the last two years 18 tree stands have went "missing" and i dont think the woodland creatures are taking them. so I bought a Primetime Lite Climber from Dicks on sale for $150 it is regulary 250 it is almost identical to the Summit Viper SS. just with a more appealing price tag. what i found out by using this stand(my first stand i have ever bought) is that i am afraid of heights... it has nothing to do with the stand... i went to a friends house to try his ladder stand after trying my climber and i got the same shakes at 15ft ladder stand as i did at 12-15 ft with the climber... the climber seems very secure but it dosnt really help me when i look down at my bow to pull it up. I have used the climber 3 times now once in my yard and 2 times hunting... hopfully the height fear will do away and i can get up to 20 feet like you experience guys. as far as saftey as long as you properly use your harness(I Do) I would imagine your as safe as you can be when your 20 foot in the air.

any suggestions on how to get over the heights fear... PM ME!

The heights used to make my knees shake too. Only way to get rid of that is to get up in the tree and spend as much time as you can up there. You'll either get used to it or you'll stop using stands. As far as height goes, you don't need to go 20 feet. Every deer I have killed out of astand has been from 16 feet or less. Shooting angles get steep above that. I have a 15 foot hoist rope on my climber. When my gear is starting to lift off the ground I stop climbing.