Jump to content

Poison Ivy


Recommended Posts

I found out Poison Ivy is not dormant in the winter, took down one of my apple trees that was killed by the Gypsy Moths last week. There were a couple of vines of Poison Ivy wrapped around the trunk, I had gloves on and pulled them away from the tree and out of the ground and proceed to cut up the tree using quite a bit of it for fire wood. So a few days ago the itch started on my arms and it was not long before the rash raised it's ugly head. I get a small spot or two on me in the summer frequently but not too bad but this time I got a good dose, the itching will drive you nuts. Bad for a couple of days but pretty well subsided now. Hard to see Ivy this time of year so you have to be careful.:bad:

Al

2024-03-22_094506.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah poison ivy is no joke.. 

you can even get the oils from the root system on you and have a bad reaction if you dig it up and come in contact

I’ve heard burning the plant leaves,stem etc can be bad to inhale ..

and validity to this? Or experience with this issue 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BuckTracker said:

Yeah poison ivy is no joke.. 

you can even get the oils from the root system on you and have a bad reaction if you dig it up and come in contact

I’ve heard burning the plant leaves,stem etc can be bad to inhale ..

and validity to this? Or experience with this issue 

Absolutely do NOT burn poison ivy. If you breathe in the smoke it could be fatal. Here is link https://www.outdoorjoes.com/a-rhus-tox-guide/2019/11/26/is-it-safe-to-burn-poison-ivy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I also learned that the hard way many many years ago cutting up firewood with poison ivy on it. Ended up with a large rash across my stomach from carrying the log chunks. The oil went through several layers of clothes.  

I also learned the hard way that poison ivy can grow on the ground and has a reddish color to it in the spring time. That mistake caused a huge rash and blister on my leg. 

Now if I see poison ivy I just walk away. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Miserable stuff. I see a picture and I start to scratch. 

'92 Baton Rouge, LA. I was shooting 3d in the back yard. Couple arrows went under the neighbors fence. Jumped the fence and came back. Ended up having to get a benadryl shot and 5 days of prednisone.  

'97 I set up an early season hang-on in PA on public. There was a sumac vine on the othe other side I didn't notice. Sweating like crazy when I got it up, I took my t-shirt off and spread it around. My eye's swelled shut and it's no fun having it on your manhood. 48hrs in the hospital. Went back two weeks later and someone had stolen my setup. Poor b@st@rd.

I fear nothing in the woods but that stuff. It's evil. 

Edited by Enigma
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

When I was a kid , I could rub poison ivy on my arms and never get it . My Dad worked for NYS Highway dept . He always got poison ivy every year . I guy he worked with could chew the leaves and not get it . People have died from doing that .

When I was about 50 years old , my son was helping me put up a pressure treated wood stand on a huge tree . I was cutting and pulling vines off the tree not realizing it was poison oak It was hot out and we were perspiring profusely . I ended up getting poison oak . Since then I have been able to get poison ivy & poison oak . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got plastered real good crawling on my stomach through a patch doing a stalk on a Woodchuck, did not know I even went through any Ivy, the next day the rash lit up good. At least I nailed the Woodchuck.

Al

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just want to add a heads up, I have tried just about everything when it comes to Poison Ivy relief and healing, the stuff below has by far given me the best results. It is a jell wash that is something like lava soap with their proprietary concoction mixed in, picked it up on Amazon and from here on out I will not be without it in my medicine cabinet.

Al

2024-03-24_083558.png

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

So I watched a couple of videos online on how to brew your own cost effective and environment safe weed killer. 

A gallon of 40% vinegar, a cup of salt and a good squeeze of dish washing liquid, put it all in your sprayer and shake it up so it mixes well.

I gave it a try this morning on some poison ivy vines growing on one of my oaks in the back yard, gave them a good spraying and checked them a few minutes ago and they are looking poorly. I think another good shot in the morning ought to finish them off.:good:

Al

2024-05-23_174335.png

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bad stuff for some folks. I'm almost immune, but i realize that can change. A friends mother went to  relieve herself when they were fishing and came down with a roaring case of it. My godfather burnt a bunch of it, not knowing what it was, and it nearly killed him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, airedale said:

So I watched a couple of videos online on how to brew your own cost effective and environment safe weed killer. 

A gallon of 40% vinegar, a cup of salt and a good squeeze of dish washing liquid, put it all in your sprayer and shake it up so it mixes well.

I gave it a try this morning on some poison ivy vines growing on one of my oaks in the back yard, gave them a good spraying and checked them a few minutes ago and they are looking poorly. I think another good shot in the morning ought to finish them off.:good:

Al

 

All you need to do is mix 1-1/2 - 2 lbs of salt into a gallon of water.

The vinegar and soap are useless against P I.

 

SJC

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/23/2024 at 9:40 AM, Northcountryman said:

I didnt realize that it (the oils) could actually absorb through your clothes? Thankfully, never been exposed to it; whats does it look like, anyway? I thought it looked like a bush, doesnt it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/23/2024 at 9:40 AM, Northcountryman said:

I didnt realize that it (the oils) could actually absorb through your clothes? Thankfully, never been exposed to it; whats does it look like, anyway? I thought it looked like a bush, doesnt it?

Last year my girl came to visit. She was doing land navigation the week before out in the woods. Got a really bad rash on her thigh. Wore pants the whole time. Doctor said the oils will go right through and get on your skin. It was poison sumac.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/23/2024 at 9:40 AM, Northcountryman said:

I didnt realize that it (the oils) could actually absorb through your clothes? Thankfully, never been exposed to it; whats does it look like, anyway? I thought it looked like a bush, doesnt it?

It can take on different appearances unfortunately. In the woods you often see it as a hairy vine growing up a tree.  Those vines can choke out and kill a tree.  Sometimes it grows low to the ground in patches or isolated plants.  "Leaves of three, let it be" is not completely correct but will most likely keep you safe.  It seems to like edges; damp soils.  But I see it lots of places, even some lawns.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...