Poison Ivy

I found out Poison Ivy is not dormant in the winter, took down one of my apple trees that was killed by the Gypsy Moths last week. There were a couple of vines of Poison Ivy wrapped around the trunk, I had gloves on and pulled them away from the tree and out of the ground and proceed to cut up the tree using quite a bit of it for fire wood. So a few days ago the itch started on my arms and it was not long before the rash raised it's ugly head. I get a small spot or two on me in the summer frequently but not too bad but this time I got a good dose, the itching will drive you nuts. Bad for a couple of days but pretty well subsided now. Hard to see Ivy this time of year so you have to be careful.:bad:

Al

2024-03-22_094506.png

Yeah poison ivy is no joke.. 

you can even get the oils from the root system on you and have a bad reaction if you dig it up and come in contact

I’ve heard burning the plant leaves,stem etc can be bad to inhale ..

and validity to this? Or experience with this issue 

1 hour ago, BuckTracker said:

Yeah poison ivy is no joke.. 

you can even get the oils from the root system on you and have a bad reaction if you dig it up and come in contact

I’ve heard burning the plant leaves,stem etc can be bad to inhale ..

and validity to this? Or experience with this issue 

Absolutely do NOT burn poison ivy. If you breathe in the smoke it could be fatal. Here is link https://www.outdoorjoes.com/a-rhus-tox-guide/2019/11/26/is-it-safe-to-burn-poison-ivy

I also learned that the hard way many many years ago cutting up firewood with poison ivy on it. Ended up with a large rash across my stomach from carrying the log chunks. The oil went through several layers of clothes.  

I also learned the hard way that poison ivy can grow on the ground and has a reddish color to it in the spring time. That mistake caused a huge rash and blister on my leg. 

Now if I see poison ivy I just walk away. 

Miserable stuff. I see a picture and I start to scratch. 

'92 Baton Rouge, LA. I was shooting 3d in the back yard. Couple arrows went under the neighbors fence. Jumped the fence and came back. Ended up having to get a benadryl shot and 5 days of prednisone.  

'97 I set up an early season hang-on in PA on public. There was a sumac vine on the othe other side I didn't notice. Sweating like crazy when I got it up, I took my t-shirt off and spread it around. My eye's swelled shut and it's no fun having it on your manhood. 48hrs in the hospital. Went back two weeks later and someone had stolen my setup. Poor b@st@rd.

I fear nothing in the woods but that stuff. It's evil. 

Edited by Enigma
  • Like 1

When I was a kid , I could rub poison ivy on my arms and never get it . My Dad worked for NYS Highway dept . He always got poison ivy every year . I guy he worked with could chew the leaves and not get it . People have died from doing that .

When I was about 50 years old , my son was helping me put up a pressure treated wood stand on a huge tree . I was cutting and pulling vines off the tree not realizing it was poison oak It was hot out and we were perspiring profusely . I ended up getting poison oak . Since then I have been able to get poison ivy & poison oak . 

I got plastered real good crawling on my stomach through a patch doing a stalk on a Woodchuck, did not know I even went through any Ivy, the next day the rash lit up good. At least I nailed the Woodchuck.

Al

Just want to add a heads up, I have tried just about everything when it comes to Poison Ivy relief and healing, the stuff below has by far given me the best results. It is a jell wash that is something like lava soap with their proprietary concoction mixed in, picked it up on Amazon and from here on out I will not be without it in my medicine cabinet.

Al

2024-03-24_083558.png

• Like 1