Walmart Hostage situation

Deerthug

I know you may find this hard to believe but some of us lawyers have morals. I would not take a case like the walmart situation because I would not want the bad publicity nor would I want to be known as the d-bag lawyer who represented the scumbag. This why I don't handle criminal matters. I can't bring myself to do that no matter what the potential fee may be.

I was using "you" as a generic term, I didn't mean to suggest that is how yourself or all lawyers operate.

• Like 1

BTW, the thing driving me nuts about the news cast, is that they call the kidnapper a "suspect" repeatedly. Its pretty clear the guy was guilty as sin, and was not a suspect, but a criminal, and kidnapper.

I am surprised they didn't use the politically correct term --- "alleged" !

I know you may find this hard to believe but some of us lawyers have morals. I would not take a case like the walmart situation because I would not want the bad publicity nor would I want to be known as the d-bag lawyer who represented the scumbag. This why I don't handle criminal matters. I can't bring myself to do that no matter what the potential fee may be.

Fact is some people deserve prison or what ever sentence they get, and a percentage of those charged do not and get screwed. Same thing in the civil arena - some defendants get screwed, but some people certainly do deserve getting sued. Pretty foolish to automatically assume every law suit is meritless. In my dealings, I have found attorneys to generally be more honest and ethical than other professionals - usually the screwballs run for office , my theory the reason being they cant hack being a lawyer so turn to politics.

Obviously, this cop did the right thing. But some LE personal have committed  very egregious crimes. It is interesting that the average person mistrusts attorneys, yet has great confidence in LEOs. Funny, other people say cops have the "little man syndrome" or some variation of that. Fact is, many were the school yard bullies, not the bullied. Good thing there are people with that mentality though, we need police, somebody has to do the job ... No discredit intended to good LE personal, I am sure they find the idiots an embarrassment.

What about them wildlife biologists though, bunch of liars, eh? Never trust em...

• Like 2

I have no problem with what the cops did in this case. The child was saved and thats what counts the most IMO. Mentally disturbed or not, anyone that holds a knife to a childs throat deserves to die.

Exactly. I would have done the same in a heartbeat, mentally disturbed or not.

I bet this cop has kids, when the innocent are threatened, well plain and simple he did the right thing.  I had a officer visit my house one time to explain to my brother how his youngest  was out drunk the night before passed out on someone's front lawn...  It is a testament to the force, the fact that they care about our children they way they would their own as many are fathers and mothers...  God bless NYS police officers, ALL OF THEM! 

Personally I feel officers should have more hands on training with their weapon.  Until a recent injury I use to shoot my bow about 9 months out of the year.  This is so when I choose to take that one special deer I get an excellent shot.  Thirteen years of bow hunting and I have yet to pull the trigger...  Just like many officers do not shoot their gun for long periods, I feel they should have to pass a certain accuracy to be allowed into the field with a gun...  (If not than a set amount of range time per week.)  Not sure all would pass a simple 20 ft test to see if they can hit a paper plate...  But if they are in charge of the public safety they should have enough ability to know what is a good or bad percentage shot...  JMO... 

They need to work on a new law banning knives, now that the criminals are using them...  (sarcasm)