Some Old Compounds

Five Seasons

So my grandfather passed away at 81 this spring. Long time hunter and Korean War vet. He was one of those guys you might see on American Pickers, but most of his junk was hunting and fishing related. He must have had 100 arrows in a bin of all sorts and sizes.

Anyhow, as you can imagine he has a nice collection of bows including a few old recurves and one I'd like to start hunting with. 2 weekends ago we go together as a family to start cleaning up the barn. Squirreled away in the corner were 2 cases. Inside were the bows below. As a younger hunter who has only known the newer modern bows it was really cool to see these. We plan on making a display with them and hanging them in my Uncle's Barn. Thought I'd share and sorry for the poor pic quality.

IMG_1243_zps91d34ad2.jpg

IMG_1244_zpscdd42462.jpg

IMG_1248_zpsd5221aec.jpg

IMG_1249_zps25edb194.jpg

Edited by Belo
  • Like 1

My first compound was the Bear Whitetail (top picture). I took an awful lot of deer with that bow. I paid something like $85 for it. 6 Years later I sold it for $100. There was no way that that thing cold ever fail other than strings or cables. I could have used it for a pry-bar if I had needed to and then went out to shoot a deer with it. I have no idea what the arrow speed was. We didn't really worry a whole lot about that. It just wasn't all that important (and probably isn't all that important today). Just a good old faithful bow with excellent flight. The Oneida Eagle was just a bit too radical looking at the time, so I moved on to several PSE bows, and then more Bear products, a Proline and then a Golden Eagle, and finally the Mathews MQ-32 that I am shooting today.

Your pictures brought back some great memories of that faithful old Bear. Thanks for posting them.

• Like 1

Those are nice! I have a Browning compound that goes way back. Thing is heavy. My FIL passed away a year ago at 81 and was a Korean war vet and huge hunter/fisherman. I know what your going through. It's nice to find old stuff of theirs hidden away.

Those are nice! I have a Browning compound that goes way back. Thing is heavy. My FIL passed away a year ago at 81 and was a Korean war vet and huge hunter/fisherman. I know what your going through. It's nice to find old stuff of theirs hidden away.

the stories and memories triggered by just going through stuff was almost too much. That man was my hero. Taught me how to hunt and fish. 3 songs always get the eyes watering

the stories and memories triggered by just going through stuff was almost too much. That man was my hero. Taught me how to hunt and fish. 3 songs always get the eyes watering

Amen Brother! It happened to me this week at camp. Found two Jerry cans he brought home from Korea. They are now in my shed at camp. You can't replace these old war vets, miss you Pop!