PA Bucks

BizCT

Semi guided. Pre season scouting, Food and lodging is included. You arrive on Sunday and the guy who runs it shows you some spots. All the hunting is on state land.

Little General Outfitters. I hunted with them in 2011.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

Biz, With all the money you spend on guided hunts and leases, have you ever just consider buying your own piece of paradise? Obviously no Mt Lions, and Mule deer and all that crazy stuff you do but theres something incredibly gratifying but a DIY especially on your land. Just food for thought.

I wouldn't think the state would let people "guide" on the state land?  Since it's state land, what do you need them for?

How was your hunt in 2011?

I see your a reference, cool.

My Minnesota Bobcat hunt was on public land as well.  Here's the link to my report after my trip to PA in 2011 > http://huntingny.com/forums/topic/4270-trips-booked/?hl=%2Btrips+%2Bbooked bottom of page 1.  I had planned to get a hotel and hunt PA for about a week. I figured paying $600 for food, lodging, and some advice was a pretty good deal. Hotel & Food would have cost me that anyway. I saw a ton of deer, so I was very happy with the trip.

Biz, With all the money you spend on guided hunts and leases, have you ever just consider buying your own piece of paradise? Obviously no Mt Lions, and Mule deer and all that crazy stuff you do but theres something incredibly gratifying but a DIY especially on your land. Just food for thought.

I have no leases besides the $500 to hunt CT for the year.  I've thought about buying land, but even say $30-$40K cash on land seems like a waste to me in NY, where I can only hunt whitetails and possibly bear, when it comes to big game.  I prefer a variety of species and enjoy not having to watch my land, pay taxes on it, etc.  For now, hunting in NY for whitetails (free), $600 to hunt PA, and $500 to hunt CT, seems like the best deal for me. 3 states, lots of tags, and not crazy expensive.

Also, November and December is my busy season at work. Only allowed 2 days off each of those months. So basically, I only hunt weekends in NY. Just can't justify buying land, especially something far away. I hunt Putnam County, 40 minutes from my house, 10 minutes from my parents house. It's very convenient and although I'll never kill a booner in 3N, I've had a lot of success over the years.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

Tommay!

This brings up an interesting point. Can you hunt with an xbow on a canned hunt in NY? I could see a lot of hunters going this route just to use their implement of choice.

No clue. Never been on canned hunt, never will. You can hunt with an xbow on NJ, PA, and CT, so why do a canned hunt in NY?

• 3 weeks later...

Do you usually go on these solo?

I went alone in 2011. 2012 I couldn't make it, went to Arizona instead. I will be going alone again in 2013. I expect to see some of the same guys at camp from 2011. I stay in touch with the guy who was my roommate there in 2011. He is from Orleans, NY.

• 1 month later...