This guy is becoming a regular

WNYBuckhunter- the way that corn field is set up do you notice the deer bedding between the corn and the woods? I have a corn field set up similar to that and I have deer bedding in the grass on a regular basis.

Not often, unless that area being bedding in is historically served as bedding. The screening and cover offered by corn changes things.

If you are seeing multiple beds of varying size in that stretch, you are probably tied into a doe group. Look for drainage ditches between corn fields, low spots (the deer will enter the field there), hedge rows between the corn fields, or a high spot (even a foot or two) for the bucks. Another spot to keep an eye out for are washouts...the place where spring rains collected, washing out seed or stuning/delaying corn growth. It can serve as a well used area or bedding.

Nope just one bed in this particular field corner but it is tucked in a low laying area with knee high grass and a 6 foot fence behind it. This corn field borders the road on one side, the fence on the other, and a thick brushy nasty creek on the other side and the wind usually blows in from the other side where there is a hay field and the barn. There is a pretty think hedge row/ wooded area before the fence where I have a cam up. It's been there two weeks now and I'm itching to check em.

LOL. That's not good. Only place to enter? Or is there a long painful way that can be safely accessed?

One of the biggest mistakes hunters make who want a big buck but don't get them. Rarely is my entry/exit the one I would like. More often it's the one I most want to avoid, but that's the needed route. I've GPS walked more than a mile to access a stand that is 1/4 mile from the truck. I've also waded creeks, walked through marsh muck, etc. just to get on the back side of a bed that is 100 yards from the road.

Phade- the bed is 200 yards from the in-laws. I have an idea to hunt him if he is using that as a regular bedding area. I only have permission to walk through this field. I'll have to ask him to hunt it. He's a friend and customer of the family.<br /><br />DW-lol I wouldn't mind, I'm sure you could show me a thing or two on the property. I know there are others that hunt it now but I haven't seen one bit of evidence of anyone scouting and I drive by it every day. There are a few bucks on the other property there that I've seen too. <br /><br /><br />Sorry for the thread jacking!

Phade- the bed is 200 yards from the in-laws. I have an idea to hunt him if he is using that as a regular bedding area. I only have permission to walk through this field. I'll have to ask him to hunt it. He's a friend and customer of the family.<br /><br />DW-lol I wouldn't mind, I'm sure you could show me a thing or two on the property. I know there are others that hunt it now but I haven't seen one bit of evidence of anyone scouting and I drive by it every day. There are a few bucks on the other property there that I've seen too. <br /><br /><br />Sorry for the thread jacking!

Most important piece of info you have stated in this thread imo. Sorry for the hijack WNYB but it's well off tangent.

This is such a monkey wrench piece of info and is critical to your hunting. Most peopl don't do a thing until it's right up to the season opener. This can bump deer, change a pattern, etc. Good idea on keeping an eye on it. One thing I would plan for, and this take some educated guessing...if that buck were to be bumped, where it the nearest safest place he would move to that wouldn't have hunter intrusion? Figure those spots out and set a stand or prep a tree for it.

Day one, if the buck isn't in that bed because some moron went onto that ground to hang a stand the night before or the weekend before (and you know this rather than him being in a different bed), move to that area you think he may be the next afternoon. 

Hands down, the safest place is the creek. It's a mess and not easily navigated from what I can see. The hedge row runs into the creek. I can get a stand in there. I'll know more tomorrow. I'm going to sneak in and grab my cam, check the others I have out and walk the last of the property I haven't covered. A lot of what I haven't covered is think nasty stuff, my dad refuses to go into and I'll be solo this trip.

Post season scouting will be very useful.

Outside-In is a very conservative practice that oftentimes to me leads to missed opportunities, but maybe this could be a useful tactic the first year with no legit post-season scouting knowledge.

Maybe you can hang some observation stands and sit them in September?

Depending on when they cut the corn I can view that entire field from a tree stand on my in-laws. I have few stands that I was going to do that with anyway. Doewhaker use to hunt this property and has been generous with the information he has given me. While a decent amount of time has passed, the scouting I've done has shown almost all the info he has given me has been spot on. If I'm successful this season I believe I owe him some backstrap lol I plan on hitting the winter scouting hard this year. I've never lived so close to where I can hunt, in years past other things were going on and post season scouting got over looked due to distance and ice fishing. Depending on what the wind is doing tonight I might take a short walk.

Edited by Witty

Have fun in the thick stuff wit... If you come across a orange vest for a bird dog that's mine, it was so bad where he came out with out it I just chalked it up to a loss. I damn near pierced my ear on a thorn in there too, no joke.

We can kill two birds with one stone postseason and you can rabbit hunt that mess with me.