Pear Consumption

Never really had a property with pear trees. Found two loaded ones on my lease I never knew about until this year.

I know deer will go after the pears, but what is their use like? Typical time they drop? I assume the variety is a factor. Wish I could tell, but these are super old pear trees and pretty hardy. One has some serious rot in it....to the point I can put my fist into the middle of the tree.

Have a cam hung to see what comes of it. They're close to the road, so expecting more night use.

How badly do you want to know...lol. Here is a link of many varieties here in NY and high res pictures. pick a pear and compare. At least you will know the variety and will tell you when they will ripen. My Uncle had one that used to hold the fruit until the first heavy frost  but a freind has one that is ripe in Late August into September. I think they are wider ranging by variety in ripening time than apples are

http://www.ars-grin.gov/cor/pony.html

i've actually seen pears attract deer more than almost anything else on our property. Just like apples, they fall in stages and fall even more when they're just out in the wild. Still probably good to trim them so they keep producing. Last year we had none and the stand near the pear tree was almost unhuntable.

We have 3 pear just 10-15 feet off the back of the house...the deer have no cares as us or the dogs once the pears start to drop day and night they come in to see if I've either picked them or tossed the bruised ones from the ground into the hedge row....dang they attract ants big time....Aug-Oct...Bartlett..Clap...and I'm not sure what the other one is....all here when we bought..I like the moonglow and have them out near the gardens...lost a kieffer down in the plots...need to replace