Remember the electric problem?....

growalot

and I said that brown outs were bad for all appliances?...Woke this morning to it being colder out side than in the frig...wonderful! So every thing is cleaned out and moved to the other frig(thank God for 2nd fridges...and the other freezers...some stuff in coolers with milk jugs of ice I keep ...just for such things...

This is the help I need from you ...won't say brand we have...but will ask what brands YOU think to be the best today...Fast replies would really be appreciated while I'm searching on line....Thanks

Thanks ...but come on guys I need some more input...any repair ppl out there?...not one brand didn't have some sort of horror story about not cooling, freezing fresh food ...lets not talk about ice makers and the shell rusting...$400.00 light bulb replacements?!!...really I just want something that doesn't cost 5-8k that will work more than 2 yrs...with an ice maker

Landtra..... mine is 17yrs old...ya I know but...... that said nothing but problems from day 1...first week total seal replacement...ice make never worked right ...shell rusted.... fresh food froze ...never regulated right and the out side in the summer sweated like a Sumo wrestler in a steam bath.......all bins holders cracked the freezer wall cracked and it hummmed from new to now like a remote controlled air plane...and we payed 1900.00 17yrs ago for it...side by side

General Electric has been around forever, and they have different models that go from reasonable up to expensive........I would go with a model that has the lower pull out drawer type freezer......cold air drops, so with the upper door or side by side door, each time you open it the cold air falls out and wastes more energy than needed, with the pull out drawer, the cold air stays inside..

I have had a GE side by side with ice and water dispenser in the door. I purchased in July 2007, has worked great, the thing I don't like there is limited shelf space in the fridge part. It does keep beer real cold   though.

Edited by F-150

maytag? lol...

i sold appliance at sears in college.

best refrigerators:

whirlpool (prefer gold if you can swing it)

fridgidare

kenmore (made by either whirlpool or kenmore)

GE (no frills kind only, their fancy stuff isn't very good)

I'll add that everyone has had good and bad with every company. Maytag is actually now owned by whirlpool, but when they weren't maytag was to be avoided. I'd avoid the new guys to the game like LG and others because they tend to focus on gizmos and not reliability.

WTH....I've been working on fixing this one....best the junk you know and own than pay $$$ for more junk...any how I got her together and cleaned up dusted off. vacuumed, washed, reset switches reset(auto defrost) and turned on with the thermometer in it...I'll know for sure in an hour I think....collectively cross your fingers please...LOL

Haaaa...I'm buying a power ball ticket tomorrow...I just may be a handy woman to have around...this is the frig side...I turned every thing on high when I finished...

Poor Mr B had to work late called to say he was just leaving...won't he be happy...I'll leave over night just to be sure...dinners in the oven and now I'll go mow to relax.....phewwww if you all crossed your fingers...THANK YOU... :biggrin:

(sp)

Edited by growalot

I've had a stainless steel Amana with bottom freezer for about 12 years which we bought for $1800. Only had three service calls which just needed a good cleaning and a temperature regulator that went bad. It occasionally has ice buildup. The service guy clued me in and told me that if that happens just remove the food, let the fridge defrost overnight and it should work fine after that. The last time it stopped freezing/cooling about 3 years ago I did that and it has worked like a charm "knock on wood".

Haaaa...I'm buying a power ball ticket tomorrow...I just may be a handy woman to have around...this is the frig side...I turned every thing on high when I finished...

Poor Mr B had to work late called to say he was just leaving...won't he be happy...I'll leave over night just to be sure...dinners in the oven and now I'll go mow to relax.....phewwww if you all crossed your fingers...THANK YOU... :biggrin:

(sp)

Glad to see u got in the cool again, LOL.  Nice to see someone repairing a appliance instead of kicking it to the curb, or sending it to the scrap yard. I see many appliances junked, instead of having the necessary repairs done. The rule of thumb for any frig or freezer is- when cutting the line to remove the compressor for salvage, if freon escapes, that unit could of been repaired by the right person. A constant reminded of the throw away life style we live in.

Lol Landtrac the darn thing is being held together with duct tape..You know me...my call is cheap,cheap cheap cheap...lol...

Our 2nd summer/drink frig is one from a school job...the Home ed. dept was throwing all their old ones away in a remodel Mr B was doing...OMG..that teacher..sorry was a pig!..It took 2 days for me to scrub and bleach the bageegees out of that thing...but it works better than the kitchen frig...by the way..which is a Frigidaire and I'll never buy another...our last fridge was a Kenmore and stove was a Caloric...I miss them still...lol

I watch and ask questions when repair guys come to the house...I also ask for all the old parts...so I know whats what ...Mr B took parts from a throw away dryer and totally rebuilt our old dryer... it has a little squeak to it( who cares..it's in the basement) but drys great and has been..knock on wood.... going strong for a year now

The problem is anyone that has an old appliance has a good one ...in most part...today every thing is made to break..which actually makes sense...if your enjoying your stuff for 10-15 years..your not buying new.....our entire society has gone from quality to quantity for the stock holders bottom line....

(sp)

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

WTH....I've been working on fixing this one....best the junk you know and own than pay $$$ for more junk...any how I got her together and cleaned up dusted off. vacuumed, washed, reset switches reset(auto defrost) and turned on with the thermometer in it...I'll know for sure in an hour I think....collectively cross your fingers please...LOL

if it failed once, it might just be a matter of time grow, and hopefully it's not when you're out of town.

I always keep my families appliances going. Having a HVAC background helps.

at some point though, an old fridge is costing you more in electricity then buying a new one. I know a few people with really old beer fridges. I'm talking, pre energy star fridges. Those things are energy hogs. One guy turned his off one month and said he saved like $20 a month in electricity. Do the math and a newer cheap fridge pays for itself when replacing an old one.

Check out the designs before you buy. The wife made me buy a G.E. Profile, side by side. You can't fit anything in it. The storage size is the same as my old fridge but the design stinks. I have tried switching the shelves around but it did no good.

Yes we are going to buy...just now I don't have to rush it..your correct on energy cost...I told Mr B be that just having our.... non cooling... appliances plugged in, but turned off draws electric...and more than what you'd think...well we bought the surge protectors for every thing any how and when things like the TV, Video, stereo ,lights, small kitchen stuff...are  not used...the surge protector get turned off....what a good savings that's been...