Tiller

Hey all. Maybe some of you can start me off in the right direction looking for a tiller for my tractor.

I know nothing about them, except that the gent that usually tills my plots has a huge one, and a bigger tractor.

My tractor is 26 hp. I have about 3/4 acre to till. Is that enough for the tilling I want to accomplish? What would be a quality brand?

Thanks for any replies.

Is your soil rocky?   Mine is terrible with rocks and a tiller would not last at all here.

If I could I would use a tiller, they are very slow but one pass and you have a perfect seed bed.

I can ask around on brands I have several friends who have used them for years.

• Like 2

I'll take my disc any day..takes a bit more time but less to go wrong in such rocky soils as  long as you grease it on a regular bases..they are dang near indestructible... and less wear and tear on your tractor...no need for the PTO

Something to consider, thanks. How large is your disc?

That thread on Outreach has all the info you need! I highly recommend using his idea of hooking up the cultipacker or roller to the back of the tiller or at least go over it with one before you seed. the tiller makes such a soft seed bed that in some cases you might bury the seeds to deep without packing the soil down first. 

On a 30  engine hp., 4 cylinder diesel, we always sold a 66" width tiller.  The ideal would be to cover both wheel tracks, but u may want to go with a 60" width and offset over to cover 1 wheel track, with a 26 hp..  It will make a big difference what tire u are running on the tractor. The turfs and Industrials will be the widest, with the agricultural tread being the narrowest. A slip clutch on the tiller is a must. Make sure it slips ( loosen the spring bolts and tractor rotate the pto for a few), every year before first use. A gear driven outboard gearbox is also a nice design, never having to adjust the chain inside.( which know one does until the chain wears through the cover). The rear cover should be spring loaded  adjusted, to level the tilled soil. I like to land plow first on my clay loam soil, as it makes for a deeper seed bed in the end. I would stay away with the lower priced (China) tillers. The medium $ tiller are nice and most today carry a super warranty.( $2000.)

Edit: A hydrostatic drive tractor will be about 3 hp. less than a clutch model  on the pto..

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

Is your soil rocky?   Mine is terrible with rocks and a tiller would not last at all here.

If I could I would use a tiller, they are very slow but one pass and you have a perfect seed bed.

I can ask around on brands I have several friends who have used them for years.

I hear that on the rocks. And it's not just that it's the roots & vines a tiller will bind up on. I picked up a belt drive rear tine tiller and at least with that it sort of stops when that happens. Before that once I rented an 8hp rear tine frankin-tiller, had a mind of it's own chain drive. Would tend to launch itself, hated that thing by the end of the day. So anyway now I use the highst depth setting for the work.