limetedhuntingland/private

Seems to me not as many people allow hunting on there land anymore ive ask many farms to allow me to bow only the same answer no Ido not understand they get to take all the good land then they get crop damage permits and take what ever they want they must not know the racoons do the damage not the deer stupid asses

I think with the ever rising prices of property and tax hikes, farmers and owners alike may look for hunting clubs or few people to pay to hunt to help subsidize their farming and or pay taxes. Years ago by me you could go anywhere and get permission, now everything is about the money and I think rightfully so. Its not cheap to buy, maintain and pay taxes on NY property. I felt the same way as you that is until I became an owner. Even though I hunt mostly on my property, I still have a couple parcels that I can hunt for nothing based upon relationships that I or my father have fostered over the years. You have to keep at it and keep asking and you never know. Dont give up.

i knocked on a lot of doors..

i got flat out no's .

it gets discouraging..

my friend had better luck..

first 3 farms he knocked on he landed a place to hunt coyote's  and predator and two places to deer hunt.. and one farmer also asked my boy  if he'd like a phone call  when he cuts all the grass so he can come and target shoot the woodchucks ...

all i did was waste gas..

• Like 1

It is occurring to farmers and other landowners that their land really is a valuable resource that has potential for making money. Even here in NYS, leasing is becoming a pretty good chunk of money for whoever owns the land. I have even seen some large tracts of land bought with the idea of first logging it and grabbing off the lumber money and then leasing it for some pretty big bucks to deer hunters. It is beginning to be looked at more as pure investment than simply as a supplemental source of extra spending cash.

We can look at this as greed, but in reality, it is simply market forces at work. We have watched it happen in other states, and now it is happeneing here at home.

So what's really happening? ..... A few hunters with deep pockets can tie up hundreds of acres, which basically means that you have fewer people hunting that land than ever before. As that kind of thing spreads, those that aren't leasing are having a much harder time finding hunting land, and are over-crowding the ever-diminishing open lands. That basically creates a bigger demand and allows landowners to ratchet up the lease prices. Also, owners of those lands that were formerly "open hunting" are becoming aware of the money that they are losing and begin demanding payment for access.

Whose fault is it? I think it's our own (the hunters) fault. We hunters pay the big bucks as we try to lock up hunting land for ourselves. Then we advertise the fact through our TV hunting shows. Landowners would be absolute fools if they didn't see all this stuff going on and try to cash in on it. Let's face it, they paid obscene prices for the land and the state and local governments are stealing obscene amounts of tax money from them simply because they bought the land. No wonder they are looking for ways to recoup some or all of that outflow of cash. And by the way, I believe that we are only seeing the tip of the iceberg as more and more landowners are finding out exactly how much hunters are willing to pay for hunting access. You ain't seen nuttin' yet!

Doc

Hunting leases are a double edged sword for the landowners in NY. They are protected from liability suits as long as NO money changes hands. As soon as they take money the risk goes way way up. One strategy that I have employed successfully is to use the liability/permission slips provided by the DEC as a way of fostering an instant trust with a landowner that I am approching. I explain the liability issue and fill out all my contact information, offer to chare my take, and offer to help with projects that they may have coming up as a form of payment. The blue permission slips really are a great tool. And anyone who is willing to fill one out really demonstrates to the landowner that they are responsible and trustworthy.

they must not know the racoons do the damage not the deer stupid asses

No, they know the damage done by the slobs that have no respect for their land. Spend sometime to get to know the farmer and don't think he's such a dumbass and you might get invited to hunt his land.

The land owner is facing lots of problems and I understand why they often dont allow hunting. I have known many who have been burned by letting people on their property. I have found in less populated places like Montana I have better luck hunting private property. This is because the landowner is not getting violated by hunters as often as there is way more land than hunters. Here in NYS we have just to little land compared to hunters and here on Long Island it is worse. To hunt state land you have to check in and check out at the ridge check station and it just seems to take somthing out of the old days of just grabbing a gun and your dog and heading out for a couple of hours. The reality of it is I now pay to belong to a club and through the strength of the club and our combined buying power we are able to lease large tracks of land that are private to us. So even though there is a price to it I can go out on private land and hunt whenever I want without checking in or any of the other state land rules. Lets face it the days of private property tracts being open to us for free are long gone for most of us. I feel very lucky that I can still grab the dog and a gun and just head out whenever I want and hunt some private stocked land and see some game. I dont hunt deer but the deer hunters in our club are happy to have a place they can leave there stand and ride their atv and see big bucks.  I have learned to make due and find the best solution for me.

MM

http://www.freewebs.com/pheasant/

One other reason why private land gets shut-off......

Many years ago my Dad allowed some hunters from work to hunt our property (with permission). Next thing you know, they started inviting people out to hunt with them (without permission). That sort of thing mushroomed until within just a few years the driveway looked like a parking lot. The original invitees no longer came out, but all these people that they had invited took over the property. Finally, Dad stood down by the cars and one by one encountered each of the hunters and informed them that the place was closed to all hunting. That was the end of open hunting on our farm.

So, when I grew up and got property of my own, apparently I didn't learn from Dad's experiences (what kid does?). I fell into the same trap and invited out two co-workers. Oh yeah ...... pretty soon their relatives began to show up. Brothers, brother-in-laws, friends ..... the same thing all over again. The original people were long-gone and nothing but strangers swarmed all over the property to the point where I was in a foot-race in order to get the spots that I wanted ..... on my own property. It finally came to a head when I noticed a bunch of cars parking out front along the road and a whole pile of orange-coats bailing out and setting up a drive in the thicket in front of the house. I went down to give them the boot, and found out it was the brother-in-law of the first guy I invited out and his merry band of drivers. They were going to put on a drive right in front of my house. I sent them packing and wasn't really too nice about it. I spent the rest of the next few days posting up my boundary just about as tight as possible. It has stayed that way ever since.

Yes I remember when posted signs were a rarity, and I could hunt just about anywhere I could wander. As much as I hate posted signs, hunter densities and an eagerness to take advantage of hospitality have increased to the point that I and many other landowners have no choice but to try to maintain some sort of control. That control comes through posted signs and very careful and extremely limited offers of hunting access.

Doc

• Like 1

Doc,

Agree with you I own property in New York and it does suck that we as land owners need to go to this extent to keep people out I think that posted sighs are an eye sore. But because people don't show respect that is what it has come to.

I hunt Texas as you may know from some of my other replays. We do not have posted sighs the lands for the most part are low fenced. and that is the property line you just don't cross them. Plus it can turn in to a major fine for the trespasser if caught. 

About 80 to 90 % of the land in Texas is privately owned so for the most part if you don't own land you will have to lease it and the prices vary it big business in Texas. And very strict hunting rules depending on the owner.