Anybody else cutting hay?

chiefbkt

With this nice spell of weather forecasted I couldn't help but cut my 2 remaining fields (1st cutting). Cut the fields yesterday. It's been such a tough year to get the hay in with all the rain, but with this weather I am hoping to get it pretty much done for the year. Just one small field to second cut left and that's it. Cheers!

been working at it, real tough year,, I got less than twenty acres of first cut to mow yet ,slow process with ground so damp and the dew not lifting to eleven a.m. or after. Hopefully will be done in a weekif I'm lucky and hoping a killing frost holds off for corn to mature. this is certainly a very strange year.

Good luck, i'm going to start another field this morning , rake hay , unload yesterdays hay ,get another3 or 4 loads baled. hopefilly we can get the field done by bow season and get to spend some time in the trestand.

Edited by F-150

We are chopping 3rd cutting right now. Around 1000 acres.

Damn Sampotter! That is a whole lot of acreage. I have a hard time making hay on our 96 acres, couldn't imagine doing that. I know you're just chopping for silage now, but that must still take a few days. Awesome.
  • Like 1

I just want to thank all the real farmers for all that you do. It's pretty cool to me. Seriously.

Aww-shucks Elmer!

Damn Sampotter! That is a whole lot of acreage. I have a hard time making hay on our 96 acres, couldn't imagine doing that. I know you're just chopping for silage now, but that must still take a few days. Awesome.

I can't say I'm involved at all. I work with the cows only but the crop guys are running a Pottinger mower that mows 30'+ @>10mph, an Oxbo merger that is 40'+ wide, a Claas chopper, 2 semis, and 3 10-wheelers. A lot of moving parts. Oh yeah- 3 tractors on the silo pushing and packing.

We did our chopping a long time ago.... were trying to finish up 2nd cutting... baling it, got almost everything mowed off... only like 2 more fields...

sampotter I have a 15' Self Propeled diskbine and i think im lucky!!! plus its got the comforts of home lol air ride seat, a/c, radio, ect

Y'all are spoiled with those big fancy air conditioned tractors! Meanwhile I'm stuck with my Case IH 885 with no air ride, and no A/C. And my little old 389 haybine and 356 kicker baler...haha. I'm always amazed watching the big disc bines and how fast they mow. But when you don't cut much hay, it's not worth the purchase, at least for me. Enjoy!

Y'all are spoiled with those big fancy air conditioned tractors! Meanwhile I'm stuck with my Case IH 885 with no air ride, and no A/C. And my little old 389 haybine and 356 kicker baler...haha. I'm always amazed watching the big disc bines and how fast they mow. But when you don't cut much hay, it's not worth the purchase, at least for me. Enjoy!

O mowed w an old haybine for YEARS just last yr we upgraded and bought (from a dealer) a used Heston 8500 Mower and brand new Kuhn v-rake we still are using the old John Deere 336 square baler tho! lol we ave an older roundbaler too... next on the list is a self propelled chopper!!! we have been looking for one of them for a yr or so now...

Edited by josephmrtn

• 2 weeks later...