Bow Hunting Rocky Point - What do I need to know?

Lord of War

So I am finishing up my last purchases for my first hunting season this year and just wanted to ask if anyone has tips for hunting rocky point and having some success for a complete newbie.  Have done a lot of reading and research including mapping out potential areas.  The parking permit I got online, do I just fill it out myself or do I need to take it in to some office to have them sign off of the parking pass?  Do you guys find ground blinds or tree stands more comfortable?  I haven't bought one yet, and I know it's late to be doing so but I am trying to get it together for this season.  

Most importantly  how can I stay out of the way of other more experienced hunters.  I know when I go fishing I hate new guys or weekend warriors screwing me up by setting up shop near me and crossing my line, making a ton of noise and basically ruining my day.  I do not want to be one of those guys when it comes to hunting.  How can a new guy like me get out there and keep out of the way of veterans without disturbing their spots by spooking the deer.

Just put parking permit in viewable area on your dash, carry other permit with you and your good.  Before Nov 1st you do not need to check in at Ridge.  After that you do.  The lots are first come first serve (pre Nov 1) and hold either 1 or 2 cars.  Do some scouting now and find a tree, but beware of chiggers!  That's why I usually wait until after the second frost to hunt the island and do my scouting in the winter months after the season.  Good luck and see you out there...

Scout several locations.  I respect the first come first serve policy.  If its a location with designated parking spots and there is already a car parked there, I find a new location.  If it's a spot with multiple parking spots, I'll hike in but the moment I notice another hunting at a location, I'll turn around as to not trample through his/her hunting spot and hike to another location.

Blinds will be more comfortable as you can bring a pop-up chair with you but tree stands will provide you with better shooting angle and lane that you can't get from the ground.  Blinds also shield your movement which allows you to stretch those achy frozen muscles without much disturbance.  Problem with blinds is they really stand out.  Deer travel that route every day.  They'll notice a mound that wasn't there yesterday.  While not as noticeable, deer will see the tree stand as well unless you're literally right on top of them.  The notion that deer don't look up since they never deal with danger from above so they can't see you is false.  If you're staring at the house across the street, you don't have to look up to notice someone standing on the second floor balcony.  In the end, both provide an added advantage but neither one is truly necessary in my personal opinion.  I've had a deer come in less than 10 yards away from me simply by sandwiching myself between a rock wall and a tree.  (unfortunately, the deer happened to come in right in the direction of the tree so I had the tree blocking me.  It stood right at the turn in its trail before sniffing me out.  Two more steps and I would have had my shot)  Finding and hiding in natural cover won't stand out as much as portable blind since the deer has seen that fallen tree, boulder, or whatever everyday and already thinks it's harmless.

The fact that you're concerned with not disturbing other hunters means that you'll probably be more courteous than most of the other guys out there.  Just keep a reasonable distance if you come across another hunter and you'll be fine.  You have as much right to be out there as any other resident, as long as you're following the rules.

I usually hunt Otis Pike or the Sarnoff so maybe someone else would know better but as long as you park in the designated lots (the ones that are numbered) you should be good.  If I remember right the lot on the 25A bypass was always crowded with people other than hunters.

How is the hunting at Otis pike?  I picked Rocky point b/c I am in Nassau county and its closest but I would consider a longer drive if it means more success when hunting.  Its just a pain to scout out east for me ya know?

not bad but I hear Rocky PT is better.  I usually do not hunt the island until after Thanksgiving and find the checking in thing to be a pain so I stick to the spots south of the LIE in Otis Pike and the Sarnoff.  I don't know about RP but in the Sarnoff I always get bikers, hikers, etc....

bikers can be at rocky point until Nov 1st. most spots are 1 car only, RP is 5,500 acres plenty of areas to explore, some spots are better for still hunting others you can use a treestand, climber, some spots you can walk all day without finding a tree you can climb

technically most spots are 1 car per spot, spots are spread out although i understand your concern regarding your deer, you have just as much of a right to hunt as they do to bike if they don't like seeing dead deer they can bike in places that don't allow hunting.