If campground season is closed, can you still camp and hunt?

PostedBoys Gallego

Well even though the DEC website states the following:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7844.html

"

Hunting on Public Campgrounds

Hunting is not permitted within DEC campgrounds, although some campgrounds in the Adirondack and Catskill Forest Preserves allow camping during big game season.

DEC operates 52 public campgrounds in the Forest Preserves. Unloaded firearms are allowed on public campgrounds only during the spring and fall hunting seasons for hunting. A valid hunting license is needed. Firearms cannot be discharged in the campground or day use facilities at any time. For more information contact the Bureau of Recreation at (518) 402-9055.

Campgrounds outside the Forest Preserves are operated by the NYS Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation (OPRHP) (see link at right)."

I called that number and spoke to Recreations and they said they do not allow camping when the season is closed. Odd, because I definitely remember talking to people that were camping in the Adirondacks campground last early bear season. Ugh. I ask too many questions. Should think less and do more :P

I believe you can hunt and camp in state forest that allow rustic camping.  Been thinking of doing something like that for years.

Yes I'm sure that's exactly it! Camping at the "campground" site is way different than camping at one of the "rustic" sites along the, say, Cedar River Flow where sites are ALWAYS free. These sites are way more secluded and wild than any campground experience can offer and usually with good hunting.

All of these site in the Adirondacks and elsewhere in the state are available as a KMZ file from the DEC website. This KMZ file (and others helpful to hunters) when opened in Google Earth place the exact campsite locations on the map! An excellent hunting planner. These are just a few of the KMZ files available to you; State land boundries, DEC roads, Trails, fishing streams, boat lauches, day use areas, and way way more.

Mongaup Pond State Park campground in the Catskills is open through the Sunday of Columbus day weekend.  No hunting in the campground, but the surrounding state lands (minus the wildlife education camp and fish hatchery) are open for hunting.  Their primitive camp sites (no water, bathrooms, or johnny-on-the-spot) are outside of the main campground, so those can be used at any time.  Not sure if you need to check for availability in advanced or not.  If I recall correctly, the primitive sites are near the ranger's house at Mongaup Pond.

A few miles out of Mongaup Pond is a Boy Scout camp.  I don't recall the name of it.  I have seen some boy scout camps (at least one in Maryland) allow deer hunts on non-campsite portions of the property to reduce the deer herd that was starting to over-run the camp.  Some also allow rental of a cabin to non-scouts during off-season (usually to a family of other small group).  Of course no adult beverages are allowed on scout property.  So that is something else that can be looked into.

I would do the camping on sagamore road in moose river plains if i were solo but my friend is solely camping and rather be a campground so heading to Lewey Lake.

NFK, you don't happen to setup a huge outfitter tent on sagamore road do you? wish you the best bowhunting those deep woods. Tough stuff! I know first hand experience!

• 2 weeks later...