You ever just get a feeling...

Caveman

I went out on the state land by me today and hung a cheap comfort zone hang on.  I found a promising spot where two trails converge and enter an old overgrown orchard and I set up 15 yards off it.  Unfortunately it's a fairly obvious spot for other hunters and I have a feeling when I go back on opening day I'm going to find my tree sans tree stand.  Oh well, I knew it was a gamble when a hung it, that's why I use cheap stands.  

I don't think you have much to worry about with hunters. Might have to worry about DEC sitting in it waiting for your arrival. I left a climber overnight on state land once. The next afternoon when I arrived the DEC was sitting at the opening of the trail. Long story short he had me remove the stand and gave me a warning. State law does say that you can't leave a stand on state land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I spoke with my cousin beforehand (Lt. in the NYS Forest Rangers) just to be sure, and he said you can leave a stand on state land 2 weeks prior to opening as long as you tag it with your name and DOCS #.

The regs book I was reading says the rule requiring you to remove what you bring exempts non-permanent tree stands.  There are actually quite a few threads on this site discussing it too.  If you have info to the contrary please post it. I don't mean that in a confrontational way, I just want to know if I should go remove it before Cuomo auctions it off to fund more communist legislation.  

• Like 3

State land is always a gamble and hunters do tend to gravitate to the better looking spots where it's easy to walk to. All's you can do is try and if the spot doesn't pan out, keep on searching for a better spot. I've been scouring the genesee river bottom the last few years, 2 steep miles off the road and just about every good looking spot has a stand already in place.