new hunter advice

donrtowery

This year will be my first year hunting in New York.  I havent done any hunting in almost 20 years.  I've got tons of questions, so any tips / advice you can impart will be greatly appreciated.  I'll be rifle hunting from the ground.  When I hunted in Texas, we had an automatic deer feeder spewing corn, set on a timer, that was sitting about 20 yards in front of a permanent deer blind, so my knowledge of lures, de-scent sprays, decoys, calls, rattles, etc, is limited to what i've read.

I guess I'll just start at the top, lol.  Which one has the horns, the boy or the girl?  KIDDING!  I totally know the answer to that one :P

1.  I'll be hunting from the ground as I cant see myself climbing a tree.  Are the pop-up, tent-style blinds worth the money, or will I be just as well off propped up against a tree?  Do they at least keep you a little warmer, out of the wind/rain/snow?

2.  Doe scent / buck scent, does this stuff work?  whats the best?  I've ordered tink's scent bomb package that comes with a drag and one of the strap-on boot pads.  How far do you drag the scent?  

3.  De-scenting sprays, detergents, deodorants, clothing....I know deer have a great sense of smell...but how much of this stuff is over-kill...or is it all pretty necessary?

4.  I've been trying to do a little scouting on the land that I'll be hunting.  I'm not real sure what I'm suppose to be looking for.  My guess would be food sources (acorns?), and possible deer trails.  What things should I be keeping an eye out for when scouting that may improve my chances of taking a deer this year?

I guess thats a pretty good start for now.  If you guys have any links / resources you can recommend for new hunters, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

welcome you will find many many different answers to your questions from this site. So ill start with my own opinions and other people will give you something different most likely . You just have to take the advice and find something that will work for you the best.
Again these are my answers in number order.

1 Blinds do work, however they can be cumbersome. I don't llike carrying them around so I hunt from the ground and find a nice wide tree or rock wall. I have used a blind twice and will always prefer sittingagainst a tree or wall.

2. There are sssooo many different scents and lures out there and they all claim theirs are the best. I have been using buck bomb just for the conveience of the spray can. I just use it around my immediate area where I am sitting to help cover up any scent I am giving off.

3 I use 99%  I have their laundry detergent, deordorant, breath spray, shower soap,and the spray that goes one all of my layers of clothing. I feel you can NEVER use too much descenter spray.

4 Look for any scrapes, rubs, trails(I look for these the most) bedding areas, food sources. When I scout I go into the heavest thickest stuff you can find. . look for area that you would never want to go into and think that nobody else would go into either. That's probably the area where you should go..

as far as different informational sites. I use only one  and that's this site. there are tons of people, and you will get to know the names of the people that seem to know the most just by posting and asking questions. search past threads if you have a question most likely it has already been answered or talked about. but never feel afraid to post something. Just try and post your topic into the right topic area this way it makes the moderators jobs easier so they don't have to sort through each post and put them  where they belong... Happy hunting!!!!

1. I assume they'll at least keep the wind off of ya.  I spot and stalk or sit in a permanent tower stand.

2. Don't know, never used any of that stuff

3. See #2

4. Find food (acorns, grasses, corn, beans,), water, and cover and you'll find your deer

This place is a great source of information.  I also frequent biggamehunting.com and thefiringline.com.  The NYS DEC website has a bunch of helpful tips as well.  Good luck and happy hunting

1.  I'll be hunting from the ground as I cant see myself climbing a tree.  Are the pop-up, tent-style blinds worth the money, or will I be just as well off propped up against a tree?  Do they at least keep you a little warmer, out of the wind/rain/snow? I like propping up against the tree so my vision isn't hindered by being in the blind. Yes they help when its nasty out.

2.  Doe scent / buck scent, does this stuff work?  whats the best?  I've ordered tink's scent bomb package that comes with a drag and one of the strap-on boot pads.  How far do you drag the scent?  I have used scent in the past. I like code blue or red gel. Tinks is good also. I like to find a scrape and drag from the scrape to my stand.

3.  De-scenting sprays, detergents, deodorants, clothing....I know deer have a great sense of smell...but how much of this stuff is over-kill...or is it all pretty necessary? Some guys swear by it, I don't. I like leaving my stuff in a scent free bag with some pine cones and dirt, thats all. I also pee off my stand...........

4.  I've been trying to do a little scouting on the land that I'll be hunting.  I'm not real sure what I'm suppose to be looking for.  My guess would be food sources (acorns?), and possible deer trails.  What things should I be keeping an eye out for when scouting that may improve my chances of taking a deer this year? Deer poop! lol Depends what type of area you hunt. If it's deep woods with not much crops yes acorns would be good. A lot of ag around hunt the edges and trails to and from food sources. Just look for the physical sign, prints, poop, scrapes and rubs. Oh by the way if your from Texas you know a lot about feeders which are illegal in NY. No baiting, minerals and no throwing of corn feed!!! You will be banished from this site! lol Good luck I hope you shoot one!

Edited by First-light

As far as blinds go they can work very well but when I use one I find a spot off the game trail and plan on setting up well before the season starts and leaving it there all season. As far as everything else I agree find food, cover for bedding, scraps etc. Might be a good idea if you can to get some trail cams in the woods you'll be hunting also. If you can have a buddy who's been doing it go out with ya a few times you learn a lot from observing but most of all trial and error learn from being out there. Good luck!!!

. Oh by the way if your from Texas you know a lot about feeders which are illegal in NY. No baiting, minerals and no throwing of corn feed!!! You will be banished from this site! lol

I know that feeders, and minerals, etc is illegal DURING hunting season.  Is it also illegal BEFORE the season starts?  ie, set up a feeder for a couple months before the season begins and take it down when the season starts? 

As far as scrapes go, would I be finding them this early in the season, or more likely a little later?

thanks for all the great info so far! 

1. Blinds work good. Allow for some movement when you get restless. I recommend a chair blind. It's as easy as setting up a camp chair!

2. Scents work good depending on how you use them. I set up mock scrapes with scent. I like to use tinks on a wick and hang from a couple trees. I also put some on the bottom of my boots before walking in.

3. De-scenting is a must! I use body soap, shampoo, cloths spay and laundry detergent. I also like to break some pine trees and run it on my cloths before walking in.

4. Scouting is the best part. Look for tracks, poop, beds, and game trails. Be careful not to disturb the sign though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Feeders, salt blocks, food - mineral blocks, all that is illegal in NY. When your in Bass Pro, Gander Mountain, etc., try not to trip over the pallets of that jazz stacked on the floor or shelves.

One day I think some of these restrictions will get lifted. And then this state will see a sharp increase in welfare animals such as wild bore. Personaly I think a mineral block would help local deer but the right time to use them would be in the spring. All that other chemical waste people dump on their property they can keep imo.

Food plots and care of natural browse is fairly popular.

Forgot to add; not sure what area your near but look up a local fish & game - rod & gun club to sight in. Good luck.

Edited by Fantail
  • Like 1

Hello, New to the forum but not new to hunting. All though you would think I was. I've been reading post and past post. I have done all the things many of you talk about. I'M 45 years old. I am doing something wrong. I have only gotten 2 deer my entire life. I can shoot my bow and split arrows if I wanted to. I can shoot my rifle and hit any target consistently. The problem is i'm not seeing any deer. So who would like to help the old guy out......LOL I can tell I have gotten one with bow and one with rifle in same spot end of bow beginning of gun. 2 days season was over. I would really Appreciate any help. wife got laid off after 12 years with same company daughter in collage. and we all eat deer meet so it would be great to also help put food on the table and enjoy the outdoors.  

Pop Up blinds can be very useful. I use them every season and I've gotten 2 bucks and 1 bear from them. Like someone said it's a good idea to set up the blind a few weeks in advance. Also just don't plop it down anywhere. Try and use the terrain, rock walls, blowdowns, tall grass etc. to hide it as best as you can. Then brush it in. Take limbs, pine branches etc. to blend it in. Another tip for brushing it in is break up the outline by placing limbs and such behind the blind. Blinds will allow you to get away with some movement and I think they help to contain some of your scent. They will keep you dry and there is waterproofing sprays that can help with that. They do cut down on wind but as far as warmth not really.

Ah scents and lures ! There are so many gimicks out there it's pretty funny. Yet I find myself buying the latest in deer secretions and scents every season. I personally like to have at least some form of doe estrus scent and some kind of buck urine. Does it work ? Honestly the best answer I can say is sometimes. Bringing me to your next Question.....

De-scenting sprays, cover scents etc. I think these are very effective. I believe all the brands work for the most part. How scent free are you aiming for is another issue entirely. When bowhunting the extent some hunters go to be "scent free" can be scary. That said I do shower with scent frre soap andd shampoo, sf deodorant,gum , I wash all my hunting clothes with sf soap then hang outside to dry or I use the scent absorbing dryer sheets for the dryer. Day of hunt I use the field spray religiously. Now as far as using sprays with earth scent and such in them that's up to you. I have used them and saw plenty of deer and then there are seasons where I won't. Personal Pref. I guess.

Where to set up is the big question. I read some good tips already posted for that. I like to look for rub lines as opposed to lone rubs. I'm not big on hunting scrapes unless you know with out a doubt it's a primary scrape. Like I said I like to look for rub lines close to food or bedding in a transition area. what I mean about looking for transition areas is looking for changes in the woods like where a swampy area meets hardwoods or where hardwoods meet a field, etc. Also look for ridge lines and more importantly secondary ridges. Dont' set up on the very top of ridges but come down the hillside a little ways. Then you could look for more subtle transitions like where old growth borders new growth. I love hunting where there has been logging done the year before. This opens up the canopy allowing in more sunlight and a lot of green new growth will grow on the ground. Deer love that. Like you also said look for oaks dropping acorns, apple trees. I've learned that if you find a little cluster of apple trees in the middle of the woods to set up there. Deer will feed on those little food havens before they go to where there's a whole orchard. I also learned that you have a better chance of catching them during daylight hours at the little apple tree cluster nestled in the middle of knowhwere than seeing them during the day at a row of apple trees along the road. Same thing goes for acorns. Look for that little oak grove where there are no oaks for acres and acres. those 5 to 10 oaks will be lit up when they start dropping acorns.

You need to remember that you probably are not going to see 15 20 deer with 3 or 4 shooter bucks running wild the very first day. You have to keep at it. Give each area sometime. I like to hunt a spot at least 3 days in a row. You might want to have 2,3,or4 different blinds or spots ready to hunt. Like some already said there's nothing wrong with sitting against a tree or rock wall either. You can build a good blind in minutes using limbs and pine boughs. They sell blind material like burlap or nylon for cheap that is very useful used with tree limbs and such. Remember to be aware of what the wind is doing also and set your blind accordingly. I am by no means an expert but these are some things that work for me. Anoither thing to remember is sometimes learn from yourself. Trial and error. Most important is HAVE FUN ! 

I hope this helps you and I wish you good luck and be Safe !

This year will be my first year hunting in New York.  I havent done any hunting in almost 20 years.  I've got tons of questions, so any tips / advice you can impart will be greatly appreciated.  I'll be rifle hunting from the ground.  When I hunted in Texas, we had an automatic deer feeder spewing corn, set on a timer, that was sitting about 20 yards in front of a permanent deer blind, so my knowledge of lures, de-scent sprays, decoys, calls, rattles, etc, is limited to what i've read.

I guess I'll just start at the top, lol.  Which one has the horns, the boy or the girl?  KIDDING!  I totally know the answer to that one :P

1.  I'll be hunting from the ground as I cant see myself climbing a tree.  Are the pop-up, tent-style blinds worth the money, or will I be just as well off propped up against a tree?  Do they at least keep you a little warmer, out of the wind/rain/snow?

2.  Doe scent / buck scent, does this stuff work?  whats the best?  I've ordered tink's scent bomb package that comes with a drag and one of the strap-on boot pads.  How far do you drag the scent?  

3.  De-scenting sprays, detergents, deodorants, clothing....I know deer have a great sense of smell...but how much of this stuff is over-kill...or is it all pretty necessary?

4.  I've been trying to do a little scouting on the land that I'll be hunting.  I'm not real sure what I'm suppose to be looking for.  My guess would be food sources (acorns?), and possible deer trails.  What things should I be keeping an eye out for when scouting that may improve my chances of taking a deer this year?

I guess thats a pretty good start for now.  If you guys have any links / resources you can recommend for new hunters, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

1. yes. You get what you pay for though. There are pros and cons to pop up blinds. You mentioned some of the pros, but in addition they also obviously they conceal movement. Also they do restrict some shots and they should be set up in advance and left there for the season. Also you should wear all black from top up if hunting in a blind so you're not silhouetted inside.

2. yes and no. I've had best results with mock scrapes and the occasional drag. any brand will do. I would not consider these similar to a corn spreader or "hunt them". They can attract deer though. You may have better luck with food plots if you're looking to hunt "over something" versus hunting the rut and/or runs.

3.you can stink like a goat if the wind is right. Not much of it is overkill and does increase your odds, especially during bow season. You can spend under $20 with some decent hair/body soap, deodorant, detergent, some field spray and then you can go above and beyond and get some scent-lok. Again most any brand will do. Best thing to do is just hang your clothes outside for some time. Don't add coverup scents (if you add pine and don't hunt near pine it'll be foreign. If you add apples and don't hunt near apples it'll be foreign) They sell combo packs at dicks that'll have everything you need.I even have lip-balm and toothpaste.... but that's probably overkill. Honestly you don't even really need camo. These things do increase your odds, none are necessary though.

4. Trails, scrapes, rubs. Get a cheap cam and stick it near an old apple tree, oak, hickory, trail or something where deer might be.

Edited by Belo

I picked up some de-scent spray, deodorant and soap last night at wally world.  Went out on a short scout before work.  I know where a single small wild apple tree is in the woods i'll be hunting.  Its already pretty picked over, just a few apples left, but saw at least 2 different sets of tracks under and around the tree.  One set looks like a younger / smaller deer, small impression with pointed toes.  The other looks like a pretty good sized animal, deep depression with more squared toes (I think this indicates maturity?).  I didnt find any deer poo, but there was some...possibly fox scat under the tree.  I was sticking mainly to the ATV / logging trail that goes through the woods.  Tomorrow I'll head out before work for a longer trek, go through some of the more dense woods and try out some of the de-scent products, maybe i'll be able to sneak up on the big one thats been feeding on the apples.

I saw quite a few, what I believe are rubs, but they dont look fresh.  Hopefully I'll spot some fresh ones when I go out tomorrow.

Also, I was wondering, do any of you try  luring or calling bucks before the season starts?  I was thinking of sitting at the edge of the woods, hanging up a scent bomb and doing a little calling practice with the rattle box / buck roar.  Not sure how effective it will be, if at all since its not rut time yet.

Edited by donrtowery

I picked up some de-scent spray, deodorant and soap last night at wally world.  Went out on a short scout before work.  I know where a single small wild apple tree is in the woods i'll be hunting.  Its already pretty picked over, just a few apples left, but saw at least 2 different sets of tracks under and around the tree.  One set looks like a younger / smaller deer, small impression with pointed toes.  The other looks like a pretty good sized animal, deep depression with more squared toes (I think this indicates maturity?).  I didnt find any deer poo, but there was some...possibly fox scat under the tree.  I was sticking mainly to the ATV / logging trail that goes through the woods.  Tomorrow I'll head out before work for a longer trek, go through some of the more dense woods and try out some of the de-scent products, maybe i'll be able to sneak up on the big one thats been feeding on the apples.

I saw quite a few, what I believe are rubs, but they dont look fresh.  Hopefully I'll spot some fresh ones when I go out tomorrow.

Also, I was wondering, do any of you try  luring or calling bucks before the season starts?  I was thinking of sitting at the edge of the woods, hanging up a scent bomb and doing a little calling practice with the rattle box / buck roar.  Not sure how effective it will be, if at all since its not rut time yet.

answer to your questions earlier. yes see deer there all the time. there is food. water bedding poop rubs and scraps. but never deer once season starts.  also

Yes I have rattled a 6 and an 8 pointer in. and grunt has worked good too. but they never give me a shot. sometimes I get no response. all depends if there in the area or not.

answer to your questions earlier. yes see deer there all the time. there is food. water bedding poop rubs and scraps. but never deer once season starts.  also

Yes I have rattled a 6 and an 8 pointer in. and grunt has worked good too. but they never give me a shot. sometimes I get no response. all depends if there in the area or not.

i think his question was if he should call before the season? and if I'm correct, i'm not sure that would make much of a difference especially once the rut starts. Bucks will travel quite a distance, but maybe someone who has tried this can chime in.

calling during the season, if done right can certainly pay off big. You seem to be focusing a lot on lures and attractants and you really don't need to hunt that way. All those things can certainly help, but scouting your area and identifying runs and patters is all you really need. It's getting late to put in a stand or blind so I'd do that soon and dont get frustrated. You can sit days without seeing a deer. Patience will pay off eventually though.

Edited by Belo

Hello, New to the forum but not new to hunting. All though you would think I was. I've been reading post and past post. I have done all the things many of you talk about. I'M 45 years old. I am doing something wrong. I have only gotten 2 deer my entire life. I can shoot my bow and split arrows if I wanted to. I can shoot my rifle and hit any target consistently. The problem is i'm not seeing any deer. So who would like to help the old guy out......LOL I can tell I have gotten one with bow and one with rifle in same spot end of bow beginning of gun. 2 days season was over. I would really Appreciate any help. wife got laid off after 12 years with same company daughter in collage. and we all eat deer meet so it would be great to also help put food on the table and enjoy the outdoors.  

Noluckhunter is confused and is confusing others because he, probably unintentionally, hijacked the thread by posting his own "new hunter" questions here instead of creating his own thread.  Then, as I was asking about pre-season calling...he thought I was asking him a question directly.

45? Stiill a young buck.LOL  Do you hunt private or state land? The secret to success? Well find where the deer are. Trails,feeding areas, trails, funnels,scrapes,rubs all are signs that deer are around. The trick is to find a spot you have confidence in and sit,sit,sit. On stateland a honeyhole one year may be messed up the next by other hunters. Patience is the key.Some guys have success walking and stalking,but for me its SIT and wait.A good day of hunting for me is sitting all day,pack a lunch,snacks coffee and whatever else. Sounds pretty simple and has worked for me year in and year out.

Thanks!

Yes they are worth the money IMO and DEFF will help in the cold if  u dont have cold wind blowing in around the bottom (keep it staked good)

I dont know but i always use it :)

I ALWAYS use it!!! i dont know fo sure if it "works" but im sure it helps (ESP while bowhunting)

Think apples right now they are a HUGE draw on our farm right now and its where all my cameras are set up...

I didn't read every response so I apologize if I repeat some info.

I guess I'll just start at the top, lol.  Which one has the horns, the boy or the girl?  KIDDING!  I totally know the answer to that one  :P

Neither one.  Deer have Antlers.....Sheep, cows, goats etc have horns.  There IS a difference.  Antlers fall off and grow back, horns remain.

Worth the money?  Yes and no.  If one is setup prior to the season and further camouflaged with extra branches, etc, they can be great. Deer will become used to it in the same way they get used to new tree stands.  They can keep you out of the weather and can keep you warmer via cutting down the wind, etc.  Deer CAN notice a blind that is randomly setup in a new area. If care is taken to hide the blind better, say under some overhanging evergreen branches or amongst some thick stuff, then it will be less likely to be noticed.  As someone else said, they are cumbersome to lug around every time you hunt. 

As a method to cover up ones tracks, I suppose it can work well.  However, I personally have never seen evidence to support the fact that I see more deer when using it in this manner.  I can say for sure that I have never once seen a buck lock onto my drag line, turn and come straight to my stand following the scent trail.  It just doesn't happen that way. Has it happened like that for others?  Maybe.  It definitely happens that way for the people who are selling the product....hint hint!!  Personally, I don't spend the money for this stuff.  Instead, I focus on playing the wind and remaining as scent free as possible.

Once again I think there is a ton of miss-information and sales person hype out there.....especially in the world of scent free sprays and what-not.  I'm one of those people that believe that the scent-lock type clothing is a bunch of hogwash and completely unnecessary.  I don't go out of my way to purchase these products although I do have a couple of scent-lock items just because I liked the product itself and it happened to have scent-lock built in.....a hat or an undershirt for example.  As for cover-sprays I do use them.  I have used Scent Away and other such things but to be honest, I'm not anal about using them on every hunt and yet I still have my fair share of encounters.  I have had deer with 20-30 yards on hunts where I did not use anything.  I'm not discouraging anyone from using these products rather, I'm trying to point out that they are not 100% necessary.  Playing the wind is really the key.   I even hunted a few times when I didn't have any "hunting clothes" (no camo, no scents, etc) and I still saw some deer.

Having said that, it is important to try to get into the habit of using a decent scent free strategy.  For example, I do keep all of my hunting clothing and gear like my backpack in tupperware containers.  I fill those containers with leaves, grass, branches, even dirt, etc that are taken from my hunting areas.  The smell of this stuff trapped in the containers begins to permeate the clothing.  It works quite well as a cover scent.  I also take a shower before every hunt using hunting soaps and shampoo's that are sold at places like Dicks's etc.  I set aside a couple towels to dry me off making sure these towels were washed in hunting laundry detergent...NOT the normal detergent. Beyond that, just use some common sense such as don't stand around behind your truck as the exhaust fumes blow on you.  Don't wear your hunting clothes until you get to the place you plan to hunt.  Etc.

What should you be looking for?  Umm.....deer!  haha.   Seriously, all those things you said are good to look for.  Try to think like a deer in terms of looking at the land you plan to hunt.  If you were a deer,  how would you travel through the area?  What foods would you likely eat? Where would you drink?  Obvious deer sign will be dropping, tree rubs, ground scrapes and well worn trails with footprints.    

Edited by vipertech