Bear hunt help

CuseHunter

WHerever you go,find beechnut trees or cherry trees.Look for old and fresh sign.Beechnuts may have scars on them from bears raking their claws in them and if you find bear crap,keep your eyes peeled,they aren't far.ALso concentrate on mast areas near wet areas early in the season because they will cool themselves in water during a hot day.

I have some land bout 30miles from Cranberry Lake.  There is definitely a bear population in that general area.  I have also heard Fort Drum has a decent population.  By the way I live in the Cuse burbs as well.  As far as bear hunting tips cant help you as I have never targeted the species.  I can tell you I have seen a couple of bears while turkey hunting this past spring but no rhyme or reason why there were in the area as both times they were just crossing some pasture areas.

All I can say is hunting bear exclusively without bait is real tough. Spot and stalk is practically impossible in the ADK especially this time of year with all the dense foliage. If you go often, you might be able to scout and find areas where they frequent and then become more successful over time. I would recommend going up during deer season, that way you can have a better chance at seeing either bear or deer. This was my last year driving 5 hours to try and find a bear in that dense forest. However, if you have the time and expenses to kill, I wish you the best of luck and hope you get one! Report back how it goes, looking forward to it. I'd give you tips if I had any, but I'm bearless the last 3 years. :)

• Like 1

Come here to Jersey, they are like squirrels here :fie:

I might just call off the last minute hunt. I was invisioning going there and hunting it like him Shockey in the Yukon but I know it will be thick woods, impossible to walk through quietly. I might have to hold off till next year and check out jersey
  • Like 1

I might just call off the last minute hunt. I was invisioning going there and hunting it like him Shockey in the Yukon but I know it will be thick woods, impossible to walk through quietly. I might have to hold off till next year and check out jersey

When you do look into Newark watershed and Waywayanda state park areas. More bears than ticks 

• 1 month later...

Cuse, I'm going to be trying for bear for the first time too after tagging my buck...I'll be trying n the area of Italy Hill, Yates County!  Good Luck to you...I've never gotten a bear yet either.  I'm excited about giving it a try!

Edited by JALA RUT