Alaska

Nomad

22 minutes ago, Nomad said:

When there’s an explosion and building fire as you walk by … 1st o/s.

Vancouver BC, near china town , one shitty area …

I stayed a day & night in Vancouver en route to Anahim Lake, BC for a lynx hunt. The street closest to the water was nice with bars and restaurants. Everything else in Vancouver was depressing and gross. Junkies everywhere. This was 2013, so i can only imagine it got even worse (if that's possible).

We stayed in Vancouver for 2 nights after our first Alaska cruise.  The metro system was awesome, very easy to use and clean, safe, etc. We rented bikes and toured around Vancouver Park which was very nice.  Lots of shops and nice views. 

That night we went to ChinaTown and had reservations at a sports bar.  We went there and they said 20 minute wait, even though place only looked half full.   Next door was a restaurant filled with Chinese people, so we ate there instead.  We asked the table next to us to order for us and had one of the best meals ever.  

Every city has bad areas, just be aware and do some research before just going around town.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BizCT said:

I stayed a day & night in Vancouver en route to Anahim Lake, BC for a lynx hunt. The street closest to the water was nice with bars and restaurants. Everything else in Vancouver was depressing and gross. Junkies everywhere. This was 2013, so i can only imagine it got even worse (if that's possible).

China town and gaslight area , I looked  up the “ bad “areas upon arrival. Mass homeless camps , mentally I’ll drug used and open air prostitution.

Of course our fellow travelers wanted to get off the bus there… dispite my warning .

idk why 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Nomad said:

China town and gaslight area , I looked  up the “ bad “areas upon arrival. Mass homeless camps , mentally I’ll drug used and open air prostitution.

Of course our fellow travelers wanted to get off the bus there… dispite my warning .

idk why 

3 hours ago, Otto said:

We stayed in Vancouver for 2 nights after our first Alaska cruise.  The metro system was awesome, very easy to use and clean, safe, etc. We rented bikes and toured around Vancouver Park which was very nice.  Lots of shops and nice views. 

That night we went to ChinaTown and had reservations at a sports bar.  We went there and they said 20 minute wait, even though place only looked half full.   Next door was a restaurant filled with Chinese people, so we ate there instead.  We asked the table next to us to order for us and had one of the best meals ever.  

Every city has bad areas, just be aware and do some research before just going around town.  

Some of the northern BC small towns are really bad with drugs and alcohol with the old school natives. I'm talking places like 2-3 hours to a grocery store. Middle of nowhere and really weird.

50 minutes ago, BizCT said:

Some of the northern BC small towns are really bad with drugs and alcohol with the old school natives. I'm talking places like 2-3 hours to a grocery store. Middle of nowhere and really weird.

I’ve been in towns like that in Northern Ontario and Quebec.   

• Like 1

Rundown of trip .

We did a week land and a week cruise, do the land portion first, if you go . The land part is more non stop while the cruise has a couple days at sea to just chill and rest up .

Alaska is a native word for you tip every person in the state ….it got a bit much frankly. Our guides for an ATV excursion were a bio chemical engineer and a LA tv producer ( Americas got talent and several hgtv shows ) they should be tipping me !

Outside of Denali the excursions were repetitive, choose wisely.

these trips appeal to old people many grossly overweight , I was hip checked so much I thought I was traveling with  the Boston Bruins .

we took the Alaskan rail system the complete length almost 500 miles , it’s great ! Glass cars comfortable seats very good food, but the last leg from Anchorage  to Seward was the best part .

im not a group traveler guy , we had six of us , and group dynamics takes play, I simply went along even though I’m not a do things all day EVERYDAY, guy or a “ cruiser “. One day we walked almost 8 miles around Vancouver not very relaxing, then we had to get up at 3am to catch our 6am flight home .

The great bear debacle ! Mrs and I were in a bar in Skagway ,a worker told us on our Haines stop to go to a certain lake , the bears are out now feeding on salmon, gave us a drivers #.  We get there in the evening , our friend who kinda took over the trip, calls him, hears its $40 per person and says no ! The other  couple doesn’t  want to get wet ! It’s Alaska in august and you’re wearing gore Tex in a van …

I was fu%£ ing pissed . Our other excursions were $150-$200 each she bitches  about $40. Then they said well we might not even see bears. To which I replied the locals I just talked to said it’s certain that we would .

Cool trip , I liked the land part best, our guide was fantastic! He stopped doing this ten years ago and is a Pham rep in Chicago, but they’re so  short staffed he did a few tours on his vacation. He handles everything, you never touch your luggage either it’s all picked up outside your door and delivered to your next room  . It’s hard to imagine a more knowledgeable guide , he was born and lived most of his life in AK . It ran smooth and by the numbers .

I never researched the possible AK trips, but I think I’d do more land based, Denali and the railroad for sure, Anchorage was the best city by far although Juneau was very very good but more a tourist city , but still  fun and worth a day but it’s only reachable by boat or air …

im tired and need a shower…

• Like 6

We did the land/sea cruise our first time, and went back a couple of years later and rented a van and did a big loop all land, all preplanned and organized.   Did a couple of sea sightseeing trips too.  Both trips were fantastic.  Next time though is a fishing and/or hunting excursion.  My wife can chill out in Homer while I am doing other things. 

• Like 1

Native Indians in NYC 3 hours away from a grocery store? What neighborhood is that, Rikers island??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Well no neighborhoods fill native to NYC and drugged out and while the grocery store may be close they are only going there for rediwhip cans and scratch tickets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, crappyice said:

Well no neighborhoods fill native to NYC and drugged out and while the grocery store may be close they are only going there for rediwhip cans and scratch tickets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea I meant middle of nowhere. Every city has junkies. That's why all cities suck!

This 4 hour time change is killing me !

Animal run down , brown bear, black bear , caribou, moose, dall sheep eagles . We also made the 30% club three times actually, only 30% of visitors see Mt Denali due to cloud cover .

Now to get ready for bow season !

011812D7-F823-4159-896B-F3B877126A37.jpeg

• Like 2