Deerthug's 2013 Hunting Journal

Deerthug

Well it's a bit late in the year to start this but better late than never I guess.

I spent some time this afternoon going through my gear and getting it ready for this coming Friday. Got all in order. Checked and double checked my bow making sure all bolts and screws are tight. Examined my arrows and broadheads for damage. Attached my GoPro mount to my stab. Clothes are all washed - including T-shirts and shorts and lots of scent free deodorant. And premetherin spray. Thermacell working with earth scent pads and butane refills. Tested my DIY slow honey burn and it works great!

Now all I need is some deer and perhaps a black bear to cross in front of my stand this coming weekend.

After sitting for a total of 15 hours this past weekend I saw absolutely nothing but squirrels and chipmunks. I knew the deer were out near my stand as I caught them on my trail cam as late as last thursday evening. But perhaps it was too warm, the noise of heavy machinery coming from the nearby property or the neighbor's kid blowing a whistle for a 1/2 hour straight just before sunset kept them away.

Oh well "ces la vie" at least I got to sit in the woods just by myself thinking about absolutely nothing.

Hoping to get back out there soon but from the looks of things it may not be until Nov 2nd.

• 4 weeks later...

Skunked again this weekend. Saw one deer in my treestand after sitting 7hrs yesterday and nothing today. Not to mention my trail cam was stolen and my blind has been used by a trespasser. Ugh! I've had enough. Heading back in for coffee and then back to long Island.

Sent with Tapatalk on my Samsung Galaxy 4

Certainly does suck. Made it back to LI in good time no traffic even on the XB expressway. Next weekend is a trip to Queensbury NY to watch my daughter run in the NYS Cross Country championships. Heading up again to camp for firearms start on Nov 16th. Boy scout campout the weekend after that and then maybe heading up Thanksgiving weekend if I dont tagout on opening weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

As I'm sitting here watching the day come to an end and the sun setting behind the Catskill mountains I can only think about God's beautiful creations without which there would be no woods to hunt, or creatures to harvest. I pray that tomorrow God gives me the opportunity to see His creatures roam below my stand and gives me the strength and courage to keep my aim true and clean so that I can provide for my family but most of all that He keeps me and all my fellow hunters safe.

post-1257-13845522780467_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

As I'm sitting here watching the day come to an end and the sun setting behind the Catskill mountains I can only think about God's beautiful creations without which there would be no woods to hunt, or creatures to harvest. I pray that tomorrow God gives me the opportunity to see His creatures roam below my stand and gives me the strength and courage to keep my aim true and clean so that I can provide for my family but most of all that He keeps me and all my fellow hunters safe.

Amen

That shot is awesome, thanks for taking me away and into your world for a moment!  Hope you get the Brute! 

Good Luck!  Be Safe! 

Up at 4:30. Coffee is brewing. Dressed in first layers. Step outside and it's drizzling. Wtf? Luckily we are just getting clipped according to the radar. Hoping the deer will be moving after the rain stops. Goodluck, stay dry and be safe.

So I closed the deal on a nice doe around 9:30 this morning. As I was glassing the field behind me about 500 yards away I see one side of what looked like a nice 8 pt bedded down beneath some Pine trees. As I'm watching him move its rack a shot rings out from the direction where my BIL was sitting. I hear 2 more ring out. As the 3rd shot rings out from the corner of my eye I see a doe jump out from the corn reacting to the shot. She runs about 10 feet out of the corn and stands broadside at about 30-35 yards looking out in the direction of where the shot came from. I raise my Remy put the cross hairs on her and I squeeze the trigger. I hit her right at her left shoulder and she hobbles toward my treestand. She tries to jump the fence bordering the adjacent property but does not make it. She turns falls and lets out her last breath 10 feet from the bottom of my treestand ladder. I look back toward where the buck was bedded and he did not move at all. I climb down a few minutes later, walk the 10 feet toward her, kneel down, remove my hat and thank the good Lord for allowing me to make a clean kill and harvest one of his creatures. Shot was through the left shoulder and out her chest.

post-1257-13846216289869_thumb.jpg

Edited by Deerthug
  • Like 1

Well after sitting in my stand for about 1 1/2 hours this afternoon at about 4:00 I hear what I thought were antlers crashing about 100 yards behind me. I hit my rattles and blow a few tunes on my grunt call. 15 mins later I hear crunching coming from behind my tree stand. Thinking it's a squirrel I don't pay it much mind so I start glassing the corn field. A minute or so later as I'm glassing the field behind me the crunching gets louder and louder. As I put my binos down I see a buck coming out from the brush behind me. At first I only see what appeared to be a four point. Then I see 3 on one side. As I consciously make the decision to pass on him he comes out a bit farther all the while he's looking at me. Suddenly I see 4 points on one side and my adrenaline started pumping. I slowly put my binos down moving ever so gently as he continues to stare at me trying to figure out what I am. He looks away and I finally get my binos down. He's starts looking at me again. Now I see 8pts. He turns away and I get my hand on my Remy that was hanging on a tree hook. He turns back to me. I freeze for what seemed like an eternity with the stock of my Remy on my thigh. He turns away and starts walking away from me at 35 yards from my tree. I get my Remy down and the scope to my eye and safety off in a matter of 3 secs. He stops quartering away and I squeeze the trigger. Just as I squeeze the trigger he starts to turn further quartering away and the next thing I see is his rump go down and he drags himself into thick brush. My heart sinks. I felt like throwing up. I waited 20 mins and then I get down to start tracking him thinking I wounded him and I'm going to spend hours looking for him. I start tracking him in the thick brush. I chamber another round just in case but I come upon him about 20 yards into the thicket and he's already expired. I kneel over him and thank our good Lord for the second time today.

post-1257-13846531848708_thumb.jpg

• Like 3