It's started....

growalot

60's during the day 40's at night here, 100% of rain today and very windy ( deer won't be moving today) even though we are on the good side of the moon.Been out in the woods every day cutting firewood, the deer were moving early in the morning and bedded down most of the day untill evening.Bucks are scraping, does chaseing new born to seperate bedding areas. My observation for the past week.

Deer will indeed move in wind. You just need to know where to look.

Look for low lying open areas with food. Their nose and hearing are compromised in such conditions that they then rely on their vision more.

Low areas blocking wind with short green fields (say a low corner of a field) or an open wooded area, allows them to use their eyes as best as possible. They'll move to the center of the low spot to make distance between them any anything blocking their vision and feed. They'll do so in good numbers too - it'll look like a mini-yarding group if you find the right pocket. I think it's an underrated time to find a bigger buck, too.

does chaseing new born to seperate bedding areas.

I was surprised that last nights fawns were all on their own....I had seen some big bodied deer and was chasing  at my stand in the woods the evening before last...but to dark to get a good sight....They were all under another favorite buck stand ...that is in need of repair...thinking of going out while this weather is crappy to do just that...nothing worse than sitting in one stand watching them walk under the other...though I did have does right under me...just not up for the mad dash to gut...skin... quarter and ice in 80 degree weather with a bad knee...

• Like 1

Deer need to eat about every 4 hours... the problem currently is the amount of mast available to them...  they are moving, but not far.  The temps look much better in the next 10 days.   Heavy rain and wind here at the moment.

You got that right - the next couple days after this wind storm is going to cause alot of "where are the deer?" posts. With the wind and all of the mast that's going to fall as a result...it'll take several days for them to be scooped up. This coming weekend might be slower than many people expect.

Edited by phade

Im hoping your right. They were hitting the apples hard before the storm. Apples were slowly falling but now im sure most will drop. Good news for me...and hopefully bad news for the deer. Although ive yet to see a buck hitting the apples, with the exception of a dog sized button buck lol

Sent from Outer Space

The problem (maby not ) by me there are so many ( wild ) apple trees spread out over every piece of property, that the ground is covered with them around each tree.More then they can eat.On my property I have been picking them up every day making juice and sauce and still a bunch rotting. I also have many small food plots so they do not have to travel far to hit them. In fact for the last 4 days the young ( born this year ) have been bedding in or around them. 

• Like 1

Don't forget the new fallen leaves. Their hitting the ash leaves that are on the ground here. Something that draws them to certain leaf falls.

Agreed...maple becomes a big favorite for a very short period of time, but they'll eat them all season long if they are around. The peak is the starch to sugar content at the point they fall off the tree.

• Like 1

Today I decided to drag the 12 ft step ladder down...OMG a 4,300ft round trip...to fix the buck stand and the ridge stand...done...one bug out of my hair...Oh speaking of which ...got home took off wet clothes..seriously rained out...walked through the door stopped and now sunny.... ..put on bath robe next thing I know ticks falling out of my hair on robe...First of the year ...dang skin is crawling now.....any ways...the beech nuts and maple seeds were 2ins. thick in the woods.....