finger lakes national forest

edbone

Anybody hunted the finger lakes national forest yet?Seeing any?Should be a good amount as the doe permits finally went to (high) this year.Headed down with the boy tomorrow with the bows.Hopefully rain holds off.

I'm sure the hunting will be great now that hunters can go in there. Illegal to hunt there while the govt shutdown was in effect.

That land belongs to you (US Citizen's)...not the federal government.  Its a shame that folks would be afraid to use (hike / hunt) something that belongs to them

Because its illegal. Simple. The value of breaking the law vs. the problem of fighting it in this situation is laughable.

• Like 1

I guess, but most civil disobedience is actually illegal.  The world has turned upside down.  Or maybe I’m just seeing things clearly now.  But many folks are sheep willing to be shorn.  I won’t be cropped any longer in silence.  Enough is enough.  They will still take my hard earned dollars and give it to societal parasites, but I will be vocal about it.  If i wanted to hunt or hike that land I would have

Its def federal land not state land.Hunted it for 40 years.A lot of deer in there it has just gotten so thick that the deer can hide so well.Spots that were fields 30 plus years ago are now thick pine trees that you got to crawl through.But we all know the deer love to bed in them.

The Hector National Forest used to be all farmland. But the soil was poor and was over farmed and harvested. Most of the land was bare no trees left. Also these was a huge flood in 1938 I believe that washed alot of the top soil away from this area. So the Federal Government bought the land and moved the farmers to better ground. That is why there is alot of brush lots.

It was never shut down,just the ranger station was. I seen people hunting, lots of people hiking, and then they had some big horse ride through it just last week. Well if it was shut down, someone forgot to tell all the cows in the pastures as they are still there..

all federal lands were closed legally. what people did is another story.

• 2 weeks later...

Question: What is good small game this time of year on this land?

I still don't bow hunt although I probably will next year, but small game is open.

I grew up in Elmira and spent every summer around Watkins and never knew 16,000-ish acres of public hunting land existed. Am I missing something?  

Thanks for your replies in advance.

• 1 month later...