can you shoot more than one buck

LuckyPickle123

On damage permits that are good for either sex, in most cases the racks are not allowed to be kept and must be turned over.

It's not common for bucks to be allowed on damage permits, but does happen on occasion in severe situations (extremely rare) and in cases of tree damage from rubs (say a tree farm).

Edited by phade

Hmm,Didnt know that. Did know we could only take does when we had problems a few years back up here!

It is usually where the horns are involved in the damage. Like Orchards and nurseries becasue of rubbing damage. The one I use to go and fill tags for had $75,000 in just rubbing damage in one year. once that tree is scarred it is worthless in the market.

There was never a requirement to turn over horns on those permits.

• Like 1

I really hope you have the term "Southern Tier" confused with Westchester county... and not the counties that border northern PA like Steuben, Tioga, etc. There is a HUGE difference. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Tier

There is no way a hunter can legally have killed 2 bucks so far in the Southern Tier.

The only way a hunter in NY could have shot 2 bucks legally so far would be:

1 in the Northern zone on last year's tag 9/27-9/30/13 + 1 on this year's tag

OR

1 on the archery either sex tag in any WMU + 1 in Westchester or Suffolk County on the regular season tag.

http://www.eregulations.com/newyork/hunting/deer-hunting-tag-descriptions/

3S and 1C is in the Southern Tier. Southern Tier is not exclusive, but is inclusive. All depends on your education and how you want to read into my statement.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

3S and 1C is in the Southern Tier. Southern Tier is not exclusive, but is inclusive. All depends on your education and how you want to read into my statement.

Shawnhu- Read into my statement; hopefully I am clear. I don't usually get annoyed with other Huntingny members but I can see why you have had little tiffs with other members recently. First off, before you criticize my education level or anyone else's you really need to make sure you use grammatically correct and complete sentences. Otherwise it proves in the very least that you have not mastered the English language and are in no position to question anyone else's schooling. Second, do an internet search and give yourself a geography lesson; WMUs 3S and 1C are not part of the Southern Tier.

• Like 1

Shawnhu- Read into my statement; hopefully I am clear. I don't usually get annoyed with other Huntingny members but I can see why you have had little tiffs with other members recently. First off, before you criticize my education level or anyone else's you really need to make sure you use grammatically correct and complete sentences. Otherwise it proves in the very least that you have not mastered the English language and are in no position to question anyone else's schooling. Second, do an internet search and give yourself a geography lesson; WMUs 3S and 1C are not part of the Southern Tier.

From a previous post,

You can shoot two bucks with this year's southern tier tags, in the southern tier in 2 specific WMU's.

So what exactly is 3s and 1c if they are not included in the Southern Tier?

Btw, you spelled Internet wrong tough guy.

lol that has nothing to do with it. it's all geography. And NY bucks are underrated. There are some nice deer in this state.

Geography? No it's not geography those states make concerted efforts with the hunters in their state to not kill 1 1/2 year old deer,earn a buck programs,shorter hunting seasons,ect,ect,ect those deer aren't breathing different air than ours,or eating different foods than ours,their LIVING LONGER !!! There's hunters taking many more deer than they should be in ny.multiple buck tags from family members,signing over doe tags and on and on.the only areas that the herd needs to be thinned out is the urban areas,where hunting is not allowed,and not coincidently 150 class bucks are dying of old age.because not follow me.....because there not being killed as year and a half olds and you really should'nt lol at other peoples theories it makes you juvenile.

Geography? No it's not geography those states make concerted efforts with the hunters in their state to not kill 1 1/2 year old deer,earn a buck programs,shorter hunting seasons,ect,ect,ect those deer aren't breathing different air than ours,or eating different foods than ours,their LIVING LONGER !!! There's hunters taking many more deer than they should be in ny.multiple buck tags from family members,signing over doe tags and on and on.the only areas that the herd needs to be thinned out is the urban areas,where hunting is not allowed,and not coincidently 150 class bucks are dying of old age.because not follow me.....because there not being killed as year and a half olds and you really should'nt lol at other peoples theories it makes you juvenile.

Actually, he's largely correct. Soil quality is the foundation of what caliber deer can reach.

You can manage as best as possible as humans controlling the herd, but at some point, you can only do what the soil offers.

Let deer grow nice and old and fat, and cNY and wNY will offer much higher end bucks than areas around Albany.

WI has huge hunter pressure per square mile, yet it consistently leads record book entries. While management IS important, we must realize there are things out of our control that nature and biology drive.

Iowa is another example. Great human management of its resources. Arguably the best. But, fact is, the soil is so rich, the corn production in that state alone out-produces the entire NE US states including NY and PA. That same soil is what contributes to the 250" monsters that fall darn near every year.

Edited by phade

Btw, you spelled Internet wrong tough guy.

Actually it can be internet or Internet , it is often treated by media etc as a proper noun when infact its just an abbreviated form of "internetwork(ing)". So based on public usage it has been accepted as a proper noun but technically doesn't fit the requirement seeing as it is actually an abbreviation.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Actually, he's largely correct. Soil quality is the foundation of what caliber deer can reach.

You can manage as best as possible as humans controlling the herd, but at some point, you can only do what the soil offers.

Let deer grow nice and old and fat, and cNY and wNY will offer much higher end bucks than areas around Albany.

WI has huge hunter pressure per square mile, yet it consistently leads record book entries. While management IS important, we must realize there are things out of our control that nature and biology drive.

Iowa is another example. Great human management of its resources. Arguably the best. But, fact is, the soil is so rich, the corn production in that state alone out-produces the entire NE US states including NY and PA. That same soil is what contributes to the 250" monsters that fall darn near every year.

Lets not just focus on rack size. Studies have shown the temp doesn't necessarily alter rack size, but drastically alters deer size. Compare a WI buck that needs the size to survive the harsh winters with a Texas buck and it's no contest. The racks in the midwest are generally a result of excellent feed, and the correct feed to grow the deer and their antlers.

Lets not just focus on rack size. Studies have shown the temp doesn't necessarily alter rack size, but drastically alters deer size. Compare a WI buck that needs the size to survive the harsh winters with a Texas buck and it's no contest. The racks in the midwest are generally a result of excellent feed, and the correct feed to grow the deer and their antlers.

Body size is more of a latitude relation.

as of Oct 26th (northern zone regular season opener) you could have legally shot two deer with a bow.  one before then with your either sex bow/ml tag and then one with your regular season buck tag.  if you're in the southern zone I don't see how you could legally have taken two bucks.  now before this year some zones would give you a bonus DMP if you turned a doe into a check station.  with that bonus DMP you could take a buck but they aren't allowing bucks to be taken with this tag this year.  I think it's a good thing.

Actually it can be internet or Internet , it is often treated by media etc as a proper noun when infact its just an abbreviated form of "internetwork(ing)". So based on public usage it has been accepted as a proper noun but technically doesn't fit the requirement seeing as it is actually an abbreviation.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

You sir, just slayed a spelling Nazi

• Like 1

partially agree... temp (consequently latitude) effecting body size is called Bergmann's rule.  I do think that Midwest bucks have little to do with feed, but more to do with average age structure compared to here.  then after that a little has to do with mineral rich soil.  feed wise we've got everything they've got in general, not saying a particular local area.

you guys are ignoring the fact that those states and their hunters actively participate in their herds health.many of their counties are qdm resticted,many or most have an earn a buck program and most if not all require physically registering your kill with the state at check stations,and nobody elses tag better be on it.now yes one can argue that temp,or feed including micro-minerals,help with antler size...but if we managed our herd like those states theres no doubt we would have the comparable quality herd.the suburban monsters we see in this state are walking proof that older bucks in this state are just as impressive as any states deer.

you guys are ignoring the fact that those states and their hunters actively participate in their herds health.many of their counties are qdm resticted,many or most have an earn a buck program and most if not all require physically registering your kill with the state at check stations,and nobody elses tag better be on it.now yes one can argue that temp,or feed including micro-minerals,help with antler size...but if we managed our herd like those states theres no doubt we would have the comparable quality herd.the suburban monsters we see in this state are walking proof that older bucks in this state are just as impressive as any states deer.

These are all proven scientific studies. I'm not arguing anything. What's to argue?

lol that has nothing to do with it. it's all geography. And NY bucks are underrated. There are some nice deer in this state.

You said it's ALL geography,after you needed to lol,your not correct it's not all geography, if year and a half old deer were killed as regularly in those states as they are in nys all the minerals in the ground would not do those deer a bit of good.i have hunted whitetail deer in oh,wi,and michigan and have hunted in nys for 30 years in allegany ny,gun and bow about 35 days per season.have see tons of deer in that area dwindle to almost nothing.saw 3 hunters on a Doe permit to 3 doe permits per hunter.remember seeing deer on deer poles at the camps that made me sick they were so small.then all of a sudden there were no more deer in the woods.and nobody saw it coming?yet hunters today still take deer they should'nt take.i along with about 4 other people own about a thousand acres of hunting land contiguously about ten years we got together and decided no more does and nothing smaller than an 8,the results have been stunning.

These are all proven scientific studies. I'm not arguing anything. What's to argue?

My concern is that hunters that are feed lines like yours, about how these "scientific studies" are the tell all end all reasons why our bucks are inferior, will never consider allowing a small buck to walk because it really won't make a difference.well people IT WILL. i know the it's all about me is hard to set aside but it would not take long to see the results.there also are as many proven scientific studies that say deer age affects deer size and antler growth. LET THE LITTLE ONES WALK!