Plumbing question

First-light

My heating system has this type of valve on the return. I need to bleed the system for an air lock (changed a gasket on circ pump) 

The valve has a hose hookup and a nut above it. On the back is a turn screw that only move a half turn. How does this actually work. I imagine one closes the valve and the other opens or do I just turn the screw?????

post-156-0-32490400-1383139795_thumb.jpg

Edited by First-light

Just put some towels down. Shouldn't be too bad. I worked for my father in law for a couple months doing service and installs on boilers and hot air furnaces. We bled air from the circ all the time. A Lot of service calls led to bad old worn out circs so when we would swap them we just bled it before tightening them down all the way.

Don't forget to change the filter and nozzle! Will help your unit run more efficient

Hey. That is a fill?drain valve. On each fin tube onthe supply side there is probably a 90 or Tee and on the top will be a small needle valve. This is where the air will accumulate and where you vent it.

if the fin tube is what's inside the baseboard, I agree...the air will usually get trapped at the highest point.

That is the bleed valve. Turn off system and attach hose then turn screw the half turn until it stops open hose connection and lift handle on feed valve to increase pressure but watch the gauge you don't want to go over 20 psi because the relief valve will open at 30psi and dump water on floor. this is a saftey so it needs to be able to do it but you don't want to trigger it. If you can't increase pressure like I said just close the hose connection until pressure builds up and open again. don't stop the first time you hear water becaue you will need to purge a lot of water to get the air out. You will probably need to do both zones. Good luck

The nut above the hose connection is the valve stem to open hose. Try not to strip it. Use adjustable wrench not pliers or channel locks. If hose connection leaks a little after you close it you need to get hose caps with washers to seal , but probably won't.

That is the bleed valve. Turn off system and attach hose then turn screw the half turn until it stops open hose connection and lift handle on feed valve to increase pressure but watch the gauge you don't want to go over 20 psi because the relief valve will open at 30psi and dump water on floor. this is a saftey so it needs to be able to do it but you don't want to trigger it. If you can't increase pressure like I said just close the hose connection until pressure builds up and open again. don't stop the first time you hear water becaue you will need to purge a lot of water to get the air out. You will probably need to do both zones. Good luck

sounds like you are describing filling the system?

Awesome, this sounds exactly right. Kind of what I was thinking but just didn't know what the nut above the hose connection did. 

Thanks again Hunter I will give it a try tonight!

Culver, HW systems have a constant cold water feed with a press reducing valve. Usually set at 12psi but 18psi for three story buildings. The other end of the hose goes into a drain or out the door if the boiler is in the garage. The bleed valve in pic shuts off the boiler side and forces water through system and pushes air out. First light, don't forget to open half turn screw stop when done to allow circulation.

Gave it a shot last night. Bled out both lines dumped about 30 gallons from each. Fired her back up and got heat in all rooms except one upstairs bedroom.

I'll give it another try on Sunday, got "hunten" on my mind!!!!!!!

Is that a room where the needle valve is working? Usually the upper floor is the hardest to bleed.