Got new knives yesterday

blackradio

Ordered 2 Victorinox boning knives, a carving knife and a santuko knife. Excited to butcher my next deer and prepare it.

The knives came super sharp, so sharp that when I pulled the boning knife out of the cover, I sliced my palm open a good

2.5". Happened so fast, I never really cut myself like this before. Luckily it was my palm and not my wrist or finger.

Anyway, I'm excited to butcher my deer with this boning knife instead of my little pocket knife.

• 2 weeks later...

I invested in two boning knives from them too, one is semi stiff and straight, the other is flexible and slightly curved. Those two knives are 99% all I use when processing a deer. So glad I listened to the butchers that I shadowed and decided to go with victorinox, great bang for the buck and the grip on the handles are nice too.

Congrats on your knives - I'm sure they'll serve you well.  The most important thing about choosing knives is how they feel in your hand.  There are many quality knife brands out there but how they fit your hand really is the key in how well and effortlessly they will work for you.   What I love (Henckels Professional S) you may hate and visa-versa.  I always tell folks to go to a store where you can handle the knives prior to a final decision.

Also, HAND WASH ONLY. Dishwashers are extremely bad for knives.  Immediately after use, hand wash, hand dry, and store properly.  If using a wooden knife block, insert the knives with the blade facing up so that it doesn't rub on the wood.

As for sharpening, I've tried and tried to sharpen by hand using oil stones, etc and I just can't get it right. I'll make them duller. I finally settled on the Chefs Choice 3 stage sharpener.  It actually does a pretty decent job on them.  Once every couple of years or so I take them to Warren Cutlery in Rhinebeck and have them sharpen them.

Enjoy your new knives.

Ever tried a Havalon knife?

I started using one a few years ago. The blades are made of surgical steel (just like

the surgeons use during operations). They are super sharp and can be used for the

butchering of a few deer before the blade needs to be replaced. The replacement blades come in a 12 pack so they'll last for years.

Check out their website.

Congrats on your knives - I'm sure they'll serve you well. The most important thing about choosing knives is how they feel in your hand. There are many quality knife brands out there but how they fit your hand really is the key in how well and effortlessly they will work for you. What I love (Henckels Professional S) you may hate and visa-versa. I always tell folks to go to a store where you can handle the knives prior to a final decision.

Also, HAND WASH ONLY. Dishwashers are extremely bad for knives. Immediately after use, hand wash, hand dry, and store properly. If using a wooden knife block, insert the knives with the blade facing up so that it doesn't rub on the wood.

As for sharpening, I've tried and tried to sharpen by hand using oil stones, etc and I just can't get it right. I'll make them duller. I finally settled on the Chefs Choice 3 stage sharpener. It actually does a pretty decent job on them. Once every couple of years or so I take them to Warren Cutlery in Rhinebeck and have them sharpen them.

Enjoy your new knives.

Steve, don't have a dishwasher, but why would it be bad for the knives? Assuming there is no wood on the handle that is.

When I started sharpening, I too would make my knives worse off than I started. All that has changed now and I can get most knives as sharp as new, sometimes even sharper. I enjoy sharpening knives manually. I sharpened a few knives for a member here, and by the sounds of it, he was happy with the work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want a sharp knife or other cutting tools buy a paper wheel. that is how razor blades are sharpened when they are made.Or visit an old time barber.

As azhunteress replacable blades are another way to go.Dr's usem them on scaples.

Use one of the kitchen plastic or natural brissle brushes to clean them, air dry them and put them in a protective plastic.sleeve.    

I hand wash all mine and dry them if it's a fixed blade.  otherwise folders get blown out and dried then left high up on the window sill open in the sun light to dry completely.  hand sharpening is good if you've got some practice and a guide of some kind.  otherwise I use a fixed ceramic "v" with honing solution or soapy water.   don't have them but heard lots of good things about havilon knives.

If you want a sharp knife or other cutting tools buy a paper wheel. that is how razor blades are sharpened when they are made.Or visit an old time barber.

As azhunteress replacable blades are another way to go.Dr's usem them on scaples.

Use one of the kitchen plastic or natural brissle brushes to clean them, air dry them and put them in a protective plastic.sleeve.

Paper wheel still requires compound to help strop the edge. You can do the same with a leather belt.

Dishwashers are bad for various reasons Shawn but the main one is the probability of them smacking your knife around and damaging the edge. Only takes a second to wash and dry 'em.

I WISH I could hand sharpen. Believe me, I've tried but just doesn't sink in

Makes sense about the knocking around. Thanks Steve.

I hand wash all mine and dry them if it's a fixed blade. otherwise folders get blown out and dried then left high up on the window sill open in the sun light to dry completely. hand sharpening is good if you've got some practice and a guide of some kind. otherwise I use a fixed ceramic "v" with honing solution or soapy water. don't have them but heard lots of good things about havilon knives.

I hand sharpen, without any guides. Just practice.

I hand sharpen, without any guides. Just practice.

I believe it... with practice you can hold it at the right angle.  many I know that do it use fingers or thumbs against and along the stone or rod as technically a guide.  not sure if you do anything like that or not.

I believe it... with practice you can hold it at the right angle. many I know that do it use fingers or thumbs against and along the stone or rod as technically a guide. not sure if you do anything like that or not.

If I was just re-sharpening, I'll find the current angle and work with that. If I am re-shaping the grind, I'll use figures then muscle memory afterwards.

I prefer USA made knives.  My next for butchering/kitchen work will be Dexter Russell from Cabela's.   They are high carbon steel...easily sharpened with a DMT diamond stone.  (For the record, sharpening a knife is a skill easily mastered.)

You know what they say about opinions don't you?

• Like 1