so where should I hunt saturday morning???

waterweasle

ok guys some thoughts please, the general spot I plan on sitting on Saturday morning is a powerline, I've sat there a lot in afternoons and always saw deer, was thinking of hitting that first thing in the AM, then for the afternoon hunt going about 100 or so yards into the weoods where the deer may be staging before coming out again..................what would you guys do, hunt the woods and not worry about the open lines, or any other combo?

Tough call 2 days before the opener.  If you saw deer in the power lines in the afternoon you may blow them out of there in the morning.  Not knowing the area you hunt you may be better off staying in the hardwoods and have them come out of the fields to you and hunt power lines in the afternoon.  Just my thoughts FWIW.

I tend to hunt in escape routes that enter thick cover and let other hunters move the deer to me.

If I hunt secluded areas that don't see many other guys I usually set up on a ridge to cover the most area.

The deer are on their feet and moving around, so you can't go wrong wherever you go.

Good luck out there! 

Edited by PREDATE
  • Like 2

I would have to cross the powerlines either way, s if I blew em out it would happen both times, though I can access my spot on the powerlines pretty silently in the dark

Gotcha.  With that said you may be better off sitting in the powerlines in the am.  I hunt over a powerline also near a heavy bedding area and they filter into the area mid-morning to bed up.  The big ones usually never make it there.  Good luck Saturday,

I like the powerlines, specially in the am.  You really get a farther line-of-sight to see where their crossing, what time, how many, high or low, and you can hunt the woods to what either side is closest to you.  Once you've got the info, you can then move to a spot to where they come back or wait for the following day to adjust to their movement.  Problem is some powerlines are so bushed out and full of cover that deer can cross in some areas and not even seem them.  Good luck on the weekend