Moon phase opening weekend

otis

BTW guys, heres some good reading about deer movements during the rut. This is a GPS study done in Northern PA (because yeah, none have been done above the 38th parallel according to some). It also mentions that the deer acted similarly to the deer done in the larger scale studies down south.

Anyway, good reading....

http://www.qdma.com/articles/is-the-lockdown-phase-a-myth

Moon Schmoon!

BTW guys, heres some good reading about deer movements during the rut. This is a GPS study done in Northern PA (because yeah, none have been done above the 38th parallel according to some). It also mentions that the deer acted similarly to the deer done in the larger scale studies down south.

Anyway, good reading....

Moon Schmoon!

Actually its pretty interesting, almost as much as the study I did from my desk.

This part is interesting

The increase in movement rates in November, Andy said, was equal for all time periods of the day. While the three bucks did move more at night in November than they did in October and December, they were also moving more at dawn, dusk and the middle of the day. Even in November, the daily movement peaks were still at dawn and dusk.

and this

One tip Andy offered for November hunters: You’re not wasting your time if you stay in the stand all day long. While morning and evening movements were always greater than mid-day, movement throughout daylight hours was double to quadruple the levels of pre-rut movement.

I always assumed it was the case though.

Anyway, good reading....

Moon Schmoon!

Pretty good article, sure makes ya think about all of the Rut myths. Thanks for sharing.

No problem. The more I read up on the GPS location studies, the less I believe in most of the popular theories about moon phases, lockdown, bucks going strictly nocturnal, etc. Its more of knowing the right places to be and being there at the right time. There are lots of things you can do to increase your chances, but most of it seems to be seat time in the woods.

Not seeing many rubs and scrapes in your area? This may be directly related to an absence of older bucks. According to Karl, one mature buck can make 1,000 to 1,200 rubs per year. Over a 90-day period that is 10 to 15 per day! This means a deer herd with an older age structure and balanced sex ratio can have over 3,000 rubs per square mile!

Wow! Makes passing on the 1.5's a little easier. Was talking with the neighboring hunter tonight and he was like if I see a nice spike or 4 tomorrow I'm gonna shoot. I looked at him and said we've been trying QDM the last couple years, maybe you should try it out. Frustrating!