Just oredered my new ML!

Caveman

I just ordered my new CVA Wolf at work and I'm already like a kid before Christmas.  I've never hunted with a muzzle loader (or even shot one for that matter) but I can't wait to give it a try.  I know every gun is different  but what do yo9u think is a good place to start as far as a load/bullet combo?

I went through the same thing with my Wolf. It's a decent M/L!

I would say 2x 50-50 Pyrodex or T7 and I've had luck with the 245gr powerbelts.

Yes there are better rounds out there and the gun is more accurate then I am but I'm using irons this year.

I recomend a little range time and some quick clean patches. They are presoaked with bore cleaner. Then there's the preventative patches for when your done. They also make these plastic or rubber 209 primer holders you can keep in your pocket, one of those is good to have and maybe a set of speed loader tubes.

I would run some rubbing alcohol down the barrel and in the breech plug to get rid of any left over factory oil.Or just fire a squib load before a range session.Make sure to read all manuals and safety info first too.ML are a blast and fun to use,enjoy it....

As for loads,T7 or pryrodex pellets would be the easiest,but harder to clean .Blackhorn 209 is loose powder and requires very little or no cleaning between shots.Its the real deal..

As for loads,I have had accurate results will power belts but would never use them on any game.Just my opinion..There are far more better bullets out there,Barnes,Thors,No excuse's and my favorite Hornady FPB in 300 or 350grain.

My cousin has the first version wolf and its a nice short gun.His was accurate with Shockwaves right out of the box at 75 yards.

ML are great to extended your season and offer another tag.Good luck using it this year and let the smoke fly !!!

Follow the manufacturers directions! I would initially try two pellets of 777 or whatever powder you prefer. I currently am shooting the 250 grain TC shockwaves. They load easily, are a bit more accurate at my ranges (50-75 yards) than the Powerbelts i used to shoot. Get yourself on the paper first before worrying about fine tuning- and remember to start close from a well padded firm rest, and dont rush it!

Well the manufacturers instructions are going to be somewhat biased since CVA makes Powerbelt bullets lol.  I was hoping to get a more objective opinion than, "Use the bullets that we make!" Especially since I've heard such terrible things about them.  Field and Stream actually did an article about the top four muzzle loader bullets on the market and Powerbelt came in last in terms of weight retention.  The top performers were actually the Barnes Expanders.