Hate when I do stupid s***!

cdmckane

I fired and cleaned my TC Pro Hunter FX this morning.  While I had everything out, I figured I'd throw a fresh coat of oil on the Wildcat.  Much to my surprise, the patch came out blacker than the ace of spades.  Apparently, I had pulled the breech plug and cleaned that, but hadn't cleaned the bore the last time I had it out.  Obviously, the clean breech plug on top of my gun cabinet told me that the rifle was clean.  WRONG!

I got it cleaned and oiled down.  I'll clean it again in a few days.  The bore doesn't appear to be pitted at all, so that's good.

I called my brother in law, who was here the last time I had it out.  Apparently, we had to go pull a friend out of the mud after he got his truck stuck before I finished cleaning weapons and my wife just put it away before we got home. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know the feeling, I shoot a cva optima,stainless steel barrel, I love it as it is so easy to clean, like cleaning a single shot shotgun! But I recently had a problem with the firing pin. It didn't fire, missed a doe because of it. I thought the pin was frozen as it was 11 degrees and I was totally covered in snow, but after I cleaned the gun and checked into it I realized that I had been neglecting to properly clean the firing pin assembly. Pulled it apart only to find the firing pin, spring, and bushing are totally rusted. I cleaned them as best I could oiled them up and it works fine but I am going to order replacements, just to be safe. It was totally my fault and could have been prevented. I now know better.

• 2 weeks later...