question about "doe tag"

jrm

I purchased a hunting license a a few weeks ago. It's my first time hunting/getting a license. Thought I understood the different types, but was asked a question I am not sure I understood.

I bought a "Super Sportsman." The clerk asked me if I wanted to buy a "doe tag" for an additional $10.

I am thinking this is a DMP tag. But I thought there was a different process for those and that they were issued for specific WMUs. The clerk didn't ask me which WMU I would be hunting in (or maybe he assumed I would be hunting in the same WMU where I bought the license.)

Can anyone shed some light on this and explain what the $10 "doe tag" is about?

Yes the Doe Management Permits(DMP's) are for specific Wildlife Management Units(WMU'S). It is a $10 application fee. They are given out on the spot with your license if you were chosen to receive them by the computer in the lottery style process. You should have been asked to pick 2 WMU's.

Well actually, when exactly did you purchase your license? The deadline for DMP's was October 1st. You may have just received a leftover. What WMU is listed on your tag?

I purchased my license in mid-November as my first chance to get into the field was just before Thanksgiving. The clerk never asked me about WMU preference - just asked if I wanted a doe tag. From what I saw online, these tags are difficult/impossible to get in my WMU. I figured the clerk didn't know what he was doing, so I declined the purchase (thus, I don't know what the tag would have said). The question caught me by surprise, but I also thought I would end up with a tag that I was not allowed to use because of the WMU I am actually hunting in.

I believe the DMP application period ends Oct 1.  Issuing agents are probably "prompted" to ask you for your selection when you apply before 10/1.  Left over DMP's aren't available until 11/1 and you might have to request one if purchasing your license after 11/1.  If the issuing clerk did ask you if you wished to purchase a DMP, and you said yes, they should have asked you which WMU(s) you wanted.

Edited by FX62

I don't think the clerk did anything wrong. She asked you if you wanted a doe tag and you said no. End of story. If you had said yes she would have asked you what WMU you wanted and you would have told her whatever one you wanted and then she would have said sorry you don't get one thank you for the $10 bucks here is you preference point...