Tips for using bait on yotes?

I have 2 rib cages left over from my brothers deer and my own was planing on chaining them up down at camp and sitting in my grandpas hunting blind about 75 yards up the hil and try to knock down a couple yotes any advice on this never used bait before but I need to get rid of some of these yotes at my place?

I've done alot of baiting on yotes.

Yes you should tie them off or you will find the carcass torn to shreds inside the nearest thicket/brush.

I like to set my baitpile close to thick cover, this will let them feel comfortable.

Keep the wind in your favor. They will sometimes scent check a baitpile before coming in, so if the downwind side is inside some cover then that is good. They will be hitting the bait mostly after dark, so you should set the bait so there is a backdrop of snow so you can see them approaching without shining a light.

I usually wait a few days or at least til they start hitting it before I hunt. Watch the bait on cold nights. They'll need to eat more when it's cold so if they've found your free meal, they will visit. I never pass a chance to yote hunt on a bitter cold night and if I'm just watching bait I get inside my sleeping bag. Good luck out there. I'll be setting my pile up tomorrow.

I know this is not an answer to your original question, but I have a slightly different bait method.

I hope you still have access to the guts (or stop buy any local processor, and they will probably give you some)

Take the scraps, let them get a little warm/rank if you can.  If not, this will still work.

Get a 5 gallon bucket. Wipe the inside with crisco, or any good grease (bacon grease is the BEST!) Fill the bucket with guts and scraps and water.  Less water, more guts.  Let it freeze.  Slide out the results and you have a solid gut-sicle!  Put that out as bait.  Yotes will gnaw at it for a while, giving you plenty of time to shoot.

A lot of times, hanging ribs, or using a loose bait pile, the yotes or fox will just grab and run.  This prevents that.  The grease does double duty of helping get the ice block out of the bucket, and seeping into the top layer of ice for scent and taste.

Just my $.02   :)

Joshua

I know this is not an answer to your original question, but I have a slightly different bait method.

I hope you still have access to the guts (or stop buy any local processor, and they will probably give you some)

Take the scraps, let them get a little warm/rank if you can. If not, this will still work.

Get a 5 gallon bucket. Wipe the inside with crisco, or any good grease (bacon grease is the BEST!) Fill the bucket with guts and scraps and water. Less water, more guts. Let it freeze. Slide out the results and you have a solid gut-sicle! Put that out as bait. Yotes will gnaw at it for a while, giving you plenty of time to shoot.

A lot of times, hanging ribs, or using a loose bait pile, the yotes or fox will just grab and run. This prevents that. The grease does double duty of helping get the ice block out of the bucket, and seeping into the top layer of ice for scent and taste.

Just my $.02 :)

Joshua

ill bring a 5 gallon bucket with me to camp and if someone gets a deer I'll go that

Take the scraps, let them get a little warm/rank if you can.  If not, this will still work.

Get a 5 gallon bucket. Wipe the inside with crisco, or any good grease (bacon grease is the BEST!) Fill the bucket with guts and scraps and water.  Less water, more guts.  Let it freeze.  Slide out the results and you have a solid gut-sicle!  Put that out as bait.  Yotes will gnaw at it for a while, giving you plenty of time to shoot.

A lot of times, hanging ribs, or using a loose bait pile, the yotes or fox will just grab and run.  This prevents that.  The grease does double duty of helping get the ice block out of the bucket, and seeping into the top layer of ice for scent and taste.

Joshua

Great Idea.  Got some left over peanut oil from frying up turkeys last year.  Thinking that will be the release agent for my gut-sicle !  :biggrin:

ill bring a 5 gallon bucket with me to camp and if someone gets a deer I'll go that

Just keep in mind that most deer processing places would LOVE to have someone take some of the scraps.  As Predate said too, any food scraps work, but with this method you really want it as stinky as possible.

Great Idea.  Got some left over peanut oil from frying up turkeys last year.  Thinking that will be the release agent for my gut-sicle !  :biggrin:

Just don't use Pam or some cooking spray crap.  It's too thin, and not smelly enough.  Be also careful of any burnt oil (or pieces of any burnt breading/flour or skin or whatever), as that will throw things off. Just run it through a screen first.  It also has to be thick enough to stick to the sides of the bucket and NOT settle to the bottom as it freezes.

Joshua

Joshua

Yes, "baitcicles" have been gaining in popularity over the last few years. Beaver carcasses have been used alot for them so let any local trappers know that you will take the carcasses. Another way to release the baitcicle from the bucket is to fill another bucket with warm water, then put the bait bucket in the warm water bucket. Once it's released, you can then put a hockey puck or a block of wood underneath the ice to prevent it from refreezing.

I think Brian Downs, a northeast predator hunter first came up with the "baitcicle". He has a radio show too called Foxpro's predator talkcast. You can follow this link and listen to past shows http://forum.gofoxpro.com/fp_forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56

You can, but that's inviting them to get downwind of you. Just like any time you call, you should start off calling softly and increase volume in increments. This way, nearby coyotes will be less likely to pinpoint your location and sometimes calling too loudly can spook predators that are close by.

I don't call over bait, if you choose to I would suggest using coyote vocalizations. This way they will come in with more of a territorial response rather than hunting wounded prey like they will when they hear distress sounds

Edited by PREDATE

It could take them a few days to find it or they could be on it the night you place it there. You never know. They have quite large home ranges(10 sq. miles). Once you get a bait site established, they will get used to checking it for fresh food whenever they come through there.

It is up to you what you do with them, but In my opinion if you take it, you should atleast get some value out of it. Coyotes pay pretty good.

I was told $35 a pelt last year, never got around to hunting them though. Maybe this year. There is some great advice in this thread.

I was told $35 a pelt last year, never got around to hunting them though. Maybe this year. There is some great advice in this thread.

It's all in color and how prime they are I've seen yotes put up go for $19 and some in the $30s... I agree u owe any critter killed to attempt to salvage something outta it but to each their own ...