Tips for using bait on yotes?

Canned tuna fish too.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Canned catfood is probably cheaper, but you'll catch alot of opossum and skunks too with fishy stuff. Something sweet(anise) is a good coon bait. Coons can be caught with a plastic crayfish placed on a submerged trap pan. They'll do the same with a piece of aluminum foil.

Great idea of using frozen bait of deer bits, and so on. I would like to see an individual coyote hunter have 24 hour per day coverage on coyote elimination by leaving, during non-stand hours, a small coyote gulp package of bait tied into a portion of a womans stocking. tie off both ends and leave next to the gut-icicle. When the hunter is away, at least there is a shot of getting a coyote by means of the coyote swallowing the morsel, and having the coyote eventually die of digestive tract issues. Of course, keep the domestic animals away from this set-up. Just my 2 cents.

Great idea of using frozen bait of deer bits, and so on. I would like to see an individual coyote hunter have 24 hour per day coverage on coyote elimination by leaving, during non-stand hours, a small coyote gulp package of bait tied into a portion of a womans stocking. tie off both ends and leave next to the gut-icicle. When the hunter is away, at least there is a shot of getting a coyote by means of the coyote swallowing the morsel, and having the coyote eventually die of digestive tract issues. Of course, keep the domestic animals away from this set-up. Just my 2 cents.

That's got to be an agonizing death....

That is seriously wrong on all levels. Don't you think all animals deserve an ethical kill?

There'a a couple of things wrong with what you said. First off anybody who does this is by no means a hunter. Also, it is a fact that coyotes cannot be eliminated.

• Like 2

Can you hunt coyotes without baiting or calling?

I guess you could just decoy, but calling while doing so will greatly improve your odds. Calling doesn't mean you need a $600 FOXPRO either. You can pick up a hand call for $15 or you can just lipsqueak. That's where you sorta kiss the back of your hand to create a squeak. I've kidnapped a few of my dogs squeaker toys and stole the squeaker bulb out of them. She has so many that she doesn't care! lol

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I like baiting for a full moon. bait a few nights ahead at the same time, early eve. And the full moon night, be waiting in your tree stand. They usually send in a scout yote first, then he goes away, and then the whole bunch of them will come in. That is if there is a pack of them. I also find that they like fresh meat, Not rotten meat .A Coyote is not a scavenger, he wants to kill his meal. Blast em all

Edited by NH Hunter in NY

I've found that the full moon generally keeps the yotes in the brush / woods because they can hunt their prey easier and because they realize that they can be seen out in the open. This is why I place my bait / stand in a spot where they feel more secure. This may mean that I have to sit closer to the bait and only get a quick shot opportunity with the shotgun as they cross a small clearing.

They are unpredictable and there is no hard fast rule. For example, a good amount of predator hunters won't venture out on a night with high winds and snow because they think the yotes will be hunkered down, but I call that hogwash! I think just the opposite in where they can't hear their surroundings as good when they are in the brush on windy nights so they come out in the open to utilize their sight more.