Red Wolves In New York State ?

Water Rat

From what I understand Eastern timber wolves are a subspecies of gray wolves. But Gray wolves are not all Eastern Timber wolves. So they technically are not the same thing. A gray wolf in western Canada is not an eastern timber wolf. But I think they call gray wolves Timber wolves, I think they are the same thing. A timber wolf in western Canada is a Gray wolf.

Edited by dhuntley2

well the arctic wolf is a subspecies of the gray wolf too, just like the eastern timber wolf.

I'm sorry, but I disagree. If you want to call wolves Eastern or Western based on location, that's fine. The "Timber" part has nothing to do with eastern wolves.

According to this > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subspecies_of_Canis_lupus there are tons of subspecies, and a "timber wolf" is not one of them.

Also, according to SCI Record Books. There are 3 Wolf Categories:

• North America Gray Wolf
  • Europe Gray Wolf
  • Asia Gray Wolf

OK if you look at the map at the present distribution of the wolf subspecies. The bright green in the eastern part if north america says eastern timber wolf. So yes this does mention the eastern timber wolf as a subspecies of the gray wolf. A timber wolf is not a subspecies it is the same as a gray wolf. The EASTERN timber wolf is the subspecies.

Edited by dhuntley2