How many are aware of this law?

You may hunt furbearers with a rifle chambered in any cartridge, except that during any open season for deer - including archery, muzzleloading and regular seasons - you may not possess a rifle larger than .22 caliber rimfire afield, during the day or night, to hunt wildlife, including furbearers in any county or portion of a county where deer hunting with rifles is prohibited during the regular deer season. Centerfire rifles smaller than .22 caliber are permitted.

There.

• Like 1

Still would like someone to underline the part that says you can use any rifle during deer season... it only states that you cannot... nowhere does it say you CAN...as written.

Correct and that is what I been saying is the gray area.  Been told on here that I cant just read the first sentence, and I will retaliate by saying they cant leave out the middle and read the first and last sentence.  It is not written clearly at all.  It does not clearly say you can in rifle country. It does not say You may hunt furbearers with a rifle chambered in any cartridge, except that during any open season for deer - including archery, muzzleloading and regular seasons UNLESS YOUR IN RIFLE COUNTRY.  It also does not say You may hunt furbearers with a rifle chambered in any cartridge, except where deer hunting with rifles is prohibited

It clearly states You may hunt furbearers with a rifle chambered in any cartridge, except that during any open season for deer - including archery, muzzleloading and regular seasons.

Would this even be a discussion if it was worded in plain English. I think not. Its worded this way on purpose just like oh so many laws across this state.  I think the biggest problem is the fools writing the laws probably dont even have a clue what a furbearer or a rifle even is. 

Edited by wdswtr
  • Like 1

Correct and that is what I been saying is the gray area. Been told on here that I cant just read the first sentence, and I will retaliate by saying they cant leave out the middle and read the first and last sentence. It is not written clearly at all. It does not clearly say you can in rifle country. It does not say You may hunt furbearers with a rifle chambered in any cartridge, except that during any open season for deer - including archery, muzzleloading and regular seasons UNLESS YOUR IN RIFLE COUNTRY. It also does not say You may hunt furbearers with a rifle chambered in any cartridge, except where deer hunting with rifles is prohibited

It clearly states You may hunt furbearers with a rifle chambered in any cartridge, except that during any open season for deer - including archery, muzzleloading and regular seasons.

Would this even be a discussion if it was worded in plain English. I think not. Its worded this way on purpose just like oh so many laws across this state. I think the biggest problem is the fools writing the laws probably dont even have a clue what a furbearer or a rifle even is.

Please refer to above.

This is a discussion because some people CAN understand the regs, and others CAN'T. Those that can understand it will obviously find nothing wrong with it, and those that can't will blame the wording of the regs. Have you ever seen anyone say, I can't understand what he's talking about, let me go back to school? No. It's always someone else's fault.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://Facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Obviously you havent read or understood a thing I have said.  And since you yourself has said you had to get clarification from the DEC must mean you need to go back to school.  And its not a discussion about who can understand regs. Its about a particular regulation that has been asked about.  And if many people cant understand it, which has been noted already is it not the way its written?  Lets face it some are not as overwhelmingly as brilliant as you think you are, would not it be more clear for all if it was worded in plain English?  I think so and Im sure there are many others that would agree. Do you ever have any post that add some kind of contribution other than bashing on here?  Enough you do it on every thread.  Its old man, old.

ok I will try to make this simple. The first line clearly says you can hunt with any caliber rifle. The next lines are talking about areas that you cannot use a rifle during deer season. So if you are in an area where you CAN use a rifle during deer season you do not have to worry about any of those words. If you are in a rifle prohibited area for deer you have to use a caliber smaller than .22 to hunt furbearers during deer season.

Also I am not sure where the OP got this wording from in the online reg book it is written in much simpler English and clearly states that you can hunt with a rifle in areas that have rifle for deer. Maybe you should read that to clear up what you are confused about.  

Edited by dhuntley2
  • Like 1

That whole first part is one sentence. You keep breaking it up to make it confusing. You have to read it all together, as soon as you break it up you are taking what they are trying to say out of context. So yes it clearly says you can hunt furbearers with any caliber rifle. Again, the except part is only for areas where rifles are prohibited during deer season.

• Like 1

I already know what the law is and you know what the law is.. you still don't get that from the way it is written... especially if you are new to hunting furbearers... and you still can't underline a part of that statement where it says that you CAN hunt coyotes during deer season.

You may hunt furbearers with a rifle chambered in any cartridge, except that during any open season for deer - including archery, muzzleloading and regular seasons... this is the sentence.. not the one you underlined.

Here is kind of what you did with your underlining:

You can kill all mammals during an open season for that mammal, excluding humans.

• Like 1

No, you aren't reading the whole sentence. I underlined the important parts, the sentence ends all the way at where it say prohibited rifle areas during deer season. This is why people are getting confused. You can't just read the first half of the sentence and end it there, it keeps going. That is where it says you CAN right in the beginning, all the way to where it says where rifles are prohibited during deer season. Read the whole sentence not just half of it. And where did you quote this from it is written very simple and clear on the online regs book. It clearly says you can hunt forbearers with a rifle in a rifle deer area.

Edited by dhuntley2

No, you aren't reading the whole sentence. I underlined the important parts, the sentence ends all the way at where it say prohibited rifle areas during deer season. This is why people are getting confused.  You can't just read the first half of the sentence and end it there, it keeps going. That is where it says you CAN right in the beginning, all the way to where it says where rifles are prohibited during deer season. Read the whole sentence not just half of it.

It says CAN and EXCEPT during all parts of deer season in the same sentence... and as you just said.. "This is why people are getting confused".. that was my point and still is... the way it is worded is confusing to a lot of hunters. The rest of the sentence even put with the first part only says you can't use large caliber rifles in non rifle areas... it doesn't clearly say anywhere that you can use them during deer season in rifle areas.

• Like 1

And again the except is for non rifle deer areas you have to keep reading all of it, stop picking parts and leaving parts out. I'm sorry reading comprehension is hard for some. To me it is written very clear. I'm done arguing the point.

Edited by dhuntley2
  • Like 1

ok I will try to make this simple. The first line clearly says you can hunt with any caliber rifle. The next lines are talking about areas that you cannot use a rifle during deer season. So if you are in an area where you CAN use a rifle during deer season you do not have to worry about any of those words. If you are in a rifle prohibited area for deer you have to use a caliber smaller than .22 to hunt furbearers during deer season.

Also I am not sure where the OP got this wording from in the online reg book it is written in much simpler English and clearly states that you can hunt with a rifle in areas that have rifle for deer. Maybe you should read that to clear up what you are confused about.  

The OP copied and pasted the law exactly as written directly from the DEC website... Like I said before... just because you and I are familiar with hunting furbearers and know the law doesn't mean it was written clearly enough for all hunters to understand (which it wasn't)

And again the except is for non rifle deer areas you have to keep reading all of it, stop picking parts and leaving parts out. I'm sorry reading comprehension is hard for some. To me it is written very clear. I'm done arguing the point.

Its easy to make sense of it when you keep adding words that aren't in the original statement.. so far you have re-written the actual language a couple times to make your point.. which actually has been good for making my point.. thanks

You know there is hardly a law that you can look at where you don't come away shaking your head with a whole bunch of brand new questions in your head. What they need is a few more whereas's and therefore's and hence-forths, and thereby's .....lol.

• Like 1

You know there is hardly a law that you can look at where you don't come away shaking your head with a whole bunch of brand new questions in your head. What they need is a few more whereas's and therefore's and hence-forths, and thereby's .....lol.

I agree.. in this case though I think all they need to do is to tell more about what you CAN do along with what you can't do. A couple extra words would have done the trick quite easily.

I agree.. in this case though I think all they need to do is to tell more about what you CAN do along with what you can't do. A couple extra words would have done the trick quite easily.

Yeah, it wouldn't have taken a whole lot to make it crystal clear. You know for people with tons of legal education and lawyers that are supposed to be great word-smiths, these guys that actually compose laws sure do get it wrong an awful lot of the time.