How many are aware of this law?

You may hunt furbearers with a rifle chambered in any cartridge, except that during any open season for deer - including archery, muzzleloading and regular seasons - you may not possess a rifle larger than .22 caliber rimfire afield, during the day or night, to hunt wildlife, including furbearers in any county or portion of a county where deer hunting with rifles is prohibited during the regular deer season. Centerfire rifles smaller than .22 caliber are permitted.

Wonder how many take a coyote while deer hunting thinking its okay? I think they mean you can't shoot a coyote with rifle in areas where rifle hunting for deer isn't permitting but it is written as if you can't shoot a deer with centerfire rifle during open deer season. I have had a bunch of hunters inquire so I went back and read it and can understand the confusion.

Edited by nyantler

It sounds like if you are in a county that allows only shotguns for deer hunting, you had better not be out afield hunting with center-fire rifles that are .22 caliber or larger for anything while any legal deer season is in progress.

However, this does bring up a question about target practice with such rifles. How do they distinguish between hunting and target shooting?

• Like 2

Wonder how many take a coyote while deer hunting thinking its okay? I think they mean you can't shoot a coyote with rifle in areas where rifle hunting for deer isn't permitting but it is written as if you can't shoot a deer with centerfire rifle during open deer season. I have had a bunch of hunters inquire so I went back and read it and can understand the confusion.

Knew about this, this is a new law for 2013-2014 season. Prior to this, it was Rimfire ONLY in a shotgun ONLY deer hunting area until the deer season was over, then CENTERFIRE would be allowed, in rifle friendly counties.

It's not really confusing, if you take the punctuation into account with the AND or ORs. In summary, they expanded the previous law in shotgun only areas to include centerfire .22 and under to be used for some small game.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://Facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

You may hunt furbearers with a rifle chambered in any cartridge, except that during any open season for deer - including archery, muzzleloading and regular seasons - you may not possess a rifle larger than .22 caliber rimfire afield, during the day or night, to hunt wildlife, including furbearers in any county or portion of a county where deer hunting with rifles is prohibited during the regular deer season. Centerfire rifles smaller than .22 caliber are permitted.

Not sure what the issue is?  It says right there that it is completely legal to shoot coyotes with a rifle during deer season providing you are in an area where a rifle is a legal implement.

Not sure what the issue is?  It says right there that it is completely legal to shoot coyotes with a rifle during deer season providing you are in an area where a rifle is a legal implement.

The first sentence only says you can use any caliber rifle except during any of the deer season...The second sentence only says you can not use a rifle greater than .22 in non rifle areas... where in what is written does it say you can hunt coyotes during deer season with rifle? It doesn't... (remember this is how it is written, word for word, on the website and in the hunting guide).. that is the issue!

I know what the law is, but it is definitely not clear here for all hunters to understand.. I don't see the words " It is completely legal to shoot coyotes with rifle during deer season providing you are in an area where rifle is a legal implement" anywhere... please underline that in what is written in the hunting guide or on the DEC website so I can see it

Right where it says "furbearers".  NYS classifies a coyote as a furbearer.

"There are ten species of furbearers that may be hunted: coyote, bobcat, raccoon, red fox, gray fox, opossum, skunk, weasel, mink, and muskrat. Mink and muskrat may only be hunted under special conditions (see below)."

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/45559.html

Edited by covert

3N is shotgun only for deer. When deer season is over, can I use a rifle .22 or smaller? Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

You can use any centerfire caliber of your choice..243, .270, .300, etc. As long as NO deer seasons are active.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Reply #16 says any center fire Reply #17 says .22 or smaller Can someone else verify Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

you may not possess a rifle larger than .22 caliber rimfire afield, during the day or night, to hunt wildlife, including furbearers in any county or portion of a county where deer hunting with rifles is prohibited during the regular deer season. Centerfire rifles smaller than .22 caliber are permitted.

The verbage is really confusing to follow.  Its saying that if you hunt an area where Rifles are prohibited for regular deer season than you can not use a caliber larger than a rimfire 22. but also can use a centerfire rifle smaller than a .22.  It does not say you can use any caliber after the deer season is closed where rifle hunting big game is prohibited.   If that was the case and you could use anything larger than a 22 in those shotgun only areas than why the hell would it be a shotgun only area to begin with.  It wouldnt.  

Edited by wdswtr

Now this is what is really confusing to me.

You may hunt furbearers with a rifle chambered in any cartridge, except that during any open season for deer - including archery, muzzleloading and regular seasons

Which leads to tell me you cant hunt any furbearer during gun season with a rifle but any other legal implement is acceptable. But yet the season date starts Oct 1.  So its okay to take a shotgun coyote hunting during bow season but not a rifle even if you are in rifle country?  How much sense does that make? 

In putnam county, 3N you can only use shotgun to hunt deer. Outside of deer seasons you can use a rifle of any caliber, anytime of day. I have called many times and always got the same answer. I hunt with a .243 day and/or night for furbearers in January - March for many years.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

You may hunt furbearers with a rifle chambered in any cartridge, except that during any open season for deer - including archery, muzzleloading and regular seasons

Which leads to tell me you cant hunt any furbearer during gun season with a rifle but any other legal implement is acceptable. But yet the season date starts Oct 1. So its okay to take a shotgun coyote hunting during bow season but not a rifle even if you are in rifle country? How much sense does that make?

if you area is shotgun only you cannot uses a rifle larger the .22 during the season so October 1st to December 17
  • Like 1

Which leads to tell me you cant hunt any furbearer during gun season with a rifle but any other legal implement is acceptable. But yet the season date starts Oct 1.  So its okay to take a shotgun coyote hunting during bow season but not a rifle even if you are in rifle country?  How much sense does that make? 

If you are in rifle country, you can use a rifle for furbearers, even during bow season. Just not if you are in a shotgun only area. You left part of the wording out.