Jetboil Cooking Appliance

Now, I know some of you are wondering "How is this hunting gear??"

We'll I'll tell ya, sitting in the ladder stand mid day, eating a steaming hot meal make those frigid hours not so cold..

I  have the PCS, personal cooking system. It boils a cup of water in a  minute. It's a metal cup, with a neoprene cozy / handle around  it, and a heat collector built into the bottom. Also included are a snap lid & a cap for  the base of the cup to protect the collector. The cup twist mounts onto  the base/burner assembly.  Nothing special, the valve isn't that great  at low flame regulation, but with some work, you can simmer the cup's  contents. The fuel canisters screw mount onto the bottom of  the base. Its a blended fuel, so it burns hotter the alky or propane for  use at high altitudes/cold weather. When your done, you unscrew the  fuel can from the burner, & store it in the cup with the burner for a  compact package. Two years ago, I just toted cocoa, and bullion cubes, and a  few water bottles on my adventures.. I was happy, but I felt I could  enjoy this unit a little bit more.. Last year, I added Lipton Chicken  noodle with EXTRA noodles.. I didn't even leave the ladder stand. I  secured my gun, stood up, and fired up the Jetboil on the  seat, then dumped 1/2 of the water into a thermal cup for  cocoa, then added the Lipton's soup. Cooked it 4-5 minutes on low, then  unscrewed the burner, popped it in my bag, then sat & enjoyed a hot  lunch as the snow fell.. It was awesome & hopefully to be repeated  many more times..

The downside of all this hot food  enjoyability, is the fuel and a possible construction issue.

If you  cannot get fuel cans, your stuck. I usually have one int he unit,  another at camp, and extras in the truck.

The construction issue, isn't 'really' an issue. I've have found myself sliding down inclines on more than one occasion,  usually feet first, on my @$$, unloaded gun held at port arms, & pack on  my back.. and have destroyed some stuff from these 'rides'. I think you  could potentially ruin one of these units if it's at the bottom of your  bag. Knowing how I am, I secure the unit  in the top of the waterbladder pouch in my pack. Riding high in the bag,  no chance of me squishing it..

With a MSRP around $100, it's worth taking a  little extra care in toting it..

Jetboil PCS Page

Have a safe, warm hunt season this year,

NYDeer

• 4 weeks later...

I have one, but can't find it! :-[

The damn thing is probably in a 5gal bucket with some other camping stuff left in the garage after an early ML hunt in PA.  I was going to take it for the PA opener of gun this past Monday and Tuesday but came up empty handed on the search.

It sure would have helped as it was cold enough in the wind.

I'll look some more today for it.

the Stanley Thermos doesn't keep things hot for long .

I thought so at first too.. If your adding milk/cream,  it's cooling too much.. I mix up coffee with creamer/sugars in a big pyrex pitcher, then microwave covered for 3-5 minutes..  then place pitcher in sink & stir, to break surface tension, because sometimes it will spontaneously foam all up if you dont stir it after the micro.. then fill green Stanley.. You'll have HOT coffee all day..  You can also pre-heat the thermos with boiling water too for 15 minutes before filling, but with above microwave method its not needed..

I have one, but can't find it! :-[

The damn thing is probably in a 5gal bucket with some other camping stuff left in the garage after an early ML hunt in PA.  I was going to take it for the PA opener of gun this past Monday and Tuesday but came up empty handed on the search.

It sure would have helped as it was cold enough in the wind.

I'll look some more today for it.

I found it...............................

I sat all opening day this year, ate right at my post on the ridge..

This unit is good. One year, I had a propane stove become quite finicky in sub freezing temps. Ruined the trip, my hunt, and forced me to come in/home earlier than planned. Never again.

• 1 month later...

I've used a Jet Boil a couple times.  It sure does boil water in a hurry.  One thing you neglected to mention is that they're REALLY loud.  I wouldn't attempt to use one while hunting, that's for sure.

I'd look into an alcohol stove to use in the stand.  They're absolutely silent, but unfortunately don't have an off button, until they run out of fuel.

• 1 month later...

yep, just what I would want in a ladder stand 15+ ft. off the ground while tied to a tree.........................is something to catch me on fire.  Oh, did I mention all the bulky/highly flameable clothing I am wearing also......................................

I will stick with cold sandwiches and good layered clothing to keep me warm................................ LOL

FDXX75