Public Land in Albany and Rensselaer Counties???

518BowSlayer

Was wondering if anyone hunts state land in Albany or Rensselaer County and have any luck. My dad used to hunt partridge run years ago but I was thinking about trying the Louis Kier WMA or Black Creek Marsh. Also might try Grafton, Cherry Plain or the Capital District WMA. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I hunted Pittstown and Tibbets state forest for many years. Pittstown is a deer ghost town now that the state allowed the Mountain Bike association to put in trails everywhere. Went there last year, walked around for 3 hours and didn't even see a print. The Grafton side is now very overhunted. Tibbets is still ok. I hunt a little parcel of land in Waterford now whenever I come back to the area. It's not state land though. That area is tough. I live near Syracuse now and the hunting out here in Madison and Herkimer counties is great.

Pittstown and Tibbits suck.  I know because I live there.  Grafton is ok but not great.  better land north in Washington county or east toward the border.  Rensselaer county has a piss poor attitude when it comes to getting away from the "I got my legal deer".

• 2 weeks later...

I lived in Guilderland Center when I went to SUNY Albany in the late 80s.   Partridge run was a neat place - but if I had to deer hunt there I'd probably give it up.  There were pleantly of nice spots on the western edge of Albany that were huntable - with a little research and asking permission back them one could hunt nice spots..  I did my Reasearch Thesis in the Pine Bush - some of that was huntable by by bow but I never did - nice deer were seen there though.  Not sure what is its status these days but I'd look into it if I lived there,

I lived in Guilderland Center when I went to SUNY Albany in the late 80s.   Partridge run was a neat place - but if I had to deer hunt there I'd probably give it up.  There were pleantly of nice spots on the western edge of Albany that were huntable - with a little research and asking permission back them one could hunt nice spots..  I did my Reasearch Thesis in the Pine Bush - some of that was huntable by by bow but I never did - nice deer were seen there though.  Not sure what is its status these days but I'd look into it if I lived there,

still big deer in there on occasion.  though to bowhunt though, can't leave a stand and not many trees help you out with a climber.