Hobart visit 10/15-16

crappyice

25 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Not sure what you consider quite wealthy.  I do better than many income-wise but I don't consider myself wealthy either.  Still working and aid is not an option for me nor most of my partners.  Merit scholarships I hope will be in the cards.  Some 529 money but not enough to cover near that annual cost. 

Its simply price fixing by schools with mega endowments.  My daughter has her mind set on Harvard and might just have the grades, background and ambition to get there.  I shudder to think what the tuition will be.   I am thrilled that my son wants to go to a SUNY school.

I think you  might be pleasantly surprised, Ivys pick and choose their students and cover most of the tuition. The Harvard info we got said the average is $12k/year (she didnt get in sadly)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, moog5050 said:

The cost of education is ridiculous.   $320k for 4 years.   Assume that has to be paid out of pocket and instead was invested for 30-45 years (expected age of child to 50-65yrs old), my kid retires with $2.5-4.5 million in lieu of college with a reasonable 5-6% return.  Work a trade instead.  Its not like the degree guarantees the student great income potential either.   Crazy.  And this comes from someone that spent 8 years in post high school education.

My nephew is going into his second year of Uni. When he told me what it cost per year, I remarked that I didn't think he/it was worth it and suggested that he ask for half that in cash, invest, and study a trade. 

On 10/3/2022 at 7:00 AM, crappyice said:

Taking my baseball kid to visit with and hopefully lock up Hobart on 10/15-16.

Hobart is the next town over from me, but I'm picking up that there may be another Hobart in NY. Mine's on the WB Delaware. If it is my Hobart, happy to take you fishing for a day or let you hunt my property.

6 minutes ago, left field said:

My nephew is going into his second year of Uni. When he told me what it cost per year, I remarked that I didn't think he/it was worth it and suggested that he ask for half that in cash, invest, and study a trade. 

Hobart is the next town over from me, but I'm picking up that there may be another Hobart in NY. Mine's on the WB Delaware. If it is my Hobart, happy to take you fishing for a day or let you hunt my property.

Hobart University in finger lakes in the town of Geneva. Not the Hobart the town in delaware county

• Like 1

Very kind of you but Biz is unfortunately right again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, BizCT said:

Hobart University in finger lakes in the town of Geneva. Not the Hobart the town in delaware county

There's a Hobart University? The things you learn here.

12 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Very kind of you but Biz is unfortunately right again!

It happens.

Well of course all this was too good to be true. I guess D3 schools don't quite entertain like D1s like his crew brother has been experiencing. Turns out we are meeting the coaches and players Sunday morning for a tour and conversations and that's about it. I'm happy for him, but will file away all these invites for when he's hopefully there for real.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2022 at 6:24 PM, crappyice said:

Well of course all this was too good to be true. I guess D3 schools don't quite entertain like D1s like his crew brother has been experiencing. Turns out we are meeting the coaches and players Sunday morning for a tour and conversations and that's about it. I'm happy for him, but will file away all these invites for when he's hopefully there for real.

Glad I just saw this mrs nomad was putting pressure on doing something sat afternoon with her , yikes ! Looks like that’s the plan …