permanent ladder stands on public property?

Fingerlakesman

The overbearing question of this thread from what I see is "is it okay to use stands "permanently" on public land". I think it is okay if they are removed after every season. If everyone was able to place a stand in the woods, and leave it there, the woods would turn into a junk yard. I do think that if someone wants to set one up, live with the risk that it may be stolen or used, and respect the land, then it is okay to do.

• Like 1

. I do not think it is wrong though to use another persons stand they set up on public land. You are not stealing it. They do not own the land it is on, and I know if I left a stand on state land, I would understand if someone used mine when I wasn't there. I don't mind when someone uses a ground blind I made from deadfall, it did tick me off once when I went there and there was cigar wrappers and trash though.

This seems like odd logic..if followed, I could sit in or on your auto parked in a public place? Ok, as long as I pick up after myself..

This seems like odd logic..if followed, I could sit in or on your auto parked in a public place? Ok, as long as I pick up after myself..
a car left in a parking space, and a treestand left in the woods are two different things. If I wouldn't like someone sitting in my car, but I wouldn't mind someone using my stand. I wouldn't mind someone use my football I left at the park under a bench if they put it back. But I also wouldn't like someone using my phone I left on the bench when I took a pee.

I also clearly state I understand someone who would be against this. You can't be so pig headed to think your way is the right way of thinking.

I understand your logic.Personally I disagree..we all have our opinions.

I remember a day when I first started hunting . I wandered around for a mile or so into a large piece of State land. Found the perfect spot. After sitting there for a moment I noticed a treestand 30' over my head. So i climbed up.. I wasn't sitting for more than 20 minutes and an older gentleman came along. Turned out it was his stand. He was nice enough but was pretty clear in his explanation of how much work and time it took to set it up.. I felt like a lazy slob...needless to say I have changed my views since then.

I personally wouldn't use someone else stand just because I don't want to fall outa the damn thing.

but if someone else uses my stand and im not around I wouldn't care so much I guess. do I want them using it. hell no, don't want anyone screwing up my spot.

would I be pissed, yup.

but it is public land, I would be just as pissed if they were hunting from the ground under my stand. not over property issues, just me being a big baby. would I visibly show it, hell no caus3e  its public land.

someone using your stand is so much better than someone stealing your stand. if its an issue take the bottom sticks when you leave.

I had this afternoon off, so went on walkabout.. Everything around here is frozen like a rock(a very slippery one)....So I probably covered 4-5 miles in a local WMA. It's funny that we were talking about stands on public land. I ran across 4 or at least remnants ..lol.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

post-895-13893094835208_thumb.jpg

post-895-13893095018391_thumb.jpg

post-895-13893095182808_thumb.jpg

post-895-1389309532405_thumb.jpg

Well put it this way if the person who took his own time and effort to make a permanent stand on public property should already know that someone is gonna use it weather they get mad or not that's their problem .. now personally I wouldn't use any one else's stand cause 1 I don't know they treated it and what work or doesn't 2 I wouldn't ever sit in a stand that looks as flimsy as the ones in the pics above 3 I have my own climber that's safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The word "ethical" is probably a bit over-used, but I still stay away from criticizing those that do have some ethical considerations to their hunting practices and are not afraid to voice them. It's the ones that hate all thinking that relates to hunting ethics or opinions that bother me the most.