Making Marinara sauce for the last few hours, wonder if venison could make it...

burmjohn

Making Marinara sauce for the last few hours, wonder if venison could make it even better?

I'm a sauce nut...  I LOVE sauce / gravy / whatever you want to call it.  I have a few ways of making it, I use a combo of my mom's old recipe and my own.  I tend to wing things as I am going based on what I have on hand.  Tonight was 1 lb of chop meat and 1lb of spicy de-cased italian sausage.  A few 28 oz cans of tomatoes..  I think I used 1 can of crushed, 1 can of diced, 1 can of plum (I diced it up fine) and 1 can of regular whole tomatoes (diced up fine)...  Garlic, my weak point, I used the whole garlic bulb...  About 5 small onions (I'd guess a cup or cup and 1/2)...  Frozen parsley, oregano, red pepper flakes, black pepper, etc etc...  At least 1 cup of red wine, chianti, tomato paste, and some olive oil... 

Anyways long story short, venison? Why not? Anyone ever mix it in?

Well of course we mix it in, venison meatballs..mmmmm We too make our own sauce, we go an extra step and go pick the Plum tomatoes and process them at home. There is nothing better than homemade sauce made from freshly picked maters!!! We make several different style sauces and freeze them up for the rest of the year. We get alot of sauce out of two bushells of tomatoes and it only cost $34 this year to pick them. I am into getting food from the local farms and this is just another way of supporting them.

Home made sauce is definitely a great spot to start from. The over the counter stuff is usually way to over-spiced for me. The venison adds a great robust flavor to the sauce... I just do a little sauteed onion in the pot, add the sauce, salt basil and the meat. Let it come to a boil then simmer for about two hours.

• 10 years later...

So this was one of the first ever Topics in this thread I figured I’d revisit. I don’t use venison to flavor my sauce but I do cook certain venison dishes in the sauce...

Braciole, meatballs. And I was thinking about making venison parm this week

Let’s bring this old thread back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chef and Rob, those sound great.    Using venison for the braciole is brilliant.  I think my go to Venison with tomato sauce is Bolognese style using ground meat or ground sausage.    I love the tomato-less style of Bolognese too.  

My cousins camp has a special camp recipe with includes several slices of hot banana peppers and it is really good! 

• Like 2

ok i feel being italian  can give my 2c here marinara has no meat its just tomatoes garlic sometimes depending on whos the cook onions  and i like a little red pepper flakes @ the beginning when you saute the garlic and onions [very low heat] cause you'll burn the garlic. like when making spaghetti auoili if i spelled that right spaghetti with garlic and oil  .Why im saying this is because any tomato sauce starts with onions and garlic and my thing a little red pepper flakes .But in a meat sauce my grand mother and my mom always taught me to saute the meatballs and sausage first meatballs in oil sausage just add a little water [very little you dont want them to steam or boil  ] they will brown but dont worry about cooking though they will in the sauce , now with the meat done and on the side add your onions first low/ med heat when they sweat out add add the garlic when you smell the garlic add the paste for as many cans of tomatoes you got like 2 cans of paste you will see it get very dark [thats a good thing] then clean out the paste cans with red wine and add that to the pot [not much a 1/2 cup is plenty] to as they say deglaze the pot then add your tomatoes and the meat back raise the heat to bring to a lite boil and stir  lower the heat and go to church but stir first .When you come back skim and  the oil and foam that rises to the top and stir and taste if it taste acidic add a pinch of sugar and now add your salt and pepper but not too much cause you will taste again [see that was my job dip italian bread in it to see if it needs anything] and an hour before you serve add some fresh basil  and parsley ONLY no oregano [thats pizza sauce] or italian seasonings . PHEW!!! done now im hungary .Now if you want a meat sauce just take the sausage out of the casing and the ground  venison /beef or veal, beef and pork combo now if you want a bolognese which is a meat sauce too i can give you the recipe for that i made it alot with venison

My buddy makes a banging venison Ravi with ground meat.

I have made venison brociole and really enjoy it. I also like venison sausage in tomato sauce-adds something

Yea I do this all the time with the sausage in the sauce! It’s great

ok i feel being italian  can give my 2c here marinara has no meat its just tomatoes garlic sometimes depending on whos the cook onions  and i like a little red pepper flakes @ the beginning when you saute the garlic and onions [very low heat] cause you'll burn the garlic. like when making spaghetti auoili if i spelled that right spaghetti with garlic and oil  .Why im saying this is because any tomato sauce starts with onions and garlic and my thing a little red pepper flakes .But in a meat sauce my grand mother and my mom always taught me to saute the meatballs and sausage first meatballs in oil sausage just add a little water [very little you dont want them to steam or boil  ] they will brown but dont worry about cooking though they will in the sauce , now with the meat done and on the side add your onions first low/ med heat when they sweat out add add the garlic when you smell the garlic add the paste for as many cans of tomatoes you got like 2 cans of paste you will see it get very dark [thats a good thing] then clean out the paste cans with red wine and add that to the pot [not much a 1/2 cup is plenty] to as they say deglaze the pot then add your tomatoes and the meat back raise the heat to bring to a lite boil and stir  lower the heat and go to church but stir first .When you come back skim and  the oil and foam that rises to the top and stir and taste if it taste acidic add a pinch of sugar and now add your salt and pepper but not too much cause you will taste again [see that was my job dip italian bread in it to see if it needs anything] and an hour before you serve add some fresh basil  and parsley ONLY no oregano [thats pizza sauce] or italian seasonings . PHEW!!! done now im hungary .Now if you want a meat sauce just take the sausage out of the casing and the ground  venison /beef or veal, beef and pork combo now if you want a bolognese which is a meat sauce too i can give you the recipe for that i made it alot with venison

Agreed I’m a sauce purist and I guess since you shared I will share my secret recipe.

Start with olive oil very good olive oil and lots of chopped garlic. Sauté the garlic till it’s just starting to brown on the edges ever so slightly... throw in a few hand fulls of chopped parsley... stir fast for one minute... deglaze with two cups of white wine and reduce by half.

Now for the important part. Use Pomi tomatoes... one box of purée and one box of chopped. Take a whole red bell pepper and poke holes all over it with a fork.. drop in the sauce.

Slowly being the sauce to a strong simmer. Let it simmer for 10 min.... turn off add salt pepper and sugar to taste.

With the bell pepper sugar should not be needed

• Like 1