proposed ny legislation for this session

I will say this is only proposed at this time.  Copied from a friends email who is an assemblyman  be prepared

here is what our liberal friends hope to pass this year in Albany. this is not the time to back off::::
AGE TO SHOOT - proposals are out there to RAISE the legal shooting age, not lowering it so more of our kids can hunt
ARMOR PIERCING AMMO - they will try and ban all bullets by throwing them into the Armor Piercing Ammo category
CHILD SAFE - another attempted ban on guns, using kids as a scapegoat. No such technology exists to make guns 100% child-proof, just another infringement
DEALER EMPLOYEES - forcing dealers to do background checks on their employees, unnecessary
DEALER PRACTICES - requiring more paperwork, gun lockups at dealers, more insurance
DISGUISED GUN - making toy guns illegal
FIFTY CALIBER RIFLES - banning 50 cal and above guns, including shotguns, muzzleloaders and big game hunting rifles
INSURANCE - requiring all gun owners to carry liability insurance
LEO EXEMPTION - exempting law enforcement from gun laws, treating civilians as 2nd class citizens, denying civilians their 2nd Amendment rights
MICORSTAMPING - unproven, costly technology
PISTOL LICENSE PRIVACY - help us keep pistol license information private, not have your name published in the news because you are a gun owner
PISTOL TRAINING - support legislation that allows pistol training on ranges before a carry permit is issued
POSSESSION IN PARKS - the anti's want to eliminate carrying in State Parks, many which are open to hunting
POSSESS PUBLIC FUNCTION - anti's want to ban carrying a firearm at any public function...another 2nd amendment infringement
SAFE STORAGE - anti's will require ALL guns locked up ALL the time

Anyone who thinks that gun control stops at the SAFE ACT, had better get think again. The safe act merely highlighted the fact that they can get away with unlimited constraints on personal gun ownership. There is no question about it. If they can get away with the SAFE ACT (and it looks likely), they can get away with anything .... 2nd Amendment be damned. You've only seen the beginning folks.

• Like 4

Most of these proposals are not new. Ive seen them year after year. We have to keep writing our reps to make sure they dont get passed.

The big difference is that they now have the SAFE ACT under their belt and are now believing that the gun lobby is a paper tiger. That little bit of doubt that was in their minds before will be erased if this election doesn't come out right. All these things that used to be laughed at and dismissed might just take on a different light for them.

• Like 1

I did not mean YOU, just that we all should make the effort to vote this year.

I'm simply saying, I heard this morning that MOST NEW YORK GUN OWNERS ARE NOT REGISTERED TO VOTE. Nothing will change if that does not change.

I am one of those who has learned from your posts by the way. Thank you.

I know one guy that refuses to register to vote...he claims it ties him to jury duty...but I thought your drives license did that....only thing is he's never been called...such a lousy excuse not to vote...he's a hunter...and has at least one shot gun and one rifle and a pistol permit...girl friend has a pistol permit... :fie:

• Like 1

The big difference is that they now have the SAFE ACT under their belt and are now believing that the gun lobby is a paper tiger. That little bit of doubt that was in their minds before will be erased if this election doesn't come out right. All these things that used to be laughed at and dismissed might just take on a different light for them.

They were proposed last year as well, after the SAFE act had passed.

I know one guy that refuses to register to vote...he claims it ties him to jury duty...but I thought your drives license did that....only thing is he's never been called...such a lousy excuse not to vote...he's a hunter...and has at least one shot gun and one rifle and a pistol permit...girl friend has a pistol permit... :fie:

Couldn't agree more.   Typically, potential jurors are selected randomly from registered voters, drivers license info, and possibly from unemployment records. It can vary.  I've served on three juries over the years and actually found the experience quite enlightening, especially the Federal drug case I sat on in White Plains.   Things look a bit different from the other side of that railing, lemme tell ya. 

unemployment benefits
unemployment benefits

I heard a report this morning that stated MOST New York gun owners are not registered to vote. Complaining on a forum does not change a thing.

Then it sounds like the rest of us have our work cut out for us, getting those people registered and heading for the voting booth this fall. Frankly, I don't know exactly what percentage of the general public are registered to vote or willing to vote. It could come down to whichever side does a better job of getting their people to the polls wins. Think about that.

And by the way, complaining on a forum does keep the issue alive and in the faces of those that would rather just forget about it all and idly watch our 2nd Amendment rights circling the bowl. At least it shows some interest in gun issues which is the first step in election victories. I welcome such discussions and see no value in criticizing those that contribute.

They were proposed last year as well, after the SAFE act had passed.

And like I said, if this next election does not go in our favor, you can expect those proposals to receive a whole lot more serious consideration. Once they learn that an anti-gun position is free from danger, the sky is the limit. In fact a win by those that signed the safe act may see that as a mandate for more aggressive gun-control legislation. These ridiculous proposals may all of a sudden grow legs.

Did you miss the part where I said we need to keep writing our reps?

No, and that is something that goes without saying. I have been talking about getting the vote right this fall and the importance of that, and the consequences of not doing that.

Hopefully everyone here understands the importance of being registered and actually getting out and voting.  If not then they are either just extremely complacent or lazy or both.  Either way, I don't think if they don't vote now that they will no matter what's said here.

Supporting the NRA, SCOPE (did you make your calls yesterday and today? ;)  ) and such organizations are also worthwhile ways to help. 

But, how do we reach the droves of gun owners who apparently aren't registered and don't seem to be paying attention and inform them that it's critical that they register and vote if they want to continue to own guns and be able to use them in New York?

Few, if any media outlets are going to help or carry any stories on it.  I suspect all of the hunt clubs are, and have been actively promoting the vote and what it means this time around.

How do we reach out to the complacent couch potatoes to understand and get off their butts and vote?

Part of this is to hold some type of informational sessions.  We started with letters to the editor in local papers to include the facts about the safe act.  The web page was always in the letter as well as contact info.  Organize into groups and hit door to door.  Bring registration forms as well as absentee forms.  As I stated on a different thread, we will need to adjoin with other groups who want Cuomo gone.  Strength in numbers.  Who really cares what group gets him gone as long as he is gone.  That is a great start. The group I helped organize started as a facebook page and grew into over 450 members.  We are now very active.  We take turns writing letters to the paper so it does not look like one wacko on a mission.  Get the facts, pass on the facts and keep doing so.  It is going to be an uphill battle, but we can win it. We now do sessions at the local civic clubs like lions vfw elks anyplace who will let us in and listen.   Molon Labe

Edited by bubba

Last November, we hired a bus on election day.  The bus owner is from my group, so hire is a strong word.  We paid for their fuel and they traveled all over taking people to polling places and home.  Think of it as literally taking them by the hand.  Meet with your local board of elections reps and get all the rules and regs there so you know what you can and can not do. 

I almost forgot one of the biggest players in the grassroots who are really with it and working hard.  Oathkeepers.  Google the for your area and look them up.  They are a great group and always looking for help to get the word out. I am a member of this group too

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCsQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Foathkeepers.net%2Fny%2F&ei=dTDXUtq4O428kQeLi4DoBA&usg=AFQjCNGwlKUP1Cx-L2YAxQbWxa81xvkhbA&sig2=NVvpwlvnOhcdY0nD2j0UPw

Edited by bubba

That is one thing that we often forget about ...... We are not the only people that want Cuomo gone. Gun owners are not alone. A motivated minority here, and a dedicated minority there and pretty soon you're talking about a voting majority. We need a whole lot less pessimism and a whole lot more action.