Pheasants

virgil

Any suggestions for cleaning and cooking pheasants. A buddy of mine has a bunch of birds and I'm looking forward to giving it a try. I've never cleaned or cooked pheasants. Just watched a couple of YouTube videos. But, they all seem to show you how to just pull the breasts out without the skin on. Seems like that'd make them cook up dry. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi Virgil... I cook all of my game birds without skin, but I make them cacciatore, which is Italian for hunter's style. Sauté onions and garlic in olive oil, add chopped tomato (I like pomi), add capers, red wine, oregano, basil, salt, black pepper, a little red pepper. All of this is in a large skillet that you can cover. Add the birds and cook covered for about 3 hours on a low setting with liquid covering the meat. Add wine if you need to add back more liquid. The meat will literally fall apart with a fork. Make some basmati rice and you're all set. Hopefully you will still have that bottle of wine to finish off with dinner too!

Let me know if you try the recipe.

Best of luck!!!

Bon appetit

Edited by clayshooter25

That'd be the best way to prepare them in my opinion.  Breast them BUT also pull the legs/thighs.  As far as the table, you can thank me later...............

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/baked-chicken-reuben/

I've been using this recipe for many years with both chicken and pheasant.  

The wife of my buddy Wally (who is on his death bed as we speak) has a wonderful old recipe for a sauerbraten and dumplings that is just amazing.  I have the recipe and my wife has tried to duplicate it but just isn't the same.  Mmmmmm good memories.....