Doe in heat????

Jason118

I have seen a fawn in Moose River during opening week still with spots.  Couldn't have been more than 2 weeks old, doubt it made that winter.  Doe will continue to cycle until impregnated.  This is one of the reasons exertion myopathy takes place in the wild.  Another reason I hate when towns try to use contraception for population control.  Extremely interesting episode, on Deer & Deer Hunting one of my favorite episodes.  That and the twin buck fawns make this my favorite DVD.

Quick preview. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F-YfLN-GJQ

Peter F is the Man!  Love his DVD's on talking to deer.  These have helped refine my calling for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

I think what happens is what makes them drop their horns is a drop in testosterone. This drop in testosterone makes it so they cant breed. Of course, there are exceptions to every rule.

An increase in testosterone in late summer is what causes their antlers to harden. A decrease after breeding season is what causes them to fall off. I would assume that a hot doe could trigger enough testosterone to jump start their hormones enough to make them want to breed her, even after their post season testosterone dump. I would also think that if enough does didn't get bred during the normal season, that the bucks wouldn't lose interest as fast and keep their rack longer.

I really am wondering if every buck that we see messing with a doe after normal breeding months really is having any success. I mean it might look like he's doing the job, but is he really? It may be a case of wishful thinking on his part ... lol.

• 10 months later...